Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reckon we are due for a loss this week. We have not been seriously challenged over the past month or so and the Pies are flag faves in my book. They had their 'off' games against Carlton and are unilkely to be flat again. We will miss the Budster a lot more than last week....Hopefully we can put up a solid fight at least and then bounce back hard over the next two rounds and smash the Cats and Bombers.

I reckon we are due for a loss this week. We have not been seriously challenged over the past month or so and the Pies are flag faves in my book. They had their 'off' games against Carlton and are unilkely to be flat again. We will miss the Budster a lot more than last week....Hopefully we can put up a solid fight at least and then bounce back hard over the next two rounds and smash the Cats and Bombers.

I was thinking the same...I don't think we'll beat the Cats regardless of Saturdays result. We'll either be spent after beating the Pies or down after losing...hope I'm wrong of course

Probably the weakest part of Collingwoods game, if it is a weakness, is they dont have a huge amount of pace. Swan, obviously an exception to this so why dont we load up with Savage in for Cheney. Use him as the sub and inject pace midway through the 3rd quarter.

FB: Stratton Gilham Suckling
HB: Burgoyne Gibson Birchall
Ce: Smith Mitchell Whitecross
R : Hale Sewell Shiels
HF: Rioli Schoenmakers. Lewis
FF: Gunstan Roughead Puopolo
IC: Young Breust Murphy
SUB: Savage

I would start Cyril in the middle and try and give him as much time through there as possible, Harry O'Brien normally plays pretty well on him so we need to mix up their plan a bit, maybe use him through the centre and running forward instead. Burgoyne, as well could be a high impact player through the middle at times with his ability to find space and time (bit like Pendlebury) being key. We know he can still rotate through there, we saw it only a few weeks ago when he was close to best on ground.

Obviously that means Rioli, Smith, Young, Burgoyne and Savage are important with their pace and carry to make the magpies run the other way too.

Starting centre square:
Hale
Rioli
Mitchell
Burgoyne

and then have Sewell, Shiels, Lewis, Whitecross etc move through there. Wouldnt mind seeing Burgoyne run with a Collingwood jet like Thomas or someone

We may lose this week but with franklin, hodge and guerra back we will beat them come september, its all about personel, take swan, cloke and shaw out of their team and put our 3 back in and its a different ball game, a loss now will fire us up more for the finals, if the pies cant win this week they wont beat us again this year.

We may lose this week but with franklin, hodge and guerra back we will beat them come september, its all about personel, take swan, cloke and shaw out of their team and put our 3 back in and its a different ball game, a loss now will fire us up more for the finals, if the pies cant win this week they wont beat us again this year.
Yep, and will also make them more arrogant and over confident that they can beat us, which will be their undoingin Septmeber;)

Looking at the teams on paper and while both forward lines could in theory get on top of the respective backlines it's this that is crucial.

Swan, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams & Thomas

Now that's 5 players, 4 of which have a genuine claim for All-Australian this year and the other was All Australian last year. That is a serious unit.

Compare that to...

Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Shiels & Young

...and we're at a serious disadvantage on paper.

Spot on Cynic.

This is where the game will be won. They bat very deep through the middle of the ground, not just blokes able to play on ball but genuine stars, all of the Collingwood players you mention above are A graders.

Whilst Mitchell, Lewis and Sewell are very good players (Mitchell especially, Sewell having a great patch and Lewis I really rate), all 3 will need to be at their best this Saturday for us to just break even in this department. It's our second stringers that will need to step up or we risk being smacked in this area like we were in the Richmond game. Young/Smith/Savage. Shiels must negate one of their mids.

As much as everyone gives it to us about our defence, I don't think it's as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Obviously we do not have the best match up for Cloke, but he is out of form and if we can deny supply we should be able to hold him. If he gets enough ball in to him and especially in one on one situations, then we are in trouble as he is too good for any of our back 6 one on one by some margin. Gibson 3rd man is the key here. We still need to make sure we clamp down on their other forwards. Blair is a good goal sneak, Fasolo great ovehead, Goldsack a smart operator. Dawes a spud, Gibson to play on him and help out every other bloke. Another tall will need to take Tarrant (Gilham). Schoe will get Cloke.

Their defence is their weakness. I pray daily that Harry O gets Cyril. I can't stand Harry O, would love to see Cyril make a mockery of him again. We will be at our best with the ball on the ground, Cyril, Bruest, Poppy, Whitecross are all very important here, the problem is all of these guys save for Bruest are sometimes wasteful in front of goal, we will not have the luxury of being able to be wasteful this weekend. Also, someone must negate Heath Shaw, a great running defender who is pivotal to their game.

If we win the midifled battle, more importantly have more entires, we will win. If not, we wont. If Pendlebury, Swan, Beams, Thomas and Sidebottom have good games and their midfield does us, we will be in trouble, as these players are way too classy for us to get away with it.

Would love for us to have a fit Buddy, Hodge and Bailey and Guerra available but not to be.

Unfortunately wont be able to watch as I'll be playing, but really looking forward to seeing where we are at against the best side in it, as that's what they are at the moment IMO. As much as I hate Collingwood, and I really do, they are a very good side.

This is the same Max Bailey that has played one game of footy (for BH) in the past 3 months right?
Yes I can confirm that is the same Max Bailey. I think Lowden will not get a shot this year with Max back and will wait his turn to next year. Test Hale out against the big teams in the next few weeks (where he has struggled) and if he does not perform, Bailey comes in.

Its great that Max was plunking marks for BHH but will need a couple of games to build fitness and consistent performance, and put real pressure on Hale which is not a bad thing at all

I'm reading too much "if we lose, we'll beat them in the finals" talk. We can't afford to drop games at this stage of the season with the top of the ladder being so tight. Every opportunity needs to be taken to avoid playing Sydney, WCE or even Adelaide interstate, we need to have a home final if were going to make the GF.

This round presents another goldern opportunity to cement a top 4 spot ahead of the others by knocking off Collingwood (putting us ahead of them on percentage) and one of either Adelaide or WCE losing when they play off in Adelaide.

This game is a must win IMO.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Probably the weakest part of Collingwoods game, if it is a weakness, is they dont have a huge amount of pace. Swan, obviously an exception to this so why dont we load up with Savage in for Cheney. Use him as the sub and inject pace midway through the 3rd quarter.

FB: Stratton Gilham Suckling
HB: Burgoyne Gibson Birchall
Ce: Smith Mitchell Whitecross
R : Hale Sewell Shiels
HF: Rioli Schoenmakers. Lewis
FF: Gunstan Roughead Puopolo
IC: Young Breust Murphy
SUB: Savage

I would start Cyril in the middle and try and give him as much time through there as possible, Harry O'Brien normally plays pretty well on him so we need to mix up their plan a bit, maybe use him through the centre and running forward instead. Burgoyne, as well could be a high impact player through the middle at times with his ability to find space and time (bit like Pendlebury) being key. We know he can still rotate through there, we saw it only a few weeks ago when he was close to best on ground.

Obviously that means Rioli, Smith, Young, Burgoyne and Savage are important with their pace and carry to make the magpies run the other way too.

Starting centre square:
Hale
Rioli
Mitchell
Burgoyne

and then have Sewell, Shiels, Lewis, Whitecross etc move through there. Wouldnt mind seeing Burgoyne run with a Collingwood jet like Thomas or someone

Lolwut? Don't think Harry has ever beaten Rioli.

says who?

Well it depends on what you believe, really. I mean, it's not as if the HFC are often truthful when it comes to injuries. Then you look at the actual injury. A corky which resulted in them finding a slight hamstring tear.

A full blown hamstring is often a four-weeker, so for them to say a slight tear will see him miss close the same time frame (will be 25 days between GWS game and Geelong game) I just find un-realistic.

What I believe (and I don't expect others to, but I have since being in the crowd at the GWS game) is that it was just a corky, and he had the week off to get that right and the very minor hamstring tweak, he will train this week and pull on the boots Saturday.

Ok footy clubs might not often be totally open with the extent of injuries and what-not (with a lot of that to do with them not knowing themselves, healing isn't always a set thing) but I can't remember the last time a player came back significantly earlier than they were originally reported to be out for.

Well it depends on what you believe, really. I mean, it's not as if the HFC are often truthful when it comes to injuries. Then you look at the actual injury. A corky which resulted in them finding a slight hamstring tear.

A full blown hamstring is often a four-weeker, so for them to say a slight tear will see him miss close the same time frame (will be 25 days between GWS game and Geelong game) I just find un-realistic.

What I believe (and I don't expect others to, but I have since being in the crowd at the GWS game) is that it was just a corky, and he had the week off to get that right and the very minor hamstring tweak, he will train this week and pull on the boots Saturday.

Agree with this. So unusual of the club to say that a player is out for 3 weeks. Usually they downplay it, say it'll be 1-2 weeks and then test the player and stretch it out to 3, 4 or 5 matches if there's any doubt. All of a sudden Buddy does a slight tear and they declare 3 weeks? For a hammy tear they didn't even ice up on match day?

Very very strange - as we've come to expect from the club. (I don't get angry about it, I just find it all puzzling).

Would love to see him named tomorrow night.

Ok footy clubs might not often be totally open with the extent of injuries and what-not (with a lot of that to do with them not knowing themselves, healing isn't always a set thing) but I can't remember the last time a player came back significantly earlier than they were originally reported to be out for.

Not sure of the Clubs report but Franklin was set to miss the final last year against Sydney after looking to badly damage his knee.

Agree with this. So unusual of the club to say that a player is out for 3 weeks. Usually they downplay it, say it'll be 1-2 weeks and then test the player and stretch it out to 3, 4 or 5 matches if there's any doubt. All of a sudden Buddy does a slight tear and they declare 3 weeks? For a hammy tear they didn't even ice up on match day?

Very very strange - as we've come to expect from the club. (I don't get angry about it, I just find it all puzzling).

Would love to see him named tomorrow night.

Bang on mate, I too noticed they didn't ice anything on the day. Very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back