Round 17 - Hawks v Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh but come to the Hawthorn Board and its a diplomatic un biased discussion on the game?..... Pleaseeeee

This board is just full of Moos telling each other how good the side is. Fact is your not that crash hot.

its been a long time coming since you played a side in the 8, very soft draw.

You all seem very conifdent, good luckkkkkk flogs

Every Hawthorn post I've read in your pre-match thread has been pretty good I thought. Then I come back here and read this...

Oh but come to the Hawthorn Board and its a diplomatic un biased discussion on the game?..... Pleaseeeee

This board is just full of Moos telling each other how good the side is. Fact is your not that crash hot.

its been a long time coming since you played a side in the 8, very soft draw.

You all seem very conifdent, good luckkkkkk flogs

Did you really just post that?

Looking at the teams on paper and while both forward lines could in theory get on top of the respective backlines it's this that is crucial.

Swan, Pendlebury, Sidebottom, Beams & Thomas

Now that's 5 players, 4 of which have a genuine claim for All-Australian this year and the other was All Australian last year. That is a serious unit.

Compare that to...

Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Shiels & Young

...and we're at a serious disadvantage on paper.

Looking at the teams on paper and while both forward lines could in theory get on top of the respective backlines it's this that is crucial.

Now that's 5 players, 4 of which have a genuine claim for All-Australian this year and the other was All Australian last year. That is a serious unit.

Compare that to...

Swap Young for Whitecross, but agree we arent as good on paper as that unit.

I am interested to see who Shiels tags this week, Thomas??
He really shut down Griffen in the second term in particular after he got a lot of the footy in the first

Swap Young for Whitecross, but agree we arent as good on paper as that unit.

I am interested to see who Shiels tags this week, Thomas??
He really shut down Griffen in the second term in particular after he got a lot of the footy in the first

Yeah fair call re: Whitecross.

That's the big thing with our midfield unit though, all of Shiels, Lewis & Sewell have been beating their opponent and being offensive on the counter attack...if it doesn't work out this way this week I think it could be difficult for us.

On another topic I can't believe we're favourites :eek:

Yeah fair call re: Whitecross.

That's the big thing with our midfield unit though, all of Shiels, Lewis & Sewell have been beating their opponent and being offensive on the counter attack...if it doesn't work out this way this week I think it could be difficult for us.

On another topic I can't believe we're favourites :eek:
Yep agree

No idea how we are favourites

I am happy to drop Gilham and go into this match with a shorter forward line. Play Rioli at FF and try to isolate him against O'Brien. It was obvious in the last match Rioli has his measure, just wasn't used enough. Also try to spot up Bruest and poppy. Gunston to play high up the field pushing back, Hale/Roughy to play true CHF and one of the smalls our deepest target. That frees our best Shoey to take Cloke, Gibbo to Tarrant and Stratton to Dawes. I'd have poppy tagging Shaw. If they try to play Shaw on Rioli then I'd keep Poppy on Shaw and drag poppy's opponent deep alongside Rioli and Shaw. If suckling and Birchall deliver enough footy inside 50 and are able to hit up our smaller forwards I think we can break down their defensive structures.

Compare that to...

We also run Burger, Bruest, Rioli, Smith, and Whitecross through the middle. And if you consider that HBF become part of the midfield in attack then we have Birchall and Suckling who are two of the best users of the footy in the comp.

Compare that to Fasolo, Blair, Sinclair and Elliot (all played last match but I'd say only 1 of which would make our team . . . maybe) with Shaw and Buckley coming off half back. It is the depth of our 22 that holds the advantage . . . along with the fact our forwards and defenders are all in form (as opposed to Cloke, Dawes, Reid and O'Brien).

Also Hale/Roughead is at worst equal to Jolly/Dawes which in past years was a weakness for us. I think you are focusing on their strengths without focusing on our own.

Team Changes

IN: Savage
OUT: Cheney (omitted)

B: Stratton Gibson Gilham
HB: Birchall Schoenmakers Burgoyne
C: Shiels Mitchell Smith
HF: Whitecross Gunston Rioli
F: Puopolo Roughead Breust
R: Hale Lewis Sewell

INT: Suckling Young Murphy Savage (Sub)

EMG: Cheney Hill McCauley

Savage has to play in this game he is a must! We need his outside pace and on the MCG ground he will give us plenty of run from the wing along with Smith and Young. Cheney can not play this week, we all ready have Gilham and Murphy, we don't need another defender. Then there is Gilham who will probably keep his spot given Collingwood 3 talls plus the resting Jolly, so he will stay in the team this week IMO. Also the week off would have been good for Savage now he can come back fresh and attack the rest of the season. :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Team Changes

IN: Savage
OUT: Cheney (omitted)

B: Stratton Gibson Gilham
HB: Birchall Schoenmakers Burgoyne
C: Shiels Mitchell Smith
HF: Whitecross Gunston Rioli
F: Puopolo Roughead Breust
R: Hale Lewis Sewell

INT: Suckling Young Murphy Savage (Sub)

EMG: Cheney Hill McCauley

Savage has to play in this game he is a must! We need his outside pace and on the MCG ground he will give us plenty of run from the wing along with Smith and Young. Cheney can not play this week, we all ready have Gilham and Murphy, we don't need another defender. Then there is Gilham who will probably keep his spot given Collingwood 3 talls plus the resting Jolly, so he will stay in the team this week IMO. Also the week off would have been good for Savage now he can come back fresh and attack the rest of the season. :thumbsu:

please...as much as people like to think otherwise, not much has changed with murphy. He was terrible on sunday and against a poor team in a 70 point win too.

In all honesty, I can't see how anyone could say that. The big difference between the changes is that Collingwood have brought in seasoned guys who have played a lot of footy. Hawthorn have brought in some seasoned guys with a lot of footy, but they replace seasoned guys who have played a lot of footy. Our guys have replaced Seedsman, Yagmoor, Paine and Rounds who had played less than a handful of games between them going into that game. We tired because these kids couldn't keep with more seasoned opponents.

The kids aren't out on their legs in Round 1 mate, they are either not up to it yet or their is something wrong with your fitness regime - but most blokes, despite training age, are equally jumping out of their skins in R1.

Go and find another straw.

They have some genuine clowns in that team which can be exposed. Harry O is funny to watch....and as long as you man up on Maxwell he becomes more useless than a Kardashian at the G20 Summit.

If Shoey goes back then Gilham goes out. Having Shoey, Gibbo, Strats, Murph and Shoey all in the backline is going too tall.

Is Chinese Jordan Lewis, Jordan Lewis? If yes, why is he Chinese Jordan Lewis and not just an Asian looking non-Asian? Wouldn't there need to be an Aussie/Euro/Anglo Jordan Lewis for there to be a Chinese Jordan Lewis?
I don't buy into politically correct cr@p

From the AFL website preview of the game:

Hawthorn's six-game winning streak has been built around an extraordinary dominance after half-time. In the six games since their round nine loss to Richmond, Alastair Clarkson's men have conceded a total of just 11 scoring shots in third quarters. Compare Hawthorn's total 'premiership quarter' scores from rounds 10-16 with its opposition's, and you've got a scoreboard reading 34.31 (235) to 5.6 (36).

That is just huge. :thumbsu:

Compare that to...

As others have said swap Young for Whitecross or even Cyril. They might have the class and media plaudits but I would back our boys in a dark alley :thumbsu:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back