Game Day Round 18 vs. Geelong, MCG, 7:40pm Friday 12/07

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Form should be rewarded. AJ's served his time and although I have very little trust in his capacity to perform under pressure on the big stage I would love to see the bloke shove it up my clacker on Friday night. I also see Ned Long as an option in our forward line. He could at least have a few stints there and play a similar role to Checkers-bullock and wrestle, crash a pack or two. He's a solid unit. I do understand we lose that much needed defensive pressure as he lacks foot speed, but I suppose you have to weigh up what is more necessary at this stage.
Love your comments re Ash :hearteyes:

I think Pies play Cats well. But it's all about defensive pressure which is a Pies signature under Fly and even Bucks. Game against Bombers is just so far different from the normal, Pies look under done.

Too many injuries and recovering players, just a bad combination with a tough schedule and a pumped up Bomber side.

The way the cards have fallen after this round, a win next Friday night is essential as we are now 1 and a half games adrift of top 4.
But as I said in a previous post, I am not focussed on the destination (as much).
Yet, winning on Friday night would just be so extraordinary that I dare to dream...
And this team, well we know it never will just lie down...
I think we will have at least two forced changes, and I want to see both Reef and Ash in. Kreuger keeps playing back up ruck in the forward line and Ash focusses on kicking goals, like he did today.
McInnes gives another marking target and dimension to our forward line, and maybe gets a run through the centre.
Long in the 22, HH potentially sub.
Howe back in defence where he belongs.
Also want to see JFN in the team. So if there are three forced changes - as I think is likely (Checkers, DarcyC and IQ) then JFN comes in straight away.
Frampton plays ruck. He has done so in the past quite effectively.

Our problem is connection and midfield. I think we are better playing JDG forward - his timing when connecting with others is off, and his inboard kicks are just about always picked off.
maybe. But I think connection was lacking all over, and not just that between midfield and the forwards. Definitely, at a minimum, could rotate him through there.

I don't think it's a coincidence that the form of Geelong has improved since the injury to Hawkins.

There's something in that for us although I'm not quite sure what it is. Perhaps hope.

King Charles started his September sabbatical early has he? Da da da da da!!! You blokes are winning **** all!
What the last couple of weeks tells us is that anything is possible this season.. look at Sydney.. I still rate my blues chances, at least as much as any.. Collingwood can get their season back on track if they beat the cats

What the last couple of weeks tells us is that anything is possible this season.. look at Sydney.. I still rate my blues chances, at least as much as any.. Collingwood can get their season back on track if they beat the cats
You are brave to post here.
...and I think our moderators are far more free minded and democratic than yours.
You've got one guy there who just issues bans on the most pathetic basis.

This is sure a weird season. Almost any team is capable of beating any other on their day. You almost don’t know what you’re going to get, which team is going to turn up, from week to week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it's a coincidence that the form of Geelong has improved since the injury to Hawkins.

There's something in that for us although I'm not quite sure what it is. Perhaps hope.
Yeah I don't know what logic you're applying there...

that we'll play better without Checkers? Or we'll win because Hawkins isn't playing? 🥴

Double edged sword.
On the one hand, having one less tall forward is an advantage (a pro for us)
On the other hand, we play Geelong next week (obviously, a con)

Bring in Johnson and Reef and tell them to fight for their careers. Give them (and Kruger) license to fly at everything. I want to see desperation and chaos up forward, their best is good enough if they bring it. It will allow Howe to go back and steady things.

We only win this game if we draw a line in the sand. Our best us competitive with the best, but we need to see it more consistently across 4 quarters.

Most importantly is our midfield. Fly needs to throw down the gauntlet to this crew and challenge them to do more. Daicos, Crisp, De Goey, all capable of better.

Pies by 14.

Honest question

Does anyone think we can perform a miracle and sneak into 4th?

My head says no but my heart refuses to give up.

As for selection
Reef for checkers
Long in 22
Noble quaybor (if injured)
Harrison sub
johnston for Cameron (if injured)

Gee we need Elliot and cox back
I think making the 8 could be enough for us to really challenge provided we get our key personnel back. Adding McStay, Cox, Mcreery and Elliott changes the dynamic up forward and hopefully helps to spark our mojo back.
Obviously we need to win our next three against Geelong, Hawthorn and Richmond to keep us in it

How's this for a moronic comment on the Geelong forum?

Kingy cracking it about the Pies. Maybe he needs to realise that they’re just a good ordinary team that played out of their skins for two years 🤷🏻‍♂️

You've got to love a team that is ordinary but loses a preliminary final up in Sydney by a point when charging home with a wet sail-missing a ruckman for the second half and one of our best mids and was beaten in the last minute of the game against the eventual premiers who won the flag by around 80 points.

Then the following year, despite being hit with injuries unlike Sydney this year we sit on top all season, win all three finals including the GF while missing our full forward, best intercept defender and a tough, inside midfielder.

We just played out of our skins for two years.

....and was beaten in the last minute of the game against the eventual premiers who won the flag by around 80 points....
We were beaten in the PF by Sydney who were premiers?

Be cheered!
Happy Lets Go GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
A carlton loss does nothing for their ladder position, but hurts ours, with GWS now jumping above us.

In fact, every relevant result went against us this week (including our own, obviously) with all those who could possible leap frog us doing it this week. We needed those teams to start losing, not winning.

It's definitely a must win game now.

Anyone with the time, care to do the maths on how many games we'd have to win to get top 4 still? Assuming all other results go against us.

I would think we've already lost all the games we can, when considering 2 draws = 1 win 1 loss with points.

Maybe can lose one more perhaps. Top 4 already looks out of reach to me.

It's definitely a must win game now.

Anyone with the time, care to do the maths on how many games we'd have to win to get top 4 still? Assuming all other results go against us.

I would think we've already lost all the games we can, when considering 2 draws = 1 win 1 loss with points.

Maybe can lose one more perhaps. Top 4 already looks out of reach to me.
Just had a quick go on the ladder predictor, having us win every game, but also making all other results go the most unfavorably for us.

Even winning every game, we can only get to 5th with other results going against us.

It's a bit of a worry - not enough games between higher sides for the remainder of the year - mainly the ones we play, so most of our competitors can also win almost every week too. We are now 6 points out of top 4, so need to gain two wins on the others to get in.

Just seems like a bridge too far - realistically, best we can aim for now would be 5th or 6th and get a home elimination final.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back