Preview Round 16: Essendon vs Geelong, Kardinia Park, Friday 02/07/2021 @ 7:50 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In. Snelling, Francis, Cutler
Out Ham, Bzt, Hooker(1 week rest)

Forwardline..
Tall... Wright, Jones, Cox
Small... Stringer, Tippa, Waterman, Perkins, Snelling, Smith

More mobile and tackling pressure dramatically improves. Set Cox to spoil mode. Cats are slow in the backline. Draper a little more time forward if/when big body required.

Just an idea.

85% capacity now allowed and we’re playing this game on shithole of a ground. Ridiculous…like playing Spurs v Liverpool in Grimsby!
I think it's a little ridiculous that this match was not moved to the MCG. We have missed out on a home Dreamtime match, had a 25% capacity limit to another home game at the MCG, Hawthorne Essendon game moved from the MCG to Tasmania.

Victorian supporters have lost the opportunity to watch Essendon play in person a number of times this season already and playing this game at GMHBA again restricts nearly all Essendon supporters from attending again.

In- Francis, Cutler
Out- Zaharakis, Cox(Rest), Hooker(Rest)

Redman, Guelfi, Cutler and Ham to push through the wings and half back. Francis to play primarily as a half back flanker. While Zerk-Thatcher will chop out Draper in the ruck leaving Wright up Forward.

B J.Laverde J.Stewart N.Hind
HB J.Ridley B.Zerk-Thatcher D.Heppell
C T.Cutler Z.Merrett B.Ham
HF J.Stringer H.Jones W.Snelling
F A.Tipungwutti P.Wright D.Smith
FOLL: S.Draper K.Langford D.Parish
INTER: M.Redman, A.Francis, M.Guelfi, A.Perkins
Sub: A.Waterman

In- Francis, Cutler
Out- Zaharakis, Cox(Rest), Hooker(Rest)

Redman, Guelfi, Cutler and Ham to push through the wings and half back. Francis to play primarily as a half back flanker. While Zerk-Thatcher will chop out Draper in the ruck leaving Wright up Forward.

B J.Laverde J.Stewart N.Hind
HB J.Ridley B.Zerk-Thatcher D.Heppell
C T.Cutler Z.Merrett B.Ham
HF J.Stringer H.Jones W.Snelling
F A.Tipungwutti P.Wright D.Smith
FOLL: S.Draper K.Langford D.Parish
INTER: M.Redman, A.Francis, M.Guelfi, A.Perkins
Sub: A.Waterman

You’ve got Snelling in the team but not part of the “ins”.

Id take a close loss like the week gone. Impressed by our performance especially when the game was right on the line.

Only change would be Francis or Ambrose for BZT

Unless Shiel and Snelling are ready to go and then its probably Guelfi and Waterman who get left out. One as the sub

I'd drop Smith for Snelling as much as a line/standard setting move rather than anything.

If not drop Smith I'd give him a really specific defensive job this week. Really narrow down on what he brings to the team, try and set him up to grow from last week.

Francis probably needs to come in but I don't really mind BZT having another game or two, development wise.

I think this week could be a really good development game. Obviously want to win but some big jobs available for the younger guys to tackle. Smith on the wing and whoever is matched up on Stewart are two I'd be targetting as jobs to see what is required to be done.

I think I'd be relatively confident of a close game at the MCG but we are on a short break on their deck with them coming off a bad performance and us having given everything for the Melbourne game. I wouldn't be surprised by a letdown, but I'll be impressed and further convinced by the group if the level matches the Melbourne game.

Be nice to hopefully see some maturity using the ball. Shockingly the effort levels have been great pretty much all year, which is not something we have had for a long time. Now it's execution time, really need to start nailing the kicks going forward. Can't be turning it over like we are and using it so poorly.

I'd drop Smith for Snelling as much as a line/standard setting move rather than anything.

If not drop Smith I'd give him a really specific defensive job this week. Really narrow down on what he brings to the team, try and set him up to grow from last week.

Francis probably needs to come in but I don't really mind BZT having another game or two, development wise.

I think this week could be a really good development game. Obviously want to win but some big jobs available for the younger guys to tackle. Smith on the wing and whoever is matched up on Stewart are two I'd be targetting as jobs to see what is required to be done.

I think I'd be relatively confident of a close game at the MCG but we are on a short break on their deck with them coming off a bad performance and us having given everything for the Melbourne game. I wouldn't be surprised by a letdown, but I'll be impressed and further convinced by the group if the level matches the Melbourne game.

Be nice to hopefully see some maturity using the ball. Shockingly the effort levels have been great pretty much all year, which is not something we have had for a long time. Now it's execution time, really need to start nailing the kicks going forward. Can't be turning it over like we are and using it so poorly.
If Smith stays in, and i think he should, i'd put him on someone he can get under the skin of.
Perhaps his role should be somewhat of an attacking tagger. Go to Stewart or Selwood.

I liked Zerks game minus a few fumbles. But that will happen without continuity. If Francis is back, perhaps Heppell can push up the ground a bit more and play defensive side of the midfield.
And if we don't rest Cox, get him closer to goal.

Keep Waterman too. Someone hard at it to go head to head with Stewart.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon if Hooker gets a rest, they should keep BZT down back and throw Francis up forward.
Francis has played plenty of time up forward and is a strong grab, also a very nice kick for goal.

are people really calling for Cutler to come?

6H3M.gif

85% capacity now allowed and we’re playing this game on shithole of a ground. Ridiculous…like playing Spurs v Liverpool in Grimsby!
Where would Sheffield United play their home game against Man City?
Yours is a poor example.
The surface at KP is perfect.
Bombers are good enough to beat Geelong anywhere, including Geelong

Long term is a ridiculous idea but he might just have the legs to run with Smith. I mean he would currently only be holding out Zaharakis and the new kid isn't quite ready unfortunately.
Cutler are been in good VFL form. 35 touches vs Casey following on from best on ground pre-injury form. Is currently a better prospect than Ham. FWIW Ham is 22, and is still developing an AFL ready body (that might never come).

Yours is a poor example.
Sheff Utd aren’t one of the top drawing teams. Irrelevant anyway as for last 25 years it’s been at G like any other higher drawing teams. Denying tens of thousands chance to watch..and as someone else here posted, we’ve already had to travel interstate 7 times.

Yours is a poor example.
I think the gripe with KP is that it isn't in Melbourne. An interrupted season with more trips on the road than expected.... the natives are getting restless.

I think the gripe with KP is that it isn't in Melbourne. An interrupted season with more trips on the road than expected.... the natives are getting restless.
50 - 60 minutes down the highway.
Geelong has not had any Covid cases
What do you think of Geelong having a "home" game against Tigers, Bombers, Demons, Pies at the G? That is travel on the road?
Most teams have their 11 home games at home.
All besides the point now- fwiw, I think Bombers will be too quick and unpredictable for us, even at Geelong.

I think it's a little ridiculous that this match was not moved to the MCG. We have missed out on a home Dreamtime match, had a 25% capacity limit to another home game at the MCG, Hawthorne Essendon game moved from the MCG to Tasmania.

Victorian supporters have lost the opportunity to watch Essendon play in person a number of times this season already and playing this game at GMHBA again restricts nearly all Essendon supporters from attending again.
Sheff Utd aren’t one of the top drawing teams. Irrelevant anyway as for last 25 years it’s been at G like any other higher drawing teams. Denying tens of thousands chance to watch..and as someone else here posted, we’ve already had to travel interstate 7 times.
Why should the size of our supporter base or circumstances dictate what Geelong does with their home games?

Geelong should realistically be playing 11 home games at KP. They've already compromised by playing 2 of their 11 home games at the MCG. They shouldn't have to reduce their home games even further because of our situation. We're the last team to complain about playing in KP given we haven't gone there since 1993. That's 28 years of hosting us in Melbourne.

Why should the size of our supporter base or circumstances dictate what Geelong does with their home games?

Geelong should realistically be playing 11 home games at KP. They've already compromised by playing 2 of their 11 home games at the MCG. They shouldn't have to reduce their home games even further because of our situation. We're the last team to complain about playing in KP given we haven't gone there since 1993.
They do what they’ve done last 20 years, host less drawing teams. We also have to play a home game at G and we share Etihad with other co tenants. Do we get to play Blues or Pies at Etihad?

They do what they’ve done last 20 years, host less drawing teams. We also have to play a home game at G and we share Etihad with other co tenants. Do we get to play Blues or Pies at Etihad?
That's our choice. We made the choice of splitting home games between MCG (4) and Marvel (7).
We also make the choice to host Collingwood, Carlton and Richmond at the MCG in all games given that Marvel is too small to host those games.

Geelong play 9 KP games and 2 MCG games. Why do we have to be the MCG game when Richmond and Collingwood make more sense?

Win, lose or draw I want to see a brutal physical display from Draper. For too long Geelong have bullied us. I want for once in along time for a player to hurt someone playing for Geelong. Make them earn their win on their shit hole. And a shit hole is what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back