Autopsy Round 17, 2024 : Hawks fall in a hole in Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Meek. Nash. Frost. Jai. Chol. There’s five blokes who can smash in hard and assert physical dominance. The team as a whole didn’t want to do it - no idea why. Frustrates me.

A bye followed by a soft kill against West Coast.

Geelong were beaten up by Carlton then played another top 8 team in the wet 7 days prior to the game against us.

Never underestimate the significance of continuity when it comes to genuine, tough football.

One side fortuitously went in battle hardened for a contest, and it wasn't us.

A bye followed by a soft kill against West Coast.

Geelong were beaten up by Carlton then played another top 8 team in the wet 7 days prior to the game against us.

Never underestimate the significance of continuity when it comes to genuine, tough football.

One side fortuitously went in battle hardened for a contest, and it wasn't us.
Said this in the pre-game lead up, West Coast is atrocious preparation. We should have won that game by 100 if we kicked straight and those sort of drubbings are rarely backed up with your best work.

This is a bit pathetic imo. I still take issue with it. Sometimes bad match ups happen, especially when you're forced to make 3 key changes, and even more when you're a young team playing at arguably the most difficult home ground to play at.

Yes this was a bad outcome, no the quality of Geelong wasn't the sole reason. If we were benefited by easier games prior to this one I'm not sure how - St Kilda just beat Sydney, GWS beat Carlton. Two sides we beat prior. Brisbane are in great form too. Geelong have lost 2 games this year by 60+ points, one to Gold Coast who just lost to North.

With respect, if you're going to try to make a painfully simplistic claim about our form and then tag someone back in it when they disagreed with you weeks ago, it helps to not ignore every piece of information that disagrees with you.

It's one loss.
Feels like debating just for the sake of it.

Aren’t there more interesting questions than where do we rank, like:
  • Does the Geelong game help us get better?
  • Where do we need help?
  • Does our game plan stand up to pressure?
  • How do we beat these campaigners next time?
  • Fo we have the cattle to cover for Lewis, Sicily, Ginni outs, and who are they?

• Where do we need help?
  • Fo we have the cattle to cover for Lewis, Sicily, Ginni outs, and who are they?
I'm just responding to someone who tagged me in to the thread.

Call me optimistic but if we have a fit Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan and we are playing them anywhere other than the cat litter box, i am thinking we are.much much closer than people think.

Imagine us at full strength playing them without Stewart, Dempsey and miers. Thats the assignment we had this week after having had a settled but very young team performing well for weeks.

Call me optimistic but if we have a fit Sicily, Dear and Ginnivan and we are playing them anywhere other than the cat litter box, i am thinking we are.much much closer than people think.

Imagine us at full strength playing them without Stewart, Dempsey and miers. Thats the assignment we had this week after having had a settled but very young team performing well for weeks.
I agree, but we have to get a lot better, regardless of who is on the park or who is not. We have to be more seasoned. Our coaches need the experience to. The Club in total needs to be better, better prepared and ready for anything the campaigners throw at us.

• Where do we need help?

Every game we've won this season has been without Mitch Lewis.
I'd also like to see Jai Serong given the chance to replace Sicily. Doing it beautifully at VFL level. He played in Sicily-less victory against St.Kilda.
Ginni is the one who he dearly missed. I think a lot of us underestimated his impact on the side.

I'm not convinced he's ready, but does Wingard come in this week possibly?
Playing both he and Breust in the same side makes me nervous though.

What’s the gripe here, exactly? Public tickets were sold out. That means if members with reserved seats don’t show up it won’t be a capacity crowd.

Taxpayers money gets used on pretty much every major stadium in the country - there is local, state and federal funds going into Dingley which stands to predominantly only benefit our football club. Our major sponsor for over a decade has been a state government body. You really can’t get your knickers in a twist over public funds going to upgrading Kardinia.

The converse is shouldn’t we get the Easter Monday as a home game every year now?

BUT it is Geelong. They deserve it. They will bitch and moan over the slightest thing. Won’t you Chris Scott.

“I don’t like talking about things like umpires because they have a difficult job to do and we respect them but I will say this………

So Chris did you see the Danger incident “no I haven’t had time to look at the incident as yet, but what I will say is that Patrick is a fair courageous ball player, that is respected industry wide and we need to be very careful in how we treat these type of players in the media”.

“I don’t like talking about things like umpires because they have a difficult job to do and we respect them but I will say this………

So Chris did you see the Danger incident “no I haven’t had time to look at the incident as yet, but what I will say is that Patrick is a fair courageous ball player, that is respected industry wide and we need to be very careful in how we treat these type of players in the media”.
Suits his narrative and the media soak it up and love it. They call it “protecting their player”. Spare me. Whose intelligence is being robbed!

This is a bit pathetic imo. I still take issue with it. Sometimes bad match ups happen, especially when you're forced to make 3 key changes, and even more when you're a young team playing at arguably the most difficult home ground to play at.

Yes this was a bad outcome, no the quality of Geelong wasn't the sole reason. If we were benefited by easier games prior to this one I'm not sure how - St Kilda just beat Sydney, GWS beat Carlton. Two sides we beat prior. Brisbane are in great form too. Geelong have lost 2 games this year by 60+ points, one to Gold Coast who just lost to North.

With respect, if you're going to try to make a painfully simplistic claim about our form and then tag someone back in it when they disagreed with you weeks ago, it helps to not ignore every piece of information that disagrees with you.

It's one loss.
It wasn’t a “painfully simplistic claim” as you suggest, in addition to tagging it as pathetic - which doesn’t do you any favours.

I said the quality of sides we played when we went 6-1 (before West Coast) was a factor in our improvement. Not the sole reason. Why you choose to ignore that is a matter for you.

As it stands, we have 5 wins over the bottom 5. Zero wins agains the top 6 and a mixed bag of results against teams 7-12.

We had a tough draw early which meant we fell to 0-5 and people were claiming we were the worst Hawthorn side in 50 years.

Clearly we are better than that, but we are also well off the pace of the top 6.

We sit where we deserve to sit.

Anyhow - we play the team sitting 3rd this week and it’s a chance to take a scalp.

Last edited:
It wasn’t a “painfully simplistic claim” as you suggest, in addition to tagging it as pathetic - which doesn’t do you any favours.

I said the quality of sides we played when we went 6-1 (before West Coast) was a factor in our improvement. Not the sole reason. Why you choose to ignore that is a matter for you.

As it stands, we have 5 wins over the bottom 5. Zero wins agains the top 6 and a mixed bag of results against teams 7-12.

We had a tough draw early which meant we fell to 0-5 and people were claiming we were the worst Hawthorn side in 50 years.

Clearly we are better than that, but we are also well off the pace of the top 6.

We sit where we deserve to sit.

Anyhow - we play the team sitting 3rd this week and it’s a chance to take a scalp.
My issue that you quoted me back on was that you think absolute ladder position is an indicator of team quality, in complete ignorance of form. The irony of that is that the 3 of the teams you have highlighted as good lists that contributed to our 5 game losing streak are sitting 9th, 10th and 12th while 2 of the easy beat lists that allowed us to turn our form around are 7th and 8th. We also should have had another win over 6th place in that period. You consider that an argument won? OK.

Remembering that discussion, deciding to rehash it by tagging me a few weeks later after one loss is pathetic, yes. I stand by that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree, but we have to get a lot better, regardless of who is on the park or who is not. We have to be more seasoned. Our coaches need the experience to. The Club in total needs to be better, better prepared and ready for anything the campaigners throw at us.
^^^ 💯
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu the art of war

^^^ 💯
If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.
Sun Tzu the art of war
And if you flog a dead horse the sun won’t shine

Remove this Banner Ad

Back