Preview Round 16: Essendon vs Geelong, Kardinia Park, Friday 02/07/2021 @ 7:50 PM

Winner?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Stewart will play on Cameron honestly. Anybody we put on Hawkins is going to get destroyed one-on-one either way, so just cut our losses and try to stop all the other moving parts

Training report on Blitz saying the boys spent a significant time during training working on their forward 50 entries.

At least they’re trying to address it.
Horse bolted!
Why not train that in the week before we play Melb?
I could have told you last week that May & Lever would be in the best half dozen blokes on the ground...

I think Stewart will play on Cameron honestly. Anybody we put on Hawkins is going to get destroyed one-on-one either way, so just cut our losses and try to stop all the other moving parts
Stewart was playing on Hawkins in the pre season game…did ok

Stewart was playing on Hawkins in the pre season game…did ok
Hawkins is always rusty in pre-season, I wouldn't put too much stock into that. IIRC he still kicked 2 or 3, right?

Will be interesting to see if we are competitive tomorrow night.

Was at the Melbourne game - felt we got bullied in the contested ball for a large part of the evening (except for the last quarter) & Melbourne missing a lot shots flattered the score line somewhat. Then again, the umpires gifted the Dees a few goals so maybe 2 goals was a fair margin at the end of the day.

Still think we will get dominated in the midfield against the Cats. The likes of Selwood, Dangerfield, Guthrie etc will be too big for our onballers, given Shiel, Caldwell and McGrath are unavailable. Kicking inside 50 is also an ongoing issue, as well as basic turnovers. Having said that, our dynamic and aggressive forward handball game and attacking, quick ball movement could cause them some issues.

As usual, if it's coming down to isolated one-on-one's we've already lost the game.

Defence relies on the pressure further up the field to force rushed kicks in to their forwards, allowing the intercept players to go to work. If any team gets time and space coming out of the middle, the forwards will win every time.

As usual, if it's coming down to isolated one-on-one's we've already lost the game.

Defence relies on the pressure further up the field to force rushed kicks in to their forwards, allowing the intercept players to go to work. If any team gets time and space coming out of the middle, the forwards will win every time.
I agree, but my whole thing is that I think if Stewart is on Hawk and Zerk/Ridley/Laverde is on Cameron is that the pair is more likely to kick 10 between them IMO, whereas if we flip it and put Zerk on Hawkins and Stewart on Cameron we're at least a semblance of a chance to stop one of them.

I agree, but my whole thing is that I think if Stewart is on Hawk and Zerk/Ridley/Laverde is on Cameron is that the pair is more likely to kick 10 between them IMO, whereas if we flip it and put Zerk on Hawkins and Stewart on Cameron we're at least a semblance of a chance to stop one of them.
Stop one and Hawkins kicks 7

Hawkins is always rusty in pre-season, I wouldn't put too much stock into that. IIRC he still kicked 2 or 3, right?
Think he kicked a couple after Stewart went off with ‘hamstring awareness’.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For everyone wanting to plan ahead for future games that may be hosted elsewhere, e.g. GMHBA, MARS, etc.

We have purchased an allocation of tickets for the game which will be available exclusively for members who hold reserved away seats as part of their membership package. Due to capacity restrictions, tickets in this allocation are strictly limited so we ask that you only redeem a ticket if you are planning to attend.

Tickets are available to be redeemed at no cost to you as an away reserved seat member and will be available on a first come basis through the redemption process below.

Probably going to have to get in quick going-forward.

Horse bolted!
Why not train that in the week before we play Melb?
I could have told you last week that May & Lever would be in the best half dozen blokes on the ground...

Especially as Collingwood looked to have the clear directive of hitting up Levers man at every opportunity.

Id send Stewart to Hawkins first up. His job is to take the gorillas. If he loses he loses but this season is about establishing a new defence and everyone growing into their roles together.

For everyone wanting to plan ahead for future games that may be hosted elsewhere, e.g. GMHBA, MARS, etc.

We have purchased an allocation of tickets for the game which will be available exclusively for members who hold reserved away seats as part of their membership package. Due to capacity restrictions, tickets in this allocation are strictly limited so we ask that you only redeem a ticket if you are planning to attend.

Tickets are available to be redeemed at no cost to you as an away reserved seat member and will be available on a first come basis through the redemption process below.

Probably going to have to get in quick going-forward.

Trust Sheedy :moustache: :moustache:

Mars.jpg

Nah I don't think Geelong will thrash us even in Geelong. Round 5 was a long time ago. We've been competitive in every game since. I can see maybe a 22 point loss or something like that.

Bulldogs is the 10 goal loss.
Bulldogs always our big loss. Even in 2000, when we only lost one game to...

Anyone manage to get two extra tickets they're happy to flog? Was looking forward to taking my Geelong-supporting daughter to this all year.

Does Ried come in to run with him?

he has the tank - but nowhere near the strength to go one on one in the air

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back