Prediction Round 18, 2024: Changes vs Brisbane

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yeah I reckon if we don’t get noticeably younger at selection I’m not going to go. We’re going to get our arses kicked. At least give me some new blood to try to get excited about. Otherwise, why should I bother going to watch the same ageing half-interested players get their arses kicked?

It’d be the first home game (other than Covid lockouts) I’d miss since Optus opened. But I’m close to the end of my rope with this club at the moment.
It's just going to be a training run for Brisbane .....just have the weekend off do something with the family no point wasting your time on this mob

Out: Darling, Jones, Rotham, Witherden
In: Culley, Burgiel, Maric, Hall/Trew

If Gov is out injured then Harry Edwards can replace him

Ginbey and Burgiel can both an start in the backline
Culley in the forward line
Maric on the wing
Hall / Trew in the midfield or sub
like those changes ...those 4 outs provide nothing for the club darling is cooked and the other three are just list cloggers might as well bring in the youngens

‘Philipou said the last 6 weeks in the VFL will be the making of him’

There is a bit in this. Couple younger blokes could do with this

11 touches on the gimp wing (a few less than ginbey & Reid) I don't consider unsighted.

He's also only played 30 AFL games - let's get these kids we obviously rate to 50+ ASAP is the priority.

Also not convinced he's going to develop any better getting flogged in the WAFL.

That said, more than happy to get games into other kids - but IMO there's others that should go out before chess:
  • Hall - keen to see him given a shot, JJ can go out for him though
  • Trew - fait accompli that he's getting delisted if not getting a game now
  • Culley deserves another run, not sure it would be at chess's expense. Either him or Hall for JJ IMO. Don't think he'll succeed as a mid at AFL level though, more utility/fwrd. Competing with Maric IMO.
  • Maric needs to play - at the expense of a tall though, we're already too tall (darling?)
  • Burgiel - I like his talent, but been poor at WAFL level. Half back flank though.

Hewitt & Bazzo coming back I'm excited about.
Ed Langdon was also out on that wing, 22 disposals with 7 marks. That's what you want your winger doing, being a link man. Chesser had zero marks. Langdon is an experienced player, but no star. But he puts himself in positions to get the ball by being proactive. He shows far more desperation to get involved than Chesser who just floats up and back and only seems to get involved when the ball finds him rather than the other way around.

I was in a very spirited conversation earlier in the year regarding Chesser and heard the same arguments, that he was in a tough position and needed to be given a chance. Then I was overseas for about 6 weeks. All I really had to go on were the stats, and they were unchanged. Have seen him in action for the past 3 weeks and nothing has changed. Still getting picked as though he's a walk up start, despite contributing next to nothing.

You say that sending him back to the WAFL won't achieve anything but that is no reason to leave him in the AFL. Give someone else at least a go.

Agree wholeheartedly that Maric should be playing, because he's shown something. But he seems to battle to get a regular game. Understand we'd be too tall if he plays forward but I'd definitely give him the same chance that Chesser’s been given to see if he can be a winger.

The fact we gave up an extra pick for Clay Hall to not play him at all this year.

Is a ****ing disgrace.

If you are desperate to reach for a player. Then ****ing show it by playing him.
Especially when you also consider within the next few to go were McAuliffe, Fonti and Freijah as well as Ollie Murphy sliding as a KPD.

The fact we gave up an extra pick for Clay Hall to not play him at all this year.

Is a ****ing disgrace.

If you are desperate to reach for a player. Then ****ing show it by playing him.
Its a bit like trading back into the draft to pick up greg clarke... then play him on the wing...then delist him

Ed Langdon was also out on that wing, 22 disposals with 7 marks. That's what you want your winger doing, being a link man. Chesser had zero marks. Langdon is an experienced player, but no star. But he puts himself in positions to get the ball by being proactive. He shows far more desperation to get involved than Chesser who just floats up and back and only seems to get involved when the ball finds him rather than the other way around.

I was in a very spirited conversation earlier in the year regarding Chesser and heard the same arguments, that he was in a tough position and needed to be given a chance. Then I was overseas for about 6 weeks. All I really had to go on were the stats, and they were unchanged. Have seen him in action for the past 3 weeks and nothing has changed. Still getting picked as though he's a walk up start, despite contributing next to nothing.

You say that sending him back to the WAFL won't achieve anything but that is no reason to leave him in the AFL. Give someone else at least a go.

Agree wholeheartedly that Maric should be playing, because he's shown something. But he seems to battle to get a regular game. Understand we'd be too tall if he plays forward but I'd definitely give him the same chance that Chesser’s been given to see if he can be a winger.
Marics shown more as sub than chesser has done all year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time to throw some magnets around and try something new, doesn't matter who is in the helm

B: Hough Barrass Rotham
HB: Maric Gov Cole
C: Hunt Chesser Kelly
HF: Cripps Darling Brockman
FF: Ryan Allen Waterman
R: J.Williams Reid Yeo
Int: Ginbey, Hutchinson, Hall, Duggan, Witherden

Out: B.Williams, Jones,
In: Maric, Hall

If anyone doesnt think Maric should be back in next week, I fear for you and your mental health
Maric should be back but we're playing Ginbey, Chesser, Hunt and Jones on the wing. I'd rather see Maric play ahead of Jones but for whatever reason, he isn't. Ideally, we would find a role for Maric and commit to it, either wing at AFL level or half back at WAFL level - and let him play for a few weeks rather than chopping and changing and making him sub.

Ginbey was not good. The poor kid is going backwards at a rate of knots. Almost no impact as he barely makes a contest in general play.

So much uncertainty in what they are doing out there and chaos is not his buzz in my observations.

Early days but concerning and more evidence Simpson should get the arse before he ruins more young players.

Why not try Chesser on a half back flank? It's a more defined role and I think he'll benefit from the ball coming his way a bit more.
As big of a hater of Chesser I am, id rather play him at HB then Rotham if im being honest who has zero future with us

I guess the why not of that is because our coach is too stubborn to make such a big change

Out: Witherden, Rotham, Jones, Brockman
In: Hall, Dewar, Johnston, Maric

Duggan, Barrass, Hough
Maric, McGovern, Hunt

Ginbey, Hall, Kelly
BWilliams, Reid, Yeo

Cripps, Waterman, Ryan
Dewar, Allen, Darling

Johnston, Cole, JWilliams, Hutchinson

Chesser sub
Hall getting midfield minutes over ginbey is crazy.

Ginbey was not good. The poor kid is going backwards at a rate of knots. Almost no impact as he barely makes a contest in general play.

So much uncertainty in what they are doing out there and chaos is not his buzz in my observations.

Early days but concerning and more evidence Simpson should get the arse before he ruins more young players.
That’s because he’s being played out of position. He only attended 24% of centre bounces today. Go back to the last Melbourne game where he dominated. He attended 83% in that game.

Look you could put ****ing Patrick Cripps on our wing and he'd get pretty much the same output as Chesser and co.

We've got Yeo and Kelly dishing up 15 possession games with minimal impact and they are elite...well I'm overselling Kelly yeah.

The problem isnt Chesser and co, it's the game plan or lack of it. It's the shit coaching and inability to foster a winning culture and any sort of brand.

We've got premiership players that are just surviving.

Aside from barrass, McGovern and waterman and yeo most of the players are treading water at best.

It's the coaching that needs changing

That’s because Melbourne actually use there wingers quite a lot & we don’t. It’s also not Chessers fault when he’s made good position but simple skill errors from senior players end up with him getting burnt the other way because the ball goes straight to his man.

It’s not the kids who are the problem they are getting let down massively by the senior players who should be better.

Comparing to Langdon is super dumb. His output in his first three seasons was the exact same as Chesser hahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back