Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't seen one Collingeood supporter who thinks they'll win by less than 10 goals. Also apparently that Irish rookie is going to come in and clean up Rioli. Not convinced we will win but their over confidence is disgusting
Thats cos franklin is out we are a one man team...

I find it weird that pretty much every game the pies will have Pendles with 30+, Swan with ~40 and Tomas, Beams and Sidey with 25-30 but still not dominate through the middle
Having watched a fair bit of collingwood this year, the reason for that is that they have a lot of ring a rosie around a pack. Swan collected 6 disposals in about 15 seconds last night and it had no impact on the play as they were going backwards the whole time. If we can apply pressure on these disposals I'd say we could create turnovers.

Not sure what we will do against the Pies, Schoenmakers is a really good option up forward but I think he will play in defense. I suspect Clarko told him that today he should play as a forward and also try and take something out of the game in how to attack the ball.

For me, I suspect we will drop Cheney, substitution rule is often our way of saying you'll be dropped it seems,. Gilham will go out also as whilst I was happy with his game today, we are one defender to many if Schoe plays back.
In comes Savage if fit and potentially Bailey if the club feels he is good to go. Still a long time before selection though so not really thinking to hard about it just yet.

Haven't seen one Collingeood supporter who thinks they'll win by less than 10 goals. Also apparently that Irish rookie is going to come in and clean up Rioli. Not convinced we will win but their over confidence is disgusting

I got a text from a Collingwood supporting mate straight after their win against the Cats last night, "Hawthorn you're next!". I was going to remind him of what happened to the Pies last weekend against Carlton, but thought nah why bother.

Some really intelligent in depth analysis of this game on their board..."they lost to Tiges by 60, we beat them by 20 so therefore we will win by 80", and some Irish numpty who has played one game will be a good match up for Cyril, had to get out of there and take a shower.

sorry to butt in guys but i hope buddy plays.I'd rather beat you with him and hodge in than out. Anyway its a game im looking forward to,big test for us.ALL the best.Well not ALL the best but yeah,you know what i mean:)

Hawthorn's ability to win tight contests has not been great since our 2007 Elimination Final triumph over Adelaide and in particular since season 2010 onwards. Collingwood has definitely played in many more tighter contests against better opposition in 2012 and had more match conditioning against teams in good form. They have answered most of their doubters to date, whereas we really haven't beaten anyone since round 3 v Adelaide. Was the Carlton win that fantastic just because they beat Collingwood. A 53 point loss to North speaks volumes no matter what the circumstances.

I am fearful that we have not had a tight victory against solid opposition in some time, and an ability to win the tight ones can be just as important as the games where we build percentage. Collingwood have had more experience when the going gets tough this year. We really need to be on our game. The trend below does not read overly well.

8 points or less

Beat Adelaide by 4 points

Lost to Geelong by 8 points
Beat Carlton by 4 points
Lost to Geelong by 1 point

Lost to Geelong by 8 points
Lost to West Coast by 8 points
Beat Richmond by 3 points
Beat Sydney by 2 points
Beat Bulldogs by 3 points
Lost to Geelong by 2 points
Drew to St Kilda (should have won)
Lost to Port Adelaide by 8 points
Beat Collingwood by 3 points

Beat West Coats by 7 points (had a significant lead, game was not really tight in final term)
Lost to Geelong by 5 points
Lost to Collingwood by 3 points

Lost to Geelong by 2 points
Lost to West Coast by 5 points

KOLOKOTRONIS

They were confident vs the blues as well. Let them be, what opposition supporters say means very little. Just makes the win that much more sweeter.

6/10 losses to the Cats.
7wins/18 games is not good.
Given how dominant the Cats have been over every other team in the comp, we have competed better than most.

I would like to see us run over the top of a side that was playing well, oh wait we did that to the Pies and the Crows early.

Pies have struggled to beat many teams this year and are getting the points when playing, possibly not their best line-up.
We have belted teams that have troubled other top teams, Sts, Brissy, North and we have also not had our best line-up.

Try and keep the glass half full Colonotronis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This won't be close, a lot of people will be surprised how easily we account for the Pies.

I'd certainly be surprised if we accounted for them by 5+ goals.

It's been far too long since either side has had to deal with a quality, in form opponent.

I think they've got holes in their side - their forward line is playing really poorly and their backline breaks down when made accountable. Their midifeld runs deep and this must be why they're winning their games. (admittedly haven't watch all that much of the pies this year).

You can compare our performances to Collingwood's and we've done pretty well. The difference is that they've accounted for three teams that we lost to (Richmond, Geelong and WCE). That difference is cause for concern in my view.

Meanwhile, we're scrunching up the poor teams and throwing them in the bin - it's been fun, but it's time to get real and put it on the scoreboard when it matters.

I'm nervous about this one. First tough game for ages. I'll be there, on the edge of my seat, freaking out from first siren to last. A win this week would be brilliant.

What makes you say that?

I just think the Pies form isnt that great at all when you really look at it.

Last 4 games 3-1 beating 2 top 8 sides right ?but let's take a closer look.

Beat WC by just 3 in Melb. WC previous away game was a loss to Bris and following away game was a 2 point win over North and they were smashed by Sydney. A good side would have won by 30+

Beat Freo in Melb missing half their best dozen by 29. With the outs Freo had and in Melb they should have win by 60+

Lost to injury riddled Carlton who lost 3 straight going and where easily beaten by North this week. A good side would win by 50.

Beat Geelong by 31. Good win but Geelong barely beat GC the week before and where missing their best player and leading goalkicker and still had more possessions, more inside50s and more shots.

Teams have controlled large parts of the game against the Pies but haven't been good enough to take advantage of it. As long as we kick reasonably straight I dont see them matching us.

I just think the Pies form isnt that great at all when you really look at it.

Last 4 games 3-1 beating 2 top 8 sides right ?but let's take a closer look.

Beat WC by just 3 in Melb. WC previous away game was a loss to Bris and following away game was a 2 point win over North and they were smashed by Sydney. A good side would have won by 30+

Beat Freo in Melb missing half their best dozen by 29. With the outs Freo had and in Melb they should have win by 60+

Lost to injury riddled Carlton who lost 3 straight going and where easily beaten by North this week. A good side would win by 50.

Beat Geelong by 31. Good win but Geelong barely beat GC the week before and where missing their best player and leading goalkicker and still had more possessions, more inside50s and more shots.

Teams have controlled large parts of the game against the Pies but haven't been good enough to take advantage of it. As long as we kick reasonably straight I dont see them matching us.
You make a great case there.

Early in the year we had a lot of players out of form. Mitch and Sewell were down as was Stratton and Gibbo. Bruest was not going as well and Sheils and Young were not playing.

What strikes me as so encouraging about our team atm is we have a list of in form players. Apart from Smith, The rest of the squad is in form and confident. We have widened our rotations through the middle and are seeing the results in stronger performances across 4 quarters.

We are winning by huge margins on a regular basis, not because we are having 'days out' but because we are just so dam good. In the third quarter against GWS we kicked 9 goals 9. 18 scoring shots with a few other chances spoiled by an error here or there. IT was one of the most dominant quarters I have ever seen and I thought we largely played within ourselves. We weren't cheating by running madly ahead of the play, we stuck to the plan and buried the opposition. Sure the opposition was poor but we were magnificent. Any team can go out and put on a score if everything goes well but we can put on a score by simply having a normal day.

We are in a position to test ourselves this week against the pies. We break even in the middle and we win the game.

Furn, you made a better case than I was expecting after reading the initial comment that's we'd win easily. Hope you're spot on!

They were confident vs the blues as well. Let them be, what opposition supporters say means very little. Just makes the win that much more sweeter.

But that's just it.

We lose to Richmond and we have the decency to be cautiously optimistic.

They lose to us & Carlton and it's still a foregone conclusion they'll annihilate us to such a degree that we'll immediately fold and become a team of monks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back