Preview Round 19 2024 – GWS Giants vs Gold Coast Suns, Saturday July 20, 1.45pm AEST, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
My understanding for smaller knocks, yes. For big / concussion kind of knocks, no. :(
The mechanism for concussion is the brain moving within the skull. Head hits turf, stops suddenly and brain crashes into side of skull and you have concussion.

The helmet can’t stop the brain sloshing around inside the skull.

It’s why NFL players all have CTE, the helmets they thought were protecting their heads doesn’t help them with concussion

Probably gotta just go with Peatling. You knows he's always gonna have a crack.
Yeah, he always does which is why I like him. Needs to tidy up a couple things but reckon he shows a lot of promise.

Especially with his attitude of giving it a good hard crack which is visible as a spectator.
If we lose Cogs and Snooze. That's a lot of midfield minutes.

Could we send XO forward and bring Darcy into the mid mix for Bedford?

Peatling straight swap for Cogs if he's out.

That mid mix is starting to look a little thin
If we start to look a little too thin, wonder whether Kingsley may consider moving a couple cogs around which we know he doesn't generally do. Highly unlikely for this game I'd say unless we had many outs.

TFG was moved to the middle for one game from memory, but I don't remember how helpful that was.

Just hope we're not too thin, then get smashed in the middle which will put a strain on our backline potentially causing it to buckle and allowing the Suns to go on a run.

Hopeful with our recent form and renewed confidence that we'll manage with any ins or outs.

Last edited:
Looks like Xavier O’Halloran, Jacob Wehr and Leek Aleer the leading candidates for any outs.

In the Mix

With the club’s VFL side fresh off a bye, the GIANTS have a host of reinforcements waiting in the wings if needed on Saturday, with Xavier O’Halloran, Jacob Wehr and Leek Aleer the leading candidates.

Yeah, he always does which is why I like him. Needs to tidy up a couple things but reckon he shows a lot of promise.

Especially with his attitude of giving it a good hard crack which is visible as a spectator.

If we start to look a little too thin, wonder whether Kingsley may consider moving a couple cogs around which we know he doesn't generally do. Highly unlikely for this game I'd say unless we had many outs.

TFG was moved to the middle for one game from memory, but I don't remember how helpful that was.

Just hope we're not too thin, then get smashed in the middle which will put a strain on our backline potentially causing it to buckle and allowing the Suns to go on a run.

Hopeful with our recent form and renewed confidence that we'll manage with any ins or outs.
Given that TFG has just recently rediscovered his excellent goalkicking form, I can't see any chance of us moving him away from the forward line. Peating and XOH will be the next ones in, they're tough and quick and always give a massive effort, so I think we'll be fine.

I do wonder if we will keep Fonti in the backline. It worked okay against the Tigers, but they probably have the worst forward line in the competition at the moment and they still managed to score over 80 points on us. Ben King and Lukosius are pretty potent tall forwards, I can see them kicking a bag against an undersized backline. I wonder if we'd be better bringing Aleer or Haynes in instead.

Given that TFG has just recently rediscovered his excellent goalkicking form, I can't see any chance of us moving him away from the forward line. Peating and XOH will be the next ones in, they're tough and quick and always give a massive effort, so I think we'll be fine.

I do wonder if we will keep Fonti in the backline. It worked okay against the Tigers, but they probably have the worst forward line in the competition at the moment and they still managed to score over 80 points on us. Ben King and Lukosius are pretty potent tall forwards, I can see them kicking a bag against an undersized backline. I wonder if we'd be better bringing Aleer or Haynes in instead.
Agree.

Club has confirmed Aleer is in the potential mix to play. No mention of Haynes as a potential in so can probably rule Haynes out.

Last edited:
Cogs definitely out of the team for the Suns clash.

GREATER Western Sydney midfielder Stephen Coniglio will miss Saturday's clash against Gold Coast due to his troublesome shoulder injury.

The 213-gamer was restricted to running laps at the Giants' main training session on Thursday with forward Brent Daniels revealing Coniglio may be absent for next week's trip to face Melbourne as well.

"I don't think he'll play this week. It'll be a week by week thing, his shoulder's still a bit sore," Daniels said ahead of his 100th game at Engie Stadium on Saturday. We're hopeful we'll get him back in the next couple weeks, but we're not really sure."

James Peatling is the favourite to replace Coniglio, while Xavier O'Halloran may come in for Toby Bedford if his appeal over a three-game suspension fails at the AFL Appeal Board on Thursday.

Hope Cogs makes a speedy recovery. I'm sure his end of season surgery can't come soon enough.

Not an insignificant out for us, pretty sure I saw a stat recently that our win record this season is better with him in the team rather than out. Of course, not all attributed to him but every cog ⚙️ helps.
It can come in October …. Not September

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Alright. I wanna keep Fonti and bring in Leek.
Put Perryman into the midfield mix to cover Cogs. Peatling can play the Bedford role (if he's still out).

Thoughts? Feelings?

I don't think Fonti is good enough that we're going to compromise our structures to keep him in. He had a good debut but was very quiet in the last match.

Peatling in for Cogs
XOH in for Bedford
Aleer or Keeffe in for Fonti who goes to sub
Keefe won't come in. It'll be Aleer or Haynes you think.

I dunno, Fonti looked pretty confident last week.

Peatling and XO is probably the safe way to go though.

Charlie Cameron's appeal has been successful and he is free to play. Bedford will be next and hoping we get the same outcome 🤞

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back