Preview Round 17 - Brisbane Lions vs. Adelaide Crows

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal had a big impact with the number he did on Lever last week.

I'd be very surprised if it was him .

It can't be Wilmot or Ashcroft.

Which leaves you with Fletcher because it can't be Reville on form unless the thinking is he could do with a rest.

There's also Morris.
Morris is named in the 18 so he will be playing.
Unless we do a backflip?

In: Payne
Out: Joyce
SUB: Fletcher

Selecting Morris in the side makes sense. He’s been great this year, kicks goals but also great with goal assists. I also like the way he works up the ground and hits teammates with his inside 50’s.

Fletcher coming on as Sub to add some speed and movement like he did against Melbourne makes him a repeat and perfect candidate. His versatility gives us extra options. It is clear that Fagan has got the selection of a sub worked out. Not expecting Fort, Joyce or Tunstill to play.

Team looks very strong. I’d start with this.

FB: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: Zorko, Andrew’s, Wilmott
W: McCluggage, Ashcroft, Berry
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Bailey
FF: Lohmann, Daniher, Rayner
FOL: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

INT: Morris, Ah Chee, Reville, McKenna

In: Payne
Out: Joyce

Selecting Morris in the side makes sense. He’s been great this year, kicks goals but also great with goal assists. I also like the way he works up the ground and hits teammates with his inside 50’s.

Fletcher coming on as Sub to add some speed and movement like he did against Melbourne makes him a repeat and perfect candidate. His versatility gives us extra options. It is clear that Fagan has got the selection of a sub worked out. Not expecting Fort, Joyce or Tunstill to play.

Team looks very strong. I’d start with this.

FB: Starcevich, Payne, Lester
HB: Zorko, Andrew’s, Wilmott
W: McCluggage, Ashcroft, Berry
HF: Cameron, Hipwood, Bailey
FF: Lohmann, Daniher, Rayner
FOL: McInerney, Dunkley, Neale

INT: Morris, Ah Chee, Reville, McKenna

Yep, this is now our best 23 for the rest of the season, I can't see Answerth getting his way back into that side unless we all of a sudden go smaller and omit Morris.

Yep, this is now our best 23 for the rest of the season, I can't see Answerth getting his way back into that side unless we all of a sudden go smaller and omit Morris.
The only defender that looks vulnerable is McKenna at this stage. In 2025, with Coleman back, Zorko on the Half Back line and Wilmott and Reville in that rotation, we have plenty of rebound, run and transition capacity out of defence. Coleman adds intercept marking to the mix too. McKenna really only runs one way and his lack of defensive ability / willingness, especially in terms of tackling and playing his opponent close, will cost him his spot. Lester, Starcevich, Andrews and Payne are a super tight defensive unit and individually, all are in front of McKenna. Gardiner is even further back and Doedee, who is still an unknown quantity in our team, only comes in if someone is injured. Answerth is going to have to reinvent himself somewhere else perhaps, because Reville has rocketed past him.

Last edited:
Good question. He could certainly be useful as a back up tall. I am worried about Tex, Fogarty and Himmelberg down there this week. Hopefully Jack is up to it as Darragh Joyce was thrashed by Van Rooyen in the aerial contests last week.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I'm concerned about Lester picking up Fogarty again. Fogarty turned that last game in the 4th quarter. Lester couldn't keep up with him. He took some easy marks. He seems to be too strong for Lester. Hopefully Lester will have learnt from the last outing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Pretty much confirms Payne in for Joyce will be the only change when the final team releases tomorrow night, barring any late injuries.
most likely, but i notice Joyce is named on the extended bench, so still might be some concern. I believe the squad is trimmed later today (Friday). FWIW, I agree with one or two other posters, if any doubt would not play Payne this week or probably next week in Perth, he seems to have had a history of leg/foot/ankle issues. With or without Payne, we should beat crows at the GABBA and WC were dreadful last week, so should have them covered.

Feels like this could, and possibly should, be Lester's last season unfortunately. Still playing some great footy but getting beaten a bit more often than previous seasons.
Lester will get at least another year to cover for the players coming back from ACL's.

Feels like this could, and possibly should, be Lester's last season unfortunately. Still playing some great footy but getting beaten a bit more often than previous seasons.
I think Lester will get another one year contract with doubts when Gardiner and Doedee would be fully fit. In the past, I have been a little critical of Lester as he frequently gets the 4th or 5th best forward. Starc frequently takes the dangerous mid to small forward, and Payne takes the KPF with Harris taking the second KPF.

Lester has been performing a role this year, and as long as he is matched up to a suitable opponent I think he is reliable, and deserves to go around in 2025.

No Thilthorpe, helps us a lot i think, maybe Payne if he plays to Fogarty? Himmelberg isn't really a threat so Lester could play off him a bit, Payne can nullify Fogarty, Andrews on Walker.

Still wary given they had a good win and can play with a nothing to lose mentality. We need to give them a nothing to win mentality by getting an early lead.

Morris should start - he was only on the ground when we were getting thumped last week, and came up against a very good team defence. He has given us a point of difference and deserves another shot. Also had a 9 day break and only half a game so it's a great freshen up without having to officially manage him.

Not sure on sub. Fletcher should start. i like the idea of rotating it so one player doesn't lose touch. Only options named on the bench at the moment are Ah Chee and Reville, i'd probably go Ah Chee but i barely remember the last part of last week's game because of the pure stress haha.

Up until the Port game i was firmly of the view we were done in 2024. I am still pessimistic given how inconsistent we are - 2 of our last 3 games have been pretty poor and we have played genuinely well at the gabba twice this year out of 7 games (suns and tigers).

BUT. i am hoping a switch has been flicked, or we are slowly starting to believe again. Because realistically we don't get much back next year from here in terms of players. Coleman an obvious in, McCartthy a probably, Doedee who knows. All 3 off knee injuries obviously.

Even kiddy has been replaced really well by Zorko who could be having his last gun year given he is 35yo.

The evenness of this year has presented us with a massive opportunity after our terrible start. We have 6.5 losses already. I think there is every chance if we win 6/8 from here we could end up top 4. The dees had 7 losses last year and got top 4. So that golden top 4 is in reach this year but only because the bar is lower.

I would love just a solid non-nervy win! i feel like the players need it for confidence.

I must be glass half full because this game still worries me, as does WCE next week. They have been poor lately but getting back to full strength and Oscar Allen could hit form. They had a bit of a hot patch early in the year.

Good question. He could certainly be useful as a back up tall. I am worried about Tex, Fogarty and Himmelberg down there this week. Hopefully Jack is up to it as Darragh Joyce was thrashed by Van Rooyen in the aerial contests last week.

On SM-A525F using BigFooty.com mobile app
I joined the Morris bandwagon pretty early on (after a couple AFL games), just has good forward craft, but at this stage of his career, we would be pretty desperate to play him down back on Tex, Fog or Himmelberg.

Darragh was a bit disappointing last week, but first AFL game for over a year, I think he would be better this week, if Payne not right.

Always struggles when has to play on the bigger guys as he isnt that big himself. Just is such a smart player that he usually is able to react a little quicker more often. Perfect as a third tall but not great if we need him to step into the second or first role

Eeeekkkkkk! There's no way Starcevich can play on Rankine. Rankine is way too smart.

Starcevich completely owned Rankine when the latter was with GC.

Unfortunately, Starcevich has tailed off a little over the past couple of years, coinciding with Rankine playing better football.

Hopefully Starcevich can continue to get back to his absolute best form, and take care of Rankine when he goes forward.

Berry every chance to get Rankine through the middle, with Dunkley going to Dawson (who always seems to have an influence against us).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back