Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Dear Trainee Receptionist,

This performance typified our club this season. Absolutely pathetic. How many lifelines have we been given this season basically gift wrapped to us and haven’t taken advantage of them. There is absolutely no excuse for the putrid lack of effort shown by the players tonight and the lack of respect for the opposition is quite evident.

We had too many passengers tonight and not enough willing to work hard. This never should have happened. We can blame injuries and covid and everything else under the sun but the facts are we are just an average football team.

I sincerely hope they take a long hard look at their performances towards the end of the season. To go from what we showed against Brisbane three weeks ago to this is unacceptable. I am sure I’m not alone in saying my ever tested faith in this club is waning by the week.

These false promises and hope that we’ve been living under that we’re on the right track have been utterly snuffed and it’s gotten to a point that I start to doubt we ever really were on the right track. Smoke and mirrors by a club determined to continue deluding their supporters that they are relevant.

Oh are these words too harsh? Well it BC turns out I have a great respect for unfortunate messengers such as yourself who will have to deal with the less tolerable supporters so for that I apologise.

This club has taken my remaining confidence and energy and drained it and converted it to despair so they can once again crush me.

Will forever love this team but I’ve never ever believed that love is reciprocated and nor do I think it ever truly will be,

A most saddened and emotionally exhausted member,

SaintBilly

Apologies in advance for the length of this rant.

I’m not going to act like I saw that coming. We had some great ins, against a team not in great form and after King’s first quarter I thought we were for sure going to be at least competitive. At the same time, what a bloody predictable result in total Saints fashion.

To absolutely dominate in the ruck and not do anything with it is deplorable (70 hit outs to 11). To have the players we had on the park and not bring the effort is a massive shame. We lost the tackle count as well. We seemed to have no structure, no strategy, no vigour or intent. This is despite beating the blues in total disposals, inside 50s, clearances, contested possessions, uncontested possessions and turnovers. Needless to say, 2021 has not been our year, and that is entirely on us. Regardless of fixture / Covid / injuries.

We have really struggled to kick a big score this year, our goal kicking and structure in attack needs a big review. Haven’t looked like the same team since preseason. IMO, we are not scoring nearly enough to warrant our playing style.

Positive signs from Connolly, King (he deserves better delivery), Byrnes, Highmore and our youth. As for our seniors, it’s fair to say I’m disappointed. Full credit to Carlton as well, they played well given the context of this game.

I am absolutely gutted for Howard, many prophesied that an injury to him would be apocalyptic. Clark as well, what a shame. Absolutely ridiculous how many injuries we have had this year.

But don’t lose faith. It’s clear that we have the tools necessary for a good team, and perhaps the nucleus for a great one. I hope we land a great high draft pick/NGA’s and trust our youth to take us forward. Massive off-season coming up, and it’s time for our leaders both on and off the field to stand up too. We are in the making.

Lastly, I include the below photo not to create some kind of false pretence of success, but to conclude on a highlight. Congratulations to Sharman for kicking his first goal (2 goals total) in AFL, nice little set shot that was.

Strength through loyalty ❤🤍🖤

B20209DC-5CBA-4743-828E-A92E06D4761B.jpeg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sharman was impressive, could see it from his time in the VFL he looked a natural player and that appears to be the case. Hope he keeps getting opportunities.

Kings dominance before Carlton got on top in the middle was awesome, happy for him to continue his strong form.

Injury to Howard could be devastating for us.

From the team tonight, I have the following that I have little faith in:
1. Hunter
2. Long
3. Kent
4. Billings
5. Ross
6. Dunstan
7. Butler
8. Ratten + coaching staff

The real worry is this. Good coaches don't let beltings like this happen this many times in a season. We need to seriously review everyone's position at the end of the year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back