Preview Round 19, 2024: Hawthorn v Collingwood, 20 July 2024 (Sat), 4:35pm @MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dont think they have been smashed at all. If anythig, they have been measured and expect a response from them. A lot will tip them.

Smashed is what will come next week if the lose to the Mighty Hawks.
It’s also irrelevant. They don’t need media to tell them their premiership defence teeters on the edge. They now what’s at stake

I think people are overthinking the Harry/CJ thing.

Clearly Sam rates Harry - he is usually next picked if there’s an injury or form issue.

CJ also clearly has a higher upside. I just wish he’d hit better running angles - more like a fullback in union cutting through, and less like a scrum half across the field. But I have confidence in his development.

You could have made the same arguments (short, slow, etc) about our coach but he went alright (5 PCMS, 4 premierships and a Brownlow).

Of course I am not saying Harry is anywhere in Sam's league as a player (to be fair very few are) but just making the point that you don't judge a player purely on their athletic capacity.

And right now if I had to pick between Harry and CJ for a spot in a much win game I would personally pick Harry based on recent form. CJ's averaging 11 disposals of the wing this year. I know he does a lot of unrewarded running but there wouldn't be another winger in the league getting so few disposals.
Mitchell wasn't a wingman he was an inside mid which Morrison couldn't possibly be he's not strong enough. Mitchell was strong enough to win the ball with when there's 14 players around it.

Wait what 😂

Called it out when this was first announced as the game we'd be wearing it in weeks ago.

It would force us into a situation where we'd be playing a big home game wearing a white clash strip against a team who would have to wear their own home strip to avoid a clash.

Common sense prevails. We'll wear our brown and gold traditional jumper on the big stage. Save the comical clash strip for an away fixture where it makes sense.

Clearly Sam rates Harry - he is usually next picked if there’s an injury or form issue.

CJ also clearly has a higher upside. I just wish he’d hit better running angles - more like a fullback in union cutting through, and less like a scrum half across the field. But I have confidence in his development.
We need what CJ can do at his best. Morrison and most players in the comp in fact cannot do what CJ can.

CJ has flaws but his weapons are vital to us succeeding. I don't think Morrison brings much that Ward, Finn, Mackenzie, Dambrosio cant. So Morrison is in the mix with those guys. CJ is top of the list for line breaking run and carry wingman (e.g Smith, Hill, Young, Bateman type) and that won't change unless Weddle or Day are moved to Wing. The other wing spot is the Amon, Dambrosio, Morrison, Jordan Lewis type.

Also when he "sets up the wall" when we have the ball in our forward 50, opposition won't kick in his area or contest. Collingwood kicking to Josh Daicos on the wing, who's going to beat him in an arial contest, Morrison or Jiath? if it his the deck, who's winning a foot race?, if you gotta stick a tackle? get and run it forward?

Morrison is very tidy and finds space to get his share of disposals, but he doesn't win contests, he isn't tall enough, strong enough, aglie or fast enough.
Good call out on CJ setting up the wall. We need to give him time to grow into the role, as once better mastered, it will be a critical part of how we play.

I don't disagree that CJ has a higher ceiling than Harry, thats hard to argue. CJ has athletic gifts that few in the league posses.

I would argue though that if I was to pick a team purely to win this Saturday, then based on recent form I would have to pick Harry over CJ.

I want nothing more than to see CJ rip it up on Saturday but for me in a must win match like this one is you play the odds (which is what Sam has done by picking Finn to tag Daicos). Picking CJ over Harry just seems like a slight risk.

I don't disagree that CJ has a higher ceiling than Harry, thats hard to argue. CJ has athletic gifts that few in the league posses.

I would argue though that if I was to pick a team purely to win this Saturday, then based on recent form I would have to pick Harry over CJ.

I want nothing more than to see CJ rip it up on Saturday but for me in a must win match like this one is you play the odds (which is what Sam has done by picking Finn to tag Daicos). Picking CJ over Harry just seems like a slight risk.
Picking CJ is definitely better from a win now perspective.

CJ does a mountain of defensive work that Harry simply can’t do. While CJ does make some mistakes in his defensive positioning he makes up for it with how much ground he covers.

Harry doesn’t have the leg speed to do this sort of defensive running and is outclassed by our other wings, mids and hf’s in an offensive role

I think you are thinking too short term here. CJ hasn't really played a lot of games over the last 2 years. He is learning a new position on the wing. He is also doing a lot of defensive running. His time at AFL level will pay-off as he gets continuity. You can see he is still trying to build that synergy with the rest of the team. It's not as fluent as Day, Worpel, Newk and others but it will come it just takes time and games together.

And he's been finding the goals! Which not a lot of our other midfield group do enough for my liking

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daicos really likes to get on the move at centre bounces. Rather than the player on him it’s all about blocking the space that he’s going to run into.

If we get our hands on the ball first though we should be able to exploit them going the other way.

Agree. I'd be concerned that Daicos would give Nash the slip in congestion, especially at CBA's where there is more space.

Agree. I'd be concerned that Daicos would give Nash the slip in congestion, especially at CBA's where there is more space.
Read an article in the age today that Collingwood's predominant CBA setup is designed to find Daicos in space. He has something close to the highest contested possession count coming from a ruck contest.

Was a good read

85k. Pfffttt. Only our second biggest crowd of the year.

How good is it to get so many "finals like" games under the belt. Going to be invaluable for the experience. Great to be honing our gameplan under such great pressure.

I don’t think this will be as easy as the board seems to think. It’s their last shot at finals they have mcstay back of an ACL it will be wet there are a lot of things that we need to deal with to win. But that’s exactly what we need these type of tests and so far we have largely come out victorious so I’m optimistic but far from cocky. Winning clearance critical tomorrow.

I don’t think this will be as easy as the board seems to think. It’s their last shot at finals they have mcstay back of an ACL it will be wet there are a lot of things that we need to deal with to win. But that’s exactly what we need these type of tests and so far we have largely come out victorious so I’m optimistic but far from cocky. Winning clearance critical tomorrow.

I think the game it self will be close. Sam getting into McRaes head was too easy and half the battle won there in my opinion.

If the Hawks bring 4 qtrs of there best footy we can win this game!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back