Votes: 34 19.3%
  • Hawks by 25+

Votes: 74 42.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think he's been a bit up and down recently. But he strikes me as a big game/big moment player. Doubt he'd be overawed by playing in front of 65,000-odd, like some other players of his vintage might be susceptible to.

At the risk of making a catastrophic prediction, I think Lang is going to be become a very, very good player for us. Still developing, and still needs improvement. But every now and again he does something that shows incredible poise and talent.

At the risk of making a catastrophic prediction, I think Lang is going to be become a very, very good player for us. Still developing, and still needs improvement. But every now and again he does something that shows incredible poise and talent.

He's certainly got the skill and he has pace. But he's more than just a finesse player: he's hard at it and his pressure and tackling is excellent. And what that suggests to me is that he can make an impact, even under maximum pressure.

Big game, I know most of us are thinking we will likely lose this but win our last three and in so doing get 8th spot over Adelaide but if they beat the Eagles (as good as our win last night was McGovern getting injured is bad for us as he would have played on Taylor Walker) we may have to win all four to make it. It will be interesting to see how MC play this tactically as if we really attack I think we could expose their defence and win, but if we do that and turn it over like last night we will lose by 80 and losing that much % could kill our finals chances. It will be interesting to see therefore if we play quite defensively and try and not risk losing by a large margin or how much we attack.

Need to bring the pressure we brought in the 2nd half as if they have time and space they will destroy by foot. If we can do that and move the ball quickly through the middle I feel Lake and Frawley are rocks or diamonds players who can have great games or very terrible games, and the rest of their defenders mainly Gibson and Duryea and Suckling and Stratton are weak in 1-1 marking contests if we can isolate them. In the past we have been able to do this as we have good KPF's and also Murdoch, Duncan, Bartel, Caddy etc are very good marks above their heads. But playing this way is risky if we turn it over.

Player wise Cockatoo isn't ready for a game like this, HS is a terrible sub as he is a grinding player not an impact one who picks up the game quickly, he needs to be in the 21 or go out. I would keep him in and either he or Guthrie has to tag Mitchell. SJ will come back in and I suspect Stokes will go out for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivers come back in as he plays very well against Hawthorn but Kolo won't go out after a great display last night so we would have to go tall, or one of the defenders would have to go forward. Walker was quiet but there is no point talking about dropping him until Clark is fit as there is no one else who can play 2nd ruck. It will be interesting to see if they resist the tempation to bring Menzel back in, we could definitely use him for a game like this but I think they will give him more time in the vfl. If he doesnt come in Kersten probably will and vice versa. The one thing that may save Stokes is he is a good sub choice as he picks up the pace of the game quickly.

My guess:

In: SJ, Kersten
Out: Stokes (omit), Cockatoo (omit)

Emg: Rivers Stokes Menzel

Serious question, why does Kersten come straight back in?
Hey I'm not even remotely a kersten fan. Think he is a dud. Just think they will bring him in given Hawkins will get triple teamed whenever Walker is in the ruck. We need an extra tall desperately on the forward line and until Clark or Vardy are ready he is all we have.

I just hope that we go into this game with the same desperation as we probably would have if we'd lost last night. I get the feeling that our supporters are probably looking at one out of two from last night and next Saturday as a good result (with some justification) and hopefully our players aren't thinking the same way. How sweet would it be to take another huge step towards finals action, while at the same time going very close to booking our most hated opponent's plane tickets for week one of the finals?

Bews, Johnson, Rivers and Smedts in particular should come under serious consideration to come in.

You had me up until Smedts...

If I see Billy Smedts' name on any seniors team sheet for the rest of the year I'm going to scream.

Same goes for M Stokes, he's done and dusted.

Am another who's been really impressed with Lang's season to date, and doubt he'll be dropped this week.

I kept a close eye on him last night, and both his poise, and pressure on the opposition were very nice indeed. Remember reading a pre-season article where Lang said he'd been working on his forward pressure and defensive work inside 50-well it's paying off nicely. :thumbsu:

And congratulations to the mercurial SJ (who I'm in awe of then totally frustrated by numerous times each game!) who will no doubt be selected for his milestone 250th game.

You aren't one prone to the big call - but I fully agree with this. He is silky class and diamond hard. :thumbsu:

I watched the replay again and keep thinking he is doing the Smithy legacy an absolute honour in the #11. He is a great mix of Smithy and Kelly IMO and and the best part is he kicks goals better than both of them ever did.

GO Catters

Big game, I know most of us are thinking we will likely lose this but win our last three and in so doing get 8th spot over Adelaide but if they beat the Eagles (as good as our win last night was McGovern getting injured is bad for us as he would have played on Taylor Walker) we may have to win all four to make it. It will be interesting to see how MC play this tactically as if we really attack I think we could expose their defence and win, but if we do that and turn it over like last night we will lose by 80 and losing that much % could kill our finals chances. It will be interesting to see therefore if we play quite defensively and try and not risk losing by a large margin or how much we attack.

Need to bring the pressure we brought in the 2nd half as if they have time and space they will destroy by foot. If we can do that and move the ball quickly through the middle I feel Lake and Frawley are rocks or diamonds players who can have great games or very terrible games, and the rest of their defenders mainly Gibson and Duryea and Suckling and Stratton are weak in 1-1 marking contests if we can isolate them. In the past we have been able to do this as we have good KPF's and also Murdoch, Duncan, Bartel, Caddy etc are very good marks above their heads. But playing this way is risky if we turn it over.

Player wise Cockatoo isn't ready for a game like this, HS is a terrible sub as he is a grinding player not an impact one who picks up the game quickly, he needs to be in the 21 or go out. I would keep him in and either he or Guthrie has to tag Mitchell. SJ will come back in and I suspect Stokes will go out for him. I wouldn't be surprised to see Rivers come back in as he plays very well against Hawthorn but Kolo won't go out after a great display last night so we would have to go tall, or one of the defenders would have to go forward. Walker was quiet but there is no point talking about dropping him until Clark is fit as there is no one else who can play 2nd ruck. It will be interesting to see if they resist the tempation to bring Menzel back in, we could definitely use him for a game like this but I think they will give him more time in the vfl. If he doesnt come in Kersten probably will and vice versa. The one thing that may save Stokes is he is a good sub choice as he picks up the pace of the game quickly.

My guess:

Yup. A few have said SJ for NC5. That is more of a statement on how far back NC5 is at the moment ( 1st year player learning so not having a crack) than how good SJ is going. If good SJ turns up - it can be a great thing.

Go Catters

You had me up until Smedts...

If I see Billy Smedts' name on any seniors team sheet for the rest of the year I'm going to scream.

Same goes for M Stokes, he's done and dusted.

Good for you. I think Smedts was pretty unlucky to lose his spot in the first place and I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the frame again, if he played a blinder today.

While he certainly didn't help his 2016 prospects, Stokes did kick a crucial goal and was far better than Cockatoo, for a start. I'd be a lot more confident heading into Saturday with Stokes in the lineup (probably as the sub), rather than Cockatoo.

Anyway, what exactly is wrong with keeping the team as it was last night?

The fact that Hawthorn actually has a forward line.

I think we underrate how our leg speed help us beat Sydney last night. In the second half they were run down a fair bit or had to play slow which helped us keep their score down.

Fine to add SJ as he can still add something to the team next week but do not throw away our leg speed. Keep Gregson in.

I think that GHS deserved his recall but he is slow - but as long as he is a ball magnet - fine.

I would be looking at Gore to replace either Stokes or Cocky - just to see how he looks. Maybe the following week would be better for his inclusion.

What we really need is Clark in the ruck and if he could come back and get some form in the VFL soon he may help us win a final.

Might also be the time to give Lang the sub vest so he freshens up before the finals.

What has happened to Bews ? Good that he got a rest but I see him as part of the team going forward.

If we could uncover a inside mid before the end of the season - GHS or Gore and get back a ruckman in Clark - we could be a hard team to beat.

I think Cocky will be a player next season and it is good to see him get a run here and there but in a big game like this we will probably be better served by others.

So it may well be SJ in and Cocky out for the Hawks game.

Agree - noticed last night and again on the replay that we looked quicker then we ever have this season..and the Swans aren't slow. Will be interesting next week - the last win of our streak against the Hawks in 2013, we were too quick across the ground for them. Really important our midfield at least breaks even. Also think Kolo's form will be a bonus as we try to match-up their forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can't see us winning this one, as much as I want to.

The Hawks have more depth and experience across the ground than us, have far better skill with the ball by hand and foot, and will lift because A) it's Geelong, and B) they won't be happy about the last couple of weeks.

A heavy game might bring them back to us a bit, and I'm really hoping we play a fast game to take advantage of that.

Just don't want a blow out.

You aren't one prone to the big call - but I fully agree with this. He is silky class and diamond hard. :thumbsu:

I watched the replay again and keep thinking he is doing the Smithy legacy an absolute honour in the #11. He is a great mix of Smithy and Kelly IMO and and the best part is he kicks goals better than both of them ever did.

He's looking good for sure. I'm not going any further though, can't really be bothered trying to defend that position in 3 years' time.

Good for you. I think Smedts was pretty unlucky to lose his spot in the first place and I see no reason why he shouldn't be in the frame again, if he played a blinder today.

While he certainly didn't help his 2016 prospects, Stokes did kick a crucial goal and was far better than Cockatoo, for a start. I'd be a lot more confident heading into Saturday with Stokes in the lineup (probably as the sub), rather than Cockatoo.

Ok so you'd want Rivers in then yeah?

I'm confused as to why you'd want Smedts though, seeing as he has failed epically in any type of defender role, as he's clearly not a defender and to combat Hawthorn's forward line we need a trusty DEFENDER.

So why on earth would you want him in the team??

He's looking good for sure. I'm not going any further though, can't really be bothered trying to defend that position in 3 years' time.
Like that would ever happen here……:cool:

Go Catters

Ok so you'd want Rivers in then yeah?

I'm confused as to why you'd want Smedts though, seeing as he has failed epically in any type of defender role, as he's clearly not a defender and to combat Hawthorn's forward line we need a trusty DEFENDER.

So why on earth would you want him in the team??

No, I suggested that those players should come under consideration to come into the team. Competition for spots is healthy, even if the team won the previous weekend.

My guess:

H-S on Mitchell would be an option, both slow as a wet week.

There is no better time to be playing them, we've hit season best form and they're coming off a hard slog in WA.
Very true 10lana, it seems we're peaking at the right time, especially after some horror injuries, no ruck, some out of form players etc. Am still delightfully surprised at last night's win. Will Poos+Wees long flight affect them? Can we avoid a Selwood's 200th game hangover? Will the Boyz play their hearts out, as they did last night, for SJ? IF we could snaffle a win, I'd be very pleased with the season. Kittens have made best 22, our mid-tier players are stepping up, the vets are cruising along well, our defence is tight, Tomahawk is in form + we have a phenomenal Captain Courageous!

costanza23 made a great suggestion in the VFL thread today - what about trying Rivers at CHF? He played there while at Melbourne + could add another dimension to the game! Could solve the 2/3:1 tagging on Tomahawk + another strong marker in our forward line would be welcome. Add SJ to our forward line as a goal sneak, Lang is going from strength to strength, Menzel next year as a mid-forward - the future is looking bright.

ins SJ, Kersten/Smedts (probably Kersten)
outs Stokes(he is done), Cocky

don't give us much chance

Stokes was not far better than Cockatoo. stokes played a full game for 14 touches and Cockatoo 3 qtrs for 10. Basically the same amount of the pill. cockatoo looked a little lost in defence in the first half but so would stokes if they played him there. Cockatoo had a couple of great plays using his pace last night. Some good defensive work on the forward line and one great run off half back. Stokes on the other hand looked slow and got burned a couple of times by swans players running off him forward. Would rather take Cockatoo then Stokes as a forward after last nights performance. He offers more defensive pressure in the forward half and can break the lines.

Smedts VFL stats (from the VFL thread) were 22 disposals, 9 contested, 5 marks & 4 tackles; some nice numbers and surely will come into contention again.

This might be a crazy suggestion, but would it be the worse option to bring in Smedts to play in the forward line in place of Kersten? According to the footy record there is only 1cm difference between them, but Kersten does have some more muscle on him - but would it work with Smedts playing as something of a defensive forward; have him lead to the ball to create space for Hawkins (something Kersten seems to struggle with as he doesn't seem to be leading to the ball a lot lately, rather just guarding space), and then work to lock the ball in the 50 if it hits the ground.

I think there are areas of his game that Kersten needs to work on, and maybe VFL would be a better option for that rather than almost being selected by default - he has 9 goals in 11 games this season, goalless in 5 games including his last three, yes 3 goal assists against the Lions last week, but only 1 other goal assist in his goalless games, leaving 3 games where his score contribution is 3 behinds. Comparing his season with Smedts, I don't know we actually lose much with Smedts playing forward; Smedts is averaging more disposals, higher disposal efficiency, more marks and more tackles, only let down by not hitting the scoreboard this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back