Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

The game was shocking for sure but we beat them and all the top teams have had tough games against them, if guys like Marshall and King turn it on in a game our fortunes could easily change , Marshall was outstanding today and at least King had 16 touches so he is getting his hands on the ball he just needs to start killing more goals.
We have the upside and next week who knows what team will show up , but knowing one thing they know it is going to be a tough game and if they don't turn up we will be punished.
Dangerfield is going to be a major headache.

Let's see if they can surprise us.

Danger is pretty ordinary these days, he turned back the clock against Melbourne but he's only just going. That said so was Fyfe until we met them.

I think we should be setting ourselves for this one. Geelong won't be too scared of us and might be gettable with their eyes on finals and better opposition coming up. They have lost Stanley so if Marshall could play like last night we would have a decent advantage. We need our forwards to get their shit together and Hanners is going to have to back it up.

I reckon a good coaching strategy could get them but we would need to have a huge performance. They should set this up like it's our grand final. Win this and we have a toe back in the water. Finals should be the minimum expectation still IMO.

The difference between our percentage and the Dogs is that they played West Coast when they were a joke and won by 100 points.

Decent wins against the Hawks and Pies too.

Danger is pretty ordinary these days, he turned back the clock against Melbourne but he's only just going. That said so was Fyfe until we met them.

I think we should be setting ourselves for this one. Geelong won't be too scared of us and might be gettable with their eyes on finals and better opposition coming up. They have lost Stanley so if Marshall could play like last night we would have a decent advantage. We need our forwards to get their s**t together and Hanners is going to have to back it up.

I reckon a good coaching strategy could get them but we would need to have a huge performance. They should set this up like it's our grand final. Win this and we have a toe back in the water. Finals should be the minimum expectation still IMO.
Quote: Danger is pretty ordinary these days

Yeah his body is probs starting catch up with him but he was pretty switched on against the Dogs this weekend.
Put Windhager on him.

Last edited:

If won 3 I reckon we finish 7th and play freo away. Dogs need to somehow lose next week which I doubt because even though I love your thinking we can’t beat Geelong unless they are off and we are right on. They dismantled the dogs even though the dogs got a fast start.
Has to be a North v Richmond were we kick 15.2 and they kick 10.20 or something like that.

Genuinely need to ask the question about how we move forward with Marshall.

He is half the player as a forward ruck as opposed to a genuine ruckmen.

As good as Ryder is, are we hurting ourselves?

Is Lobb the answer?

Gut feeling says we can’t let sentiment rule our decision making at the end of this season

Willie is great most weeks but did a job on Gunston.
It will be a big test for Marshall against two rucks who can tag team him. He won't be able to wear his opponent down.
I'm not sure how we handle Hawkins and Cameron. Have to hope we win every centre clearance and keep them to less than ten inside fifties.

Hawkins will be the the big test if Howard isn't back. We almost need to bring Irish back in if he's not available.

I'd say Collingwood are the opposite to unimpressive. Winning close matches shows the grit you need to win finals. I'd have them well in the race this year. The winner is going to come from Melbourne, Geelong, Sydney, Carlton, Collingwood, Freo and Brisbane. I we somehow made it we wouldn't go far IMO, we look closer to Hawthorn than top 8. Dogs look like if they could sneak in they could get some Bevo magic take them a long way. Richmond and St Kilda would be making up numbers.
Big call to say the winner is going to come from one of the 7 teams locked in the 8.

If we do sneak in, of course we will be making up the numbers. A team has never won a premiership from 8th. But we are currently sitting 8th with 11 wins (which was enough to make finals last year) so I'd say we currently look like the 8th placed side.

Is Lobb the answer?

Gut feeling says we can’t let sentiment rule our decision making at the end of this season
Lobb is the closest thing to what we need. Yes he’s inconsistent but he’s the perfect type of player for us.

Big call to say the winner is going to come from one of the 7 teams locked in the 8.

If we do sneak in, of course we will be making up the numbers. A team has never won a premiership from 8th. But we are currently sitting 8th with 11 wins (which was enough to make finals last year) so I'd say we currently look like the 8th placed side.

I think they are in the race for a premiership. Not many have been talking them up for a flag. Usually the top 4 is where the likely winner comes from but it could easily be a year an outsider gets there, but it looks like they'll get top 4 anyway so are absolutely in the race. They were bottom 4 last year.

I think they are in the race for a premiership. Not many have been talking them up for a flag. Usually the top 4 is where the likely winner comes from but it could easily be a year an outsider gets there, but it looks like they'll get top 4 anyway so are absolutely in the race. They were bottom 4 last year.
What are you answering there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

gringo your evil (positive) twin has hacked your account

I've been positive on the list all year, the players have done their bit. Just not happy with the coaching or footy department. The "positive" ones are like Plugger they are just hysterical drama queens that shout down anything that they don't agree with. They think the list is shit with a great coach so they are obviously much more positive.

They might be but their performances have hardly been convincing recently against average sides. And I’ve heard a lot recently about how that makes a team no chance against a good side so I presume that same logic would be applied to Collingwood and the premiership discussion.

Personally, I think the premiership race is down to Geelong, Melbourne and maybe Brisbane depending how they go at the MCG today. Sydney the only outsider I’d have as a chance but given their age profile, it’s hard to tell if they can be consistent for a full month of finals.

Is Lobb the answer?

What does Lobb bring? I think he looks like fools gold. He's a pretty meh player. I think apart from height he doesn't offer much more than Hayes.

What's funny about it?
King being the leading goal kicker in the afl with better coaching even with his poor strike rate. Pick a stats thing that backs up you knocking the coaching. I typed in afl player ratings and the first I looked at had 3 saints players in the first 100. Stats are great. You can build any point of view. No holes in any area on the ground. That’s probably the funniest one.

What does Lobb bring? I think he looks like fools gold. He's a pretty meh player. I think apart from height he doesn't offer much more than Hayes.
Averages two goals a game this year and has kicked three a few times against good opponents. He’s not going to win a Coleman but he’s playing alongside King and will be solid in the ruck when he goes in there for five minutes a quarter.

Ticks a lot of boxes.

Quote: Danger is pretty ordinary these days

Yeah his body is probs starting catch up with him but he was pretty switched on against the Dogs this weekend.
Put Winhager on him.

I reckon he goes to one of the full time mids. Danger mostly plays as a high half forward who moves up with the play. Guthrie would be my guess, he wins a lot of their clearances lately. Perhaps have Long or someone go to Danger if he's having a big game as a pure shut down.

Are you just here to troll my posts this morning? Go have a another beer and let the adults talk.
It was a fair question. Read what you quoted and read your reply. The beer joke is actually pathetic. Do adults repeat the same thing 10 times a day. Maybe if you have Alzheimer’s. No read why I asked that question because I honestly don’t understand the reply. It wasn’t a smart arse question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 20, 2022: St.Kilda v Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Back