Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Got around to reading through the CD sheet
So using the actual rating points system. The top 4
Swallow 19.6
Flanders 18.5
Moyle 17.2
Sexton 16.0

Really happy to see some system that appreciated Sexton’s game today. Only Lloyd Johnston had more pressure acts than he did. Then hit the scoreboard when nobody could, even halved some 1v2 contest at half forward. If you told me in the last 10 years Secco was one of our best pressure forwards…

One thing I find really noticeable is we’ve run into the Melbourne issue (one of the other teams with high time in fwd half and inside 50 dominance) The wrong players are getting it inside 50 at the wrong time

The Giants pressure was obviously high so tough for even the good kicks to hit options. However some of these poorer kicks in our side when In space either didn’t have the confidence to hit the kick or didn’t think they should be the ones doing it. Either way it’s a problem

26 total shots (9 inside 30m) against a top 4 side away from home is still quite impressive given the obvious ball use issues

Would prefer to get back Rankine :D :D
Losing Izak killed off our last coach and has probably lost us 5 or 6 games in the past 18 months
Guys like him are irreplaceable
To be fair he decided to go and we couldn't offer him enough to stay
Even his manager tried to get him to stay!
If you can find a fast skilful small forward that can kick up to 6 a game and offer up 6 assists please give Dimma a call
He was by far and away the best field kick in the team too by some distance
I nearly didnt renew when he left because win or lose I turned up just to see him play
I was devastated -but Dewy was suicidal I reckon
From what I understand about Rankine was it was all about family and that he grew up as a Crows supporter and although he has been pretty successful still has issues with injury and discipline. The guys I mentioned would be more of giving depth to your state league team and be able to fill in the seniors when guys like Rosas are out. They probably would be as returning mature aged academy graduates a good PR story like Bruce Revile is for the Lions

From what I understand about Rankine was it was all about family and that he grew up as a Crows supporter and although he has been pretty successful still has issues with injury and discipline. The guys I mentioned would be more of giving depth to your state league team and be able to fill in the seniors when guys like Rosas are out. They probably would be as returning mature aged academy graduates a good PR story like Bruce Revile is for the Lions
Yeah, nothing wrong with trying some lower league players. Sometimes they work (Clohesy, for example), sometimes they don’t, but at the very least they flesh out depth.

Because it’s obviously an area we need more depth in. Halfback, wing and small forward. We need to add class. We’re mostly fine elsewhere and will get another top midfielder in Lombard this year.

Obviously we’d all rather trade in a ready made winner, but we’ll see what happens.
Unsure if it's been linked, but we win by 21 points on expected score:

xScore GWS 63.2, xScore Gold Coast 84.2

This helps explain Dimma’s attitude after the game. Seems like we are playing his “system” or brand, but on an individual level the team was disappointing.

The negatives outweighed the positives, but the positives were pretty good.

The negatives were pretty obvious. But the main one for mine, and the big question mark that has hung over this team for years, is who are the difference makers, where are the match winners?

Rankine gave us that for a few games for a few years, but other than that, when it gets uncomfortable and the other team gets on a role and there is pressure to score goals to turn the tide, who is going to step up? It does not mean we win the game, but it does mean we get back in the game.

There were quite a few moments in the 2nd quarter for quite a few players where they did not step up. A fumble, a dropped mark, a missed spoil, a missed tackle, missing a target when the target was there (super important for us), a poor decision, and most importantly in this game, missing a good chance to kick a goal and keep us right in the game. The more that happens the more important the next moment is, the next chance to get the job done.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you look at the list of who should be our best players in a game like this, they are the ones who did not get the job done when it counted. Thats the long term worry. Surely by know, those players have had enough practice at being in that position.

Positives
  • We were in the game from the jump. First job is to show up with energy and intent, which we did.
  • Forced enough turnovers to do some damage. They scored goals pretty easily at times while moving the ball, but you have to make them pay when they don't (whoops). They played free and fast b/c we didn't score goals from turnovers. Score some goals, add some doubt, get a player to second guess, slow them down a bit.
  • Win the clearance, contested ball, and ruck battle. When the game was in the balance, we won that part of the game. Moyle is pretty good. Suggest Dimma look at the two ruck setup, sometimes you just need to play your best 22 players and those 2 rucks are in there atm.
  • If we (ever) start getting the scoreboard moving when it should be moving, think it is going to be pretty good. On paper. In theory. Maybe. Hopefully. Priority pick!!!!!

The negatives outweighed the positives, but the positives were pretty good.

The negatives were pretty obvious. But the main one for mine, and the big question mark that has hung over this team for years, is who are the difference makers, where are the match winners?

Rankine gave us that for a few games for a few years, but other than that, when it gets uncomfortable and the other team gets on a role and there is pressure to score goals to turn the tide, who is going to step up? It does not mean we win the game, but it does mean we get back in the game.

There were quite a few moments in the 2nd quarter for quite a few players where they did not step up. A fumble, a dropped mark, a missed spoil, a missed tackle, missing a target when the target was there (super important for us), a poor decision, and most importantly in this game, missing a good chance to kick a goal and keep us right in the game. The more that happens the more important the next moment is, the next chance to get the job done.

As someone mentioned earlier, if you look at the list of who should be our best players in a game like this, they are the ones who did not get the job done when it counted. Thats the long term worry. Surely by know, those players have had enough practice at being in that position.

Positives
  • We were in the game from the jump. First job is to show up with energy and intent, which we did.
  • Forced enough turnovers to do some damage. They scored goals pretty easily at times while moving the ball, but you have to make them pay when they don't (whoops). They played free and fast b/c we didn't score goals from turnovers. Score some goals, add some doubt, get a player to second guess, slow them down a bit.
  • Win the clearance, contested ball, and ruck battle. When the game was in the balance, we won that part of the game. Moyle is pretty good. Suggest Dimma look at the two ruck setup, sometimes you just need to play your best 22 players and those 2 rucks are in there atm.
  • If we (ever) start getting the scoreboard moving when it should be moving, think it is going to be pretty good. On paper. In theory. Maybe. Hopefully. Priority pick!!!!!
Yeah, start was great. Missing relatively easy shots from so many players was demoralizing. We should be up by 3 goals in 5 mins. Score pressure would do wonders.

We do struggle with opposition pressure, but some turnovers were shockers.

We could not score in 2nd half (2.5). Just 2 points in 3rd quarter. We looked a bit tired and did not know what to do, the system looked wobbly.

Stats numbers look great.

Not sure why people were picking up on Swallow. He was one of better players.

Good to see Weller surviving the game.

I just hope Rosas realized that he cost us with his stupid act (second time this year).

I doubt Witts and Moyle can play together. Moyle over Witts for me. Briggs usually has Witts number. I still can't believe how well Moyle played against Briggs and did not fade out.

Let's see if we can topple Lions at home. It's still not over. But yeah, looking forward to next year.

A lot of people are disappointed. Me too but we do play easily the youngest line-ups recently. I still prefer to support Suns than watching that train wreck yesterday (Cats and Magpies).

Last edited:
I think hitting panic stations on Walter is a bit premature. Has a lot to learn but he is very young still, if this is representative of him at the end of next year, then a few questions may be asked.
But should he be playing AFL now over say Brock or as someone has suggested even standing Moyle at FF
Either option is likely to produce much more for the Club if Witter comes back into the team

He has 0 football IQ, crashes packs when teammates are in prime position, doesn't understand leading patterns, just stands there and calls for it on his head. He is coming from a long way back unfortunately. All my u18 fears about him are coming true, can't brute force AFL sized defenders like he did last year.

Similar was said about Tom Boyd when he was drafted after dominating TAC cup
People have too high expectations on him but our forwards coaching has been poor for a long time

Alex Rance's position has become untenable but are Dimma's richmond boys off limits?

Ballard needs to come back looking like Riley Thilthorpe, he's been in the system too long now, maybe cancel your trip to europe and get professional and buy a gym membership. Why was everyone so keen to let Hollands go? Why did we trade Chol out? Has removing his lack of professionalism from the club made us a better unit? Sharp had been pushed out for 2 years prior but why were we ok with letting him go? We've got a bunch of pigs who can't kick with hooves.

Alot of over reaction on here I think even Kingsley said our transfer from defence was good today they only beat us by inaccurate goal kicking heaps of positives can be taken out of that game
People are just sick of losing. Most are completely ignoring that we actually played well if you look at every stat other than goalkicking and it's highly unlikely that we'll have another day like that in front of the big sticks this season. Extra goalkicking sessions this week and the addition of Rosas should address this for the QClash.

On reflection,
Definitely not as bad as it felt yesterday.
We beat GWS on so many facets of the game, just not on the score board nor social media.

Definitely missing something up forward.
I love Walter and I believe he will be a player. Reminds me of a young Tom Hawkins. But just not ready.

Without scrolling backwards, I know somebody suggested two rucks. It’s genius. Who’s to say Moyle can’t play forward. He definitely doesn’t deserve to be dropped, but when your captain is available they generally play. Need to do as the old El Paso taco add..
IMG_5881.jpeg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

SandyToes, Rowell-Anderson and the other guy (sorry I’ve forgotten).
Well apparently I was very immature in my banter with you.
All the best.
Kind regards.

Probably not me, I haven’t noticed anything out of line

Alex Rance's position has become untenable but are Dimma's richmond boys off limits?

Ballard needs to come back looking like Riley Thilthorpe, he's been in the system too long now, maybe cancel your trip to europe and get professional and buy a gym membership. Why was everyone so keen to let Hollands go? Why did we trade Chol out? Has removing his lack of professionalism from the club made us a better unit? Sharp had been pushed out for 2 years prior but why were we ok with letting him go? We've got a bunch of pigs who can't kick with hooves.
I questioned the Rance appointment when it happened and was heavily shot down on here. It's never made sense, while he was a good player he hasn't been in football for years, has never projected as a leader or a great football mind. Felt very much like jobs for mates and it still stinks.

What’s the Rance untenable thing please??

I didn’t know he was still around

Just let that one wash over you, allow every late-season road game from the last three years to flash before your eyes. Notice the combination of bitter disappointment and acceptance that you always knew that was going to happen. Imagine Dimma slowly plucking each of his hairs out in seething anger on the plane home. That was Giants v. Suns R19 2024.

I don’t really know how to feel after that performance. The pessimistic side of me is just disappointed as our main flaw held us back again from rising to the next level (kicking inside 50). But the optimistic side of me sees 63 inside 50s, +13 clearances, +1 marks inside 50 and 6 maybe 8 ‘should have been goals’ that put us right there with the Giants. But the eye test tells a different story of sloppy disposals and players who looked bereft of confidence......

https://eyesonthesuns.wordpress.com/2024/07/22/2024-r-19-giants-v-suns-review-please-dont-fade-out/

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 19 - Western Sydney @ Energie Stadium - 20th July 2024 - 1:45pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Back