Opinion Round 16 Changes vs. Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is a joke. Is he actually Ross' son?

Ross is well known to like certain spuds. Looks like he hasn't learned from his mistakes at the Saints.

I suppose the 'raging bull' performance won Ross over.

From memory when Ross was asked at the start of the season who he predicted as our big improver/breakout player for the year he said Suban.
Nobody is perfect and RTB appears to have a bit of a stubborn streak when it comes to persisting with players that he thinks ought to be getting the job done regardless of whether or not they are doing it. Exhibit A - Suban, Exhibit B - Mayne.
Either of these guys could jump the fence and bugger a dog and they'd still get selected the following week.

Mayne is by far worse IMO. At least Suban is only taking up a sub spot. Mayne is taking up a key forward position and a big part of the reason why we can't score.

Mayne is by far worse IMO. At least Suban is only taking up a sub spot. Mayne is taking up a key forward position and a big part of the reason why we can't score.
The most annoying thing is that his first option seems to always be wanting to handball off to someone else instead of actually looking to score..

Either of these guys could jump the fence and bugger a dog and they'd still get selected the following week.

Now there's a mental image for you - think I'll refrain from bringing the dog to training for a while. thanks E-Shed for injecting a little levity into this thread.

Pretty happy with the changes, but for an enitirely different reason than usual; For ages I 've been wanting RTB to be far less predictable with his game plan, and he's finally delivered... I no longer have any frickin' idea at all what he's thinking, or what he's aiming to acchieve.

If I'm confused as all buggery with the logic behind some of these recent picks, then I can only assume that the opposing coaches are even more so. I figure he either knows exactly what he's doing, or he's clutching at straws. Ross doesn't remotely seem the clutching at straws type, so I figure he's working to a grand plan of sorts.

Hopefully this grand plan includes some sort of obsfucation of our playing style going towards the finals... otherwise it's time to start checking the rain-water tanks at Freo for hallucinogens, cane-toad venom, magic mushrooms or a side of beef with mad-cow disease.

The most annoying thing is that his first option seems to always be wanting to handball off to someone else instead of actually looking to score..

'Team player'

Since our game plan has shifted from applying less tackles I don't understand why he still gets a automatic pick.

I can see Ballas bouncing back this week, but Mayne will be the same. He should have been moved in defense long ago, as he is playing like Dawson.

Now there's a mental image for you - think I'll refrain from bringing the dog to training for a while. thanks E-Shed for injecting a little levity into this thread.

Pretty happy with the changes, but for an enitirely different reason than usual; For ages I 've been wanting RTB to be far less predictable with his game plan, and he's finally delivered... I no longer have any frickin' idea at all what he's thinking, or what he's aiming to acchieve.

If I'm confused as all buggery with the logic behind some of these recent picks, then I can only assume that the opposing coaches are even more so. I figure he either knows exactly what he's doing, or he's clutching at straws. Ross doesn't remotely seem the clutching at straws type, so I figure he's working to a grand plan of sorts.

Hopefully this grand plan includes some sort of obsfucation of our playing style going towards the finals... otherwise it's time to start checking the rain-water tanks at Freo for hallucinogens, cane-toad venom, magic mushrooms or a side of beef with mad-cow disease.

The MCG game will reveal all.

If we can't score for sh** on that day, we will know there is a genuine problem.

From memory when Ross was asked at the start of the season who he predicted as our big improver/breakout player for the year he said Suban.
Nobody is perfect and RTB appears to have a bit of a stubborn streak when it comes to persisting with players that he thinks ought to be getting the job done regardless of whether or not they are doing it. Exhibit A - Suban, Exhibit B - Mayne.
He's also always had a boner for Sheridan for some reason.

The big out that should happen for me is Sumich as our forward coach .
Pavlich needs to be reminded by RTB that the reason we were scoring better in the first 8 games was because he was playing closer to the goals and not to go hunting the ball on the wings and center bounce downs .
When he goes up the ground the opposition keeps an extra man back which means Ballas and Walters have to compete with tall defenders as well as their immediate opponent .
Can we give Sumich back to the eagles, and get Justin Longmuir home?

Nah, disagree. You can debate Mayne's role in the team, but making a 100+ gamer a sub against weak teams like Gold Coast and Brisbane is a waste of a potential development opportunity to a first year player in a strong side.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unless something changes regarding team selection and playing favourites I see this season heading towards being one of the biggest disappointments ever.
Promising so much and looking like grand final certainties to now playing like we are, is hugely upsetting.
The urgency and teamwork has disappeared.
Form displayed in crawling over the line against middle order teams will not get us into the Grand Final.
I am certainly no expert on football tactics, team structures, game plan or any of the nuances in our game but what I do know, in sport, business or every day life:
You reward good effort and results
If it doesn't work, then doing the same thing over and over again, more likely it still won't work.
If you are given a chance and don't grab it someone else should be given the opportunity.
Don't play favourites.

Agree with you here.It's called:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

Albert Einstein

Don't need the MCG for that, we already can't score..
We were scoring okay at the beginning of the year, Tabs has to play, and so bit it he needs to be subbed off. Has only struggled in the wet, etc,
and he isn't on his own there.
In all honesty we don't have that many options, Apeness, Duffy injured, Ross refuses to try the kids, and now its Clarke or Hannath or Griffen.
The only guys that have offensive games, Crozier, Mz, Weller, Langdon, and the older two must feel on the outer.

At best Suban will rack up 20 possessions, 4-5 of which will be turnovers that absolutely slaughter us...couple of nice plays and a stupid holding the ball. Rinse, repeat ad nauseum.
He's quite worthy of being on an AFL list but no way he should be best 22 in a top team.

I'm out of here.The lunatics have taken over the asylum.Doom gloom and more flopping doom.The club has never been in a stronger position.
The sooks , defeatists and trolls on here are sucking the life out of enjoying what is a great season.
Any one who has a positive attitude is howled down or given the sycophant tag.
I love the club,all the players and I love what Ross,Bond and the Steves are doing.I am enjoying being a Freo supporter.
I'll see the mates I made on here at the GF.

Perth area
Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Light winds.

Damp when we play.

Griffin and Sandi will be too top heavy/slow

Yep, especially with Tabs as well. It's a shame that Tabs can't ruck then we could go in with him as the back up ruckman and only play one true big slow lumbering ruckman.

Once Dawson comes back I'd like to see him in defense with both Macca and Pearce but only play one ruckman and Dawson backs up in the ruck.

Perth area
Partly cloudy. High (70%) chance of showers, most likely in the morning. Light winds.

Damp when we play.

Griffin and Sandi will be too top heavy/slow

Weatherzone says 50% chance of rain (clearing showers) and less then 1mm.

I'm out of here.The lunatics have taken over the asylum.Doom gloom and more flopping doom.The club has never been in a stronger position.
The sooks , defeatists and trolls on here are sucking the life out of enjoying what is a great season.
Any one who has a positive attitude is howled down or given the sycophant tag.
I love the club,all the players and I love what Ross,Bond and the Steves are doing.I am enjoying being a Freo supporter.
I'll see the mates I made on here at the GF.
You honestly can't tell me you are happy with the way we are playing at present.

I'm fairly certain that either Weller or Blakely is going to play as both are not named for Peel. If it's wet, might be Blakely.

Weatherzone says 50% chance of rain (clearing showers) and less then 1mm.

All the forecasts are saying morning showers. With our game at 5pm, should be dry by then. Light winds and lower humidity will also help.

I'm fairly certain that either Weller or Blakely is going to play as both are not named for Peel. If it's wet, might be Blakely.

Blakely not named as emergency. Could only be Weller, Langdon or Clarke.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back