Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

King is a star
Steele is a gun
Marshall is awesome
Connolly and Byrnes showed signs
Sharman is someone to persist with. I think another year in the vfl to develop his craft and body will do him a lot of good.

Dunstan has gone back to his old self. The reason he was playing so good was because he was playing unselfish and doing a tagging role.
Paul Hunter tries his heart out, but he is just not up too standard.
We are in desperate need of a key defender, like literally anyone. We have tomake a play for on in the off season.
I’d be taking offers for Ross or Billings. I’m not sure their heart/mind is in it at this club anymore.
theyve just gotta play Coffield and Bytel. I personally think they are talented enough to make it. We can do much worse.
Kent is just not up too standard as well.

Keen to see Paton, Gresham, wood, Battle, hanners *, back next year. These are all big outs

We overrate our list. Carlton have better pieces than us but under achieve. Similar flaky sides, they already have pressure off. King and Steele are our only really top line players and King has played a few good games so far. The rest are very average. Sam Walsh looks a much better player than our guys and is on the way to elite. We have to start to nail our high draft picks, it's the only way to get the guns. Hill was a dumb choice even though he improved. Sat out of drafts for a cherry on a turd cake.

They have 18 first round draft picks as I've stated many times. Plus big name recruits like Saad and Williams. They should be top four

I felt like it was one of the worst performances I can remember, both off and on the field.

Started at selection. Bringing Hunter in for no reason, just mind-blowingly bad. Bringing in all these players that weren't ready (Higgins, Clark) just because we could. Unbelievable. Bringing players out for no reason (Coffield, Clararino). Just stupid.

We lost our momentum at selection through arrogance. Ratts backs himself in, great. Good on him. But here's the thing.

YOU DON'T HAVE THE RIGHT.

Back the players in that have proven themselves. Back the players in that have some kind of form.

We had so many players out there that clearly aren't up to it (Hunter, Kent). We had no clear plan to out-ruck them.

And then our skill selection. Just shocking. How a guy like Billing can be asking for a big contract when he can't execute a simple set shot at goal. Or put on an ounce of pressure.

Our pressure tonight was abysmal. Just so bad.

Sorry but Ratts isn't up to it. I think that's clear now, he can't even pick a team let alone coach one. We were clearly the best team between us and the Blues and we lost by 6 goals. We were down by 10 odd at one stage. Just not good enough.

Yeah I think Ratts is done after tonight, feel like we're treading water with him to be honest. Tonight was an opportunity to go into the 8 and we lost to a side that we are miles better than.

Yep, not good enough.

Woeful

Smashed by Carlton without a Ruckman

Can't blame injuries

Billings a match winner 🤣

We are poorly coached

We have a team who can't consistently execute the basic skills of the game.

Ive said it over and over again, good ball users... that's what this club needs.

Incredibly disappointing season with too many abysmal losses.

Heat needs to come on Ratten.

Go through our list though. When I had to rate our list it's very very poor. We seriously look a bottom 4 side on paper. Adelaide and the Pies are better lists. No coach can fix the list.

We overrate our list. Carlton have better pieces than us but under achieve. Similar flaky sides, they already have pressure off. King and Steele are our only really top line players and King has played a few good games so far. The rest are very average. Sam Walsh looks a much better player than our guys and is on the way to elite. We have to start to nail our high draft picks, it's the only way to get the guns. Hill was a dumb choice even though he improved. Sat out of drafts for a cherry on a turd cake.
Well Sam Walsh was a number one pick in a great draft, but I agree he is better then any of our kids bar King. I don't necccesarily think they have better pieces tho. Their backline is overated and they just beat us today with their spead from the stoppages and really our own errors.

They have 18 first round draft picks as I've stated many times. Plus big name recruits like Saad and Williams. They should be top four

They have good pieces but can't make it count. They need Clarko and probably would be.

Gee, I thought our Mids let us down. Even with the stats by their side… I guess it’s a whole team pressure and skill thing realistically.
D4006F63-85C3-446D-B511-1273EBC38424.jpeg
Wouldn’t mind seeing the efficiency ratings.

Why are our players instructed to reward Brad Hill with the possessions they've earnt when he's either not in a damaging position or he turns the ball over.

Tonight missing Sincs really hurt. We have used him and Hill quite well the past 8 weeks. But with Sincs out, no one stepped up to help and so Hill was left to be the line breaker all on his own. Meant the Blues only needed to aim for him.

Whats with the game plan going into forward 50.
“ go long to max and if it’s a bad option go long to their defenders”

Hopefully sharman could work out as the 3rd forward we desperately need and a crumber to go with it please. Not Long , Kent or Lonie either .
Billings ? Need to hang him out to trade and see who bites .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Sam Walsh was a number one pick in a great draft, but I agree he is better then any of our kids bar King. I don't necccesarily think they have better pieces tho. Their backline is overated and they just beat us today with their spead from the stoppages and really our own errors.

Nailing your high picks is how you get stars. Cripps used to be a star too and Dow has improved. Weitering is a gun.

It's pretty clear that we're reactive with many things, selections, gamestyle, structure etc...

We've had a rigid structure all year. When we don't have our best 22, instead of updating our structure, we try to fill the voids with sub-standard players. We might have better players unselected, or promising youth ready to go, but no we just stick with the same structure and play proven limited players.

The lack of forward thinking and being proactive is truly worrisome, it hasn't changed and doesn't look like changing. I'd love our players to be healthily scared of our coach, instead of being scared of the opposition. Mediocrity still reigns.

They were
hungrier than us , how can we lose the midfield when they didn't even have a ruck.
Ratten got a problem.

Piss poor effort again at Marvel, we need a new home ground, time to go back to Moorabbin where we can turn the sprinklers on and create a mudheap.

Either that or we sack Ratten and get Clarko or bring back GT where we played sensational footy under the roof at Etihad.

Only positives tonight were Connolly and Sharman, they are going to be good players for us once they get a couple of pre-seasons under their belt.

Dunstan looks a million bucks on paper tonight.

29 touches
15 contested
10 Clearances
5 score involvements

he got better as the game went on. He was shit early. Most of them waited until the heat came off then racked up meaningless stats. Membrey ended with 3 goals but did **** all until the game was nailed closed.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2021: St.Kilda v Carlton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back