Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who were your ins and outs?
Bare Minimum would of been Drop Clarke for Hannath/Griffin. Then drop a Suban/De Boer for Weller/Langdon. Thats it 2 changes. Rotate Weller/Langdon/Blakely from now until the Port game which we go full strength. Duffield for Grey would of been good but I reckon if we don't blood at least 1 kid by our last home game vs the demons, then I will be very angry.

Agreed. Would've liked to see Weller too. Outside of the inclusion of Weller tho, it's not like no changes were made. Some would've liked more changes or different outs but to go on like this is the end of times seems a bit much. Clarke, CP and Duff just had to go and Tabs and Croz had to come in.
I'm not convinced that we still won't see the kids soon but that the changes this week were of more urgency.
Mate, don't be such a drama queen - nobody is going on like this is the end of time. I recall this same discussion last week where you pooh pood anyone who suggested we were too conservative in our selections. It's a valid opinion - not saying it's right, but it is valid all the same.

Out of curiosity why did Clark, CP and Duff "just have to go" but Mayne, Ballas, D Pearce are still in? Why did Tabs and Croz have to come in? You defended the selectors last week when they were dropped.

Ross still don't play the youth :(
Oh well, at least we are still on top, may as well enjoy the ride...

Ross said at start of year that he would make changes to youth if by the bye we were 50/50 , 60/40 % of win loss, but if we were up there he would play what he believes is our best side which is most over mid twenties, so he is actually sticking to what he said. It's not changes I'd have made but he's at the coal face so will be an interesting run home and finish to the season.

When will everyone get over playing the rookies even against an apparent lesser team like Carlton. It could have been argued that Brisbane and Gold Coast were lesser teams but we sent our best 22 and only just got over the line. Currently our form doesn't allow us the luxury of debuting a rookie unfortunately and beleive it or not it's likely they won't perform any better at the role de Boer, Suban or perennial whipping boy D Pearce. Their time will come. I'd like to see the history of debutants for teams vying for top 2 over the course of a season.

N
PearceD can be hopeless (and mostly is) and I'd love it if RTB would make the call, but hoping one of our players gets injured is not on. Or was something lost in the translation?
Nah is true, hope he get it and retire like slyvia at the end of the season but with premiership.

When will everyone get over playing the rookies even against an apparent lesser team like Carlton. It could have been argued that Brisbane and Gold Coast were lesser teams but we sent our best 22 and only just got over the line. Currently our form doesn't allow us the luxury of debuting a rookie unfortunately and beleive it or not it's likely they won't perform any better at the role de Boer, Suban or perennial whipping boy D Pearce. Their time will come. I'd like to see the history of debutants for teams vying for top 2 over the course of a season.
My issue beetz is not with the ability of the players in the team now - they have shown they are capable of beating good sides and thrashing weak sides. My problem is that they aren't doing it, and the question has to be asked, why?

For me, bringing in youth may not replace an established player skills wise, but often they lift team morale and enthusiasm just by their inclusion. Look how much everyone gets around a player kicking his first goal, it is a lift for the whole team.

If we are too conservative to try anything new because we are only just getting over the line against bottom sides, we deserve thrashings like the Hawks handed us. It's not about just this game, it's about looking to the future.

Mate, don't be such a drama queen - nobody is going on like this is the end of time. I recall this same discussion last week where you pooh pood anyone who suggested we were too conservative in our selections. It's a valid opinion - not saying it's right, but it is valid all the same.

Out of curiosity why did Clark, CP and Duff "just have to go" but Mayne, Ballas, D Pearce are still in? Why did Tabs and Croz have to come in? You defended the selectors last week when they were dropped.
Huh? People have said RTB is cactus in the last couple pages. Dunno what pooh pooing is? I've had some debates on here about selections but can't recall pooh pooing anyone.

Clarke and Duff made numerous fundamental errors that cost us immensly and CP is injured. Tabs and Croz should never have been out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In the interview, Ross said if Hale & McEvoy can't play together then Sandi & Griff can. Looks like Clarke will be dropped. He deserves to be.

What a stupid thing to say. Hale is the best Key Forward of any ruckman in the AFL. None of our guys are.

That was a cracking conference with Lyon today. He's clearly rolled up his sleeves.

And yet all he's done is drop the same scapegoats while Suban, De Boer, Mayne and Ballantyne all keep their spots.

Huh? People have said RTB is cactus in the last couple pages. Dunno what pooh pooing is? I've had some debates on here about selections but can't recall pooh pooing anyone.

Clarke and Duff made numerous fundamental errors that cost us immensly and CP is injured. Tabs and Croz should never have been out.
All I can say is you're a lot more easily pleased than me! :)

As I stated, this week would of been good to play 1 kid. Only other easy home game we got left to blood kids is the last home game vs the demons.

For me I don't really care too much about the youth aspect, we have some guys in the WAFL who I think we need in the team and they happen to be young.

GWS game hopefully or yeah the Dees clash.

With Blakely and Weller named as emergencies, does that mean they will not play WAFL this week?

Lose - lose if that is the case.

Griffin can clunk one though, unlike Sandi and Clarke. Not a bad kick either.

Both Sandi and Clarke were in the top 10 contested markers in the league when we were undefeated before our run of wet weather.

And yet all he's done is drop the same scapegoats while Suban, De Boer, Mayne and Ballantyne all keep their spots.
I agree that Subes/De Boer should go and hopefully we see that in the next couple weeks. That said, half our problem was personnel, half was structural. Bringing changes around the ball and trying to focus on what went so horribly wrong is going to be pointless when we bring in too many on ball changes.

It seems like RTB isn't convinced that our fwds are the issue even tho he said that they were a few weeks ago. I think we are all on same page that Mayne and Ballas cannot continue playing the same ****ing role.

My issue beetz is not with the ability of the players in the team now - they have shown they are capable of beating good sides and thrashing weak sides. My problem is that they aren't doing it, and the question has to be asked, why?

For me, bringing in youth may not replace an established player skills wise, but often they lift team morale and enthusiasm just by their inclusion. Look how much everyone gets around a player kicking his first goal, it is a lift for the whole team.

If we are too conservative to try anything new because we are only just getting over the line against bottom sides, we deserve thrashings like the Hawks handed us. It's not about just this game, it's about looking to the future.

I agree and it is a fine line between playing for now and the future but Freo are persisting in working on a winning formula with the guys they are persisting with, there is no point blooding the youngsters during a time where finding form is a priority.

I am one who doesn't enjoy anything much more than watching Freo bring out the youngsters but there are bigger issues to sort like getting the game plan down pat with the likely best 22 utilising players who have been in the system, are AFL ready and would most likely provide more reward.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back