Opinion Round 20 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

We were third last year, and I think the top 4 were a lot closer last year, this year there's a pretty big gap between hawthorn and Sydney, and us and Geelong.
Win loss of each club says this is the closest premiership race we've had in recent memory. We can beat any of the other top three. We're not out of anything if we miss top two.

I agree, wouldn't be too concerned about missing gf if Freo finish 3-4. I would if they drop that first final though.

Playing a small forward line sounds tempting in theory but in practice it usually, and against good opposition, ends up in frustratingly watching guys like Ballantyne and Walters trying to out mark KPD's, a safe defensive mark and then the ball moves straight back out of our 50m. I think it was the Sydney game last year where sure we got a draw but not having a tall option killed us all night.

Hopefully Pav plays.

If not Crozier and Taberner/Apeness in, probably Taberner from the sounds of it but whichever it is, neither is anywhere near ready to be our sole tall forward option so maybe pair them with Clarke playing predominantly forward, if they kick goals great if not between the two of them they can hopefully keep defenders busy and get it to ground. Use our usual mid field rotation forward to add another 190cm player to the mix and if we need to move a player back to make room and support our defense I'd move Mayne before Clarke.

Walters is a talented natural footballer with good instincts. He also have not played for a few months and is potentially unfit. In the perfect world he gets a few weeks to work his fitness back or just prove he is ready.

From outside looking in, Walter's inclusion in this game will be a big gamble, it can payoff handsomely or fail miserably. Playing him will be seen as a last roll of the dice where we otherwise have no chance of victory.

Of course, the coaches will have a better understanding of his fitness level than us, so they will make a more informed decision that us.

I hope he plays (that is, he is fit and all). Will be staring at the training report thread closely :)

Of course not. But it does make it considerably harder
Of course it's harder. Doesn't mean we "put a fork in us" if we lose this week (or any of the other upcoming matches). We are realistically as good a chance as any of the other teams in the 4. Even if we lose this week, we could still beat Hawthorn (who've just lost Gunston for a few weeks which means Hale and Roughy are left as their genuine talls) and Port both of whom we face at subi. Even if we finish 5th, it makes it very hard for us, but not impossible. Adelaide have shown that you can win a flag from outside the top 4. Numerous flags have been won from outside the top 2. Both Adelaide teams have shown Port 02,03,04 finished minor premiers for 1 flag and 1 grand final appearance. Adelaide in 05 and 06 (from memory think they might have finished second in that year) No grand finals despite being the standout team for both 05 and 06. Did anyone really see Hawthorn winning the GF in 08 when going up against the Geelong Juggernaut? My point is you just have to get things right in September. We should be managing guys like Luke, Walters, Pav, Sandi et.al as best we can so that we're cherry ripe in September. The cards are falling our way - We're getting personnel back - Griff, Kep, Walters etc... and now Stevie J is out, and Gunston the following week. We might well finish in the top two yet, but even if we don't we're not out of this by a long, long way.

Playing a small forward line sounds tempting in theory but in practice it usually, and against good opposition, ends up in frustratingly watching guys like Ballantyne and Walters trying to out mark KPD's, a safe defensive mark and then the ball moves straight back out of our 50m. I think it was the Sydney game last year where sure we got a draw but not having a tall option killed us all night.

Hopefully Pav plays.

If not Crozier and Taberner/Apeness in, probably Taberner from the sounds of it but whichever it is, neither is anywhere near ready to be our sole tall forward option so maybe pair them with Clarke playing predominantly forward, if they kick goals great if not between the two of them they can hopefully keep defenders busy and get it to ground. Use our usual mid field rotation forward to add another 190cm player to the mix and if we need to move a player back to make room and support our defense I'd move Mayne before Clarke.
Funnily enough it was swinging a 197cm Johnson into the forward line that got us the draw. In saying that our scrum type style of push the ball forward, scrap, push the ball forward, scrap, stoppage, push forward repeat... suits small nimble guys like Walters, Balla and even Mayne. We've started trying to bomb the ball in a bit more this year and when you've only got one genuine tall (who isn't that tall for a key forward) it makes things difficult.

Of course it's harder. Doesn't mean we "put a fork in us" if we lose this week (or any of the other upcoming matches). We are realistically as good a chance as any of the other teams in the 4. Even if we lose this week, we could still beat Hawthorn (who've just lost Gunston for a few weeks which means Hale and Roughy are left as their genuine talls) and Port both of whom we face at subi. Even if we finish 5th, it makes it very hard for us, but not impossible. Adelaide have shown that you can win a flag from outside the top 4. Numerous flags have been won from outside the top 2. Both Adelaide teams have shown Port 02,03,04 finished minor premiers for 1 flag and 1 grand final appearance. Adelaide in 05 and 06 (from memory think they might have finished second in that year) No grand finals despite being the standout team for both 05 and 06. Did anyone really see Hawthorn winning the GF in 08 when going up against the Geelong Juggernaut? My point is you just have to get things right in September. We should be managing guys like Luke, Walters, Pav, Sandi et.al as best we can so that we're cherry ripe in September. The cards are falling our way - We're getting personnel back - Griff, Kep, Walters etc... and now Stevie J is out, and Gunston the following week. We might well finish in the top two yet, but even if we don't we're not out of this by a long, long way.
Adelaide even lost the first week in 98, but that was under the other ridiculous finals system though. Agree with being a chance in the top 4 but as a WA team winning from 5th is almost mission impossible imo.

Adelaide even lost the first week in 98, but that was under the other ridiculous finals system though. Agree with being a chance in the top 4 but as a WA team winning from 5th is almost mission impossible imo.
No doubt its "almost" impossible. Adelaide still had to get on a plane though, so it can be done.

Funnily enough it was swinging a 197cm Johnson into the forward line that got us the draw. In saying that our scrum type style of push the ball forward, scrap, push the ball forward, scrap, stoppage, push forward repeat... suits small nimble guys like Walters, Balla and even Mayne. We've started trying to bomb the ball in a bit more this year and when you've only got one genuine tall (who isn't that tall for a key forward) it makes things difficult.

And if we had Walters and Mayne in form (scoring wise) maybe we could push it but our pressure is down all over the ground and we're missing key people so maybe a more traditional two tall options is the way to go even if it's Ballantyne and our midfield who kick us a winning score.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Pav is out this week, could we go a short forward line with only Clarke and Sandi being marking targets.

Assuming Walters is fit, I think I would rather have Walters, Ballas, Mayne, Clarke and maybe even Duffy in the forward line than one of Apeness or Taberner.

The cats have a tall back line and I doubt they could match up well against those players and if we move the ball quickly and spread our players in the forward line I think it would work very well.

The Ins and Outs I am considering are Pavlich (if not 100%), Mzungu, de Boer for Duffy, Walters and Crozier.

I know de Boer is unlikely to be dropped, but I would rather have Duffy in the forward line than him.
Walters isn't coming in.

I'd have Duffy and Tabs in.

I reckon Duffy is probably the only other genuine small medium forward on our list. That being said, I don't know if he's played enough games to get a call up but I really liked what I saw on the weekend. His field kicking was very creative and he hardly missed.

I often wonder how a strategy of having a small forward line and kicking a "chaos ball" or kicking to space would work. Drop punts would not be allowed unless in transaction and forwards are running back into space. Could be the week to try this revolutionary tactic however would probably work better on the MCG. Imagine a forward line of Ballantyne, Walters, Crozier, Hill, Mayne and De Boer/Duffy.

Although the opposition could just drop numbers back and rebound. But maybe that will allow us to harrass, chase and lock the ball in more effectively due to more congestion and more loose numbers for "the wall".

Good thing I'm not a coach.

I'd have Duffy and Tabs in.

I reckon Duffy is probably the only other genuine small medium forward on our list. That being said, I don't know if he's played enough games to get a call up but I really liked what I saw on the weekend. His field kicking was very creative and he hardly missed.
Haven't seen Duffy but i like the way you're thinking (though i would prefer Apes over tabs). I want to see goal hungry forwards in our forward line to support Ballas and get the runs on the board. Not just defensive forwards to keep the ball forward because we missed. Prefer we actually kicked a goal and the ump runs the ball back to the centre.

I also want pearced and friends to lower their eyes when kicking forward. Or is that too much to ask?

Blame the player for not having enough games under his belt. We have had a run of easier games this year and havent looked to the future, yes Tabs, Apeness, have had
token games, but Tabs needs time in the middle, Pearce is another who needs fast tracking
Unless we can pull a rabbit out of the hat, these three talls are going to be part of our spine, and holding down key positions sooner than some posters think.
Tabs is a running, leading machine, Apeness is the aggressive beast, I dont think he has the mongrel in him, but I dont think Pavlich does either.
He just needs to do what Mayne does, and if he doesnt mark it, give that second effort.
Don't agree, especially the bit about Pearce. Hes had injuries and hes a key defender who'd get out-muslced with ridiculous ease at AFL level. Give him at least another year in the gym and WAFL.

I often wonder how a strategy of having a small forward line and kicking a "chaos ball" or kicking to space would work. Drop punts would not be allowed unless in transaction and forwards are running back into space. Could be the week to try this revolutionary tactic however would probably work better on the MCG. Imagine a forward line of Ballantyne, Walters, Crozier, Hill, Mayne and De Boer/Duffy.

Although the opposition could just drop numbers back and rebound. But maybe that will allow us to harrass, chase and lock the ball in more effectively due to more congestion and more loose numbers for "the wall".

Good thing I'm not a coach.
Geelong used to do that all the time when kicking into the wind at KP.

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Round 20 Changes vs. Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Back