Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot of talk about the effect of Franklin missing this game, so I decided to have a look at the change of players for both teams between round 1 and last round:

Hawthorn
In: Roughead, Shiels, Puopolo, Gilham, Young, Cheney, Murphy
Out: Franklin, Guerra, Osborne, Savage, Bateman, McCauley, Boumann
Franklin is a big loss, but Roughead is a big gain. Not quite an even swap but not the massive loss that it seems. Shiels, Puopolo and Gilham are nice ins, and probably only Guerra would be an automatic first 22 selection from the outs.

Collingwood
In: Beams, Brown, Tarrant, Maxwell, Elliott, Buckley
Out: Ball, Keefe, Paine, Seedsman, Rounds, Yagmoor
Beams has brilliant this year, Brown and Maxwell bolster their defence, and they now have the luxury of throwing Tarrant forward. Ball the only real loss, but Beams has more than made up for his injury.

In summary, our team is probably slightly weaker, theirs a fair bit stronger. This is going to be close!

And that's fine if the form of individual players remains constant over the journey. I would argue several of our players are playing better now than round 1. This must be taken into account.

We can not allow Collingwood to get off to a good start. If we are leading at quarter time then that will give our team confidence for the rest of the game. If we are playing catch up footy we will be taught a lesson! So basically match them early and we are in with a good chance of winning! :thumbsu: As for the team selection goes Savage is a must for this game. His run and pace and his kicking will be vital for some outside run along with Smith and Young.

Regardless of the stats, not to mention the opposition it was against, the conclusion is rather funny. It gave me a chuckle. Only joking though mate. I'll leave now.

One of those "opposition" you talk about defeated your mob the week after we smashed them!

And I did mention the word IF in my original post. Highly unlikely that we will restrict you to 2 scoring shots in the 3rd on the weekend but I can hope!

Wow apparently the whole lying about injuries thing has gotten so bad that we have Buckley involved now talking up the prospects of Buddy playing :eek:

Injury report still lists him as 2 weeks away anyone know if there would be any sort of fine if the Hawks actually played someone listed as injured?

Hodge listed as test to me is a big tease though I would love to see him come back and play

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow apparently the whole lying about injuries thing has gotten so bad that we have Buckley involved now talking up the prospects of Buddy playing :eek:

Injury report still lists him as 2 weeks away anyone know if there would be any sort of fine if the Hawks actually played someone listed as injured?

Hodge listed as test to me is a big tease though I would love to see him come back and play

Don't see how you could possibly fine any club for it. A player responded better to treatment and trained earlier than expected.

How are you supposed to stop that? More importantly why would you want to?

If they start fining club officials for putting out false information about injuries they will have to jail Neil Balme.

I agree with Buddylebo...........The game will probably be won in the first quarter......they'll come out strong....we have to repel & get on top from the start....is this the 'bleedin' obvious? GO HAWKS

Savage kicked 2 great goals against Pies in round 1, including the one in the last quarter that got us back in front. He is miles ahead of Murphy, Cheney and MUST PLAY!

A lot of talk about the effect of Franklin missing this game, so I decided to have a look at the change of players for both teams between round 1 and last round:

Hawthorn
In: Roughead, Shiels, Puopolo, Gilham, Young, Cheney, Murphy
Out: Franklin, Guerra, Osborne, Savage, Bateman, McCauley, Boumann
Franklin is a big loss, but Roughead is a big gain. Not quite an even swap but not the massive loss that it seems. Shiels, Puopolo and Gilham are nice ins, and probably only Guerra would be an automatic first 22 selection from the outs.

Regardless of personnel, we are playing considerably better now than we were early in the season.

Even on the personnel, we are probably in better shape. Rough and Bud is about a draw, Gilly for JBo, Puopolo for Oz, Youngy for Chang are all clear upgrades.

I agree that Round 1 does not count. First game is always a raffle. This week is fair dinkum.

That would be ideal. Gunston is only a developing player but from what I can tell he is a bloody smart one

Lol, always funny when footballers are called smart, it's like saying a shark is smart due to being fine tuned for hunting.

Savage kicked 2 great goals against Pies in round 1, including the one in the last quarter that got us back in front. He is miles ahead of Murphy, Cheney and MUST PLAY!

Your argument is a midfielder kicked 2 goals back in round 1 so should replace a defender.

Don't get me wrong I'm very pro Savage's return but that's a terrible argument.

Lol, always funny when footballers are called smart, it's like saying a shark is smart due to being fine tuned for hunting.

Are you saying all footballers have equal footy smarts? I could name plenty that would not last long as sharks.

There is no doubt that if Maxwell goes to Gunston he will give him little respect and will try to zone off him. Gunston has shown that he can find space and make himself dangerous. I think that the pies will need to give Gunston a little more respect than their supporters think.

Are you saying all footballers have equal footy smarts? I could name plenty that would not last long as sharks.

There is no doubt that if Maxwell goes to Gunston he will give him little respect and will try to zone off him. Gunston has shown that he can find space and make himself dangerous. I think that the pies will need to give Gunston a little more respect than their supporters think.

Conversely I imagine the Pies supporters think we need to give Dawes a little more respect

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back