Preview Round 20: Geelong vs Fremantle, “The Clarke/Drum Cup” - Saturday 29 July, 1:45pm @ HOME

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to play our best 30 players in whatever position best suits the team.
This week, Stewart may be a mid, which allows Sav to play back, or wherever.

I don't believe Sav to be in our best 22, and for mine, he only gets a game if we suffer an injury across our backline.

Neale gets any gig that comes up in the forward line.

We‘d be better suited playing Knevitt in the midfield with Stewart playing his usual role down back - our backline is starting to look solid & build cohesion, rather we didn’t unnecessarily mess with it
When Stewart played as a mid, we got going...
Knevitt is not up to the pressure of being an inside mid.

So you suggest his future with us is zilch?

The discussion is about potential tall forward replacements should Cameron be unavailable - surely the best tall forward replacement is the guy that’s actually been playing as a KPF for us in the VFL for the last 12 months

We’ve seen what Ratugolea has to offer as a tall forward and not sure it would overally concern too many opposition coaches, and if Neale is seen as a future KPF in the seniors, I’d rather be taking the available opportunities to get games into him in that role

When Stewart played as a mid, we got going...
Knevitt is not up to the pressure of being an inside mid.

Not really - he went into the middle in the 3rd quarter & we still looked like shit in the middle for the most part. It was only the last quarter we started to see something from our midfield. Plus, Stewart wasn’t playing as a full-time mid

He would attend centre bounces before returning to defence to play as the spare back there - so if he’s going to be playing as a spare down back in an intercepting role, exactly what role would Ratugolea be playing or is he going to swap with Stewart after the ball’s cleared from the middle?

The discussion is about potential tall forward replacements should Cameron be unavailable - surely the best tall forward replacement is the guy that’s actually been playing as a KPF for us in the VFL for the last 12 months

We’ve seen what Ratugolea has to offer as a tall forward and not sure it would overally concern too many opposition coaches, and if Neale is seen as a future KPF in the seniors, I’d rather be taking the available opportunities to get games into him in that role
The discussion is ALSO about using our best players on our list, those who have actually received multiple coaches votes this year, eg Sav. If you suggest he is not getting a gig this week when there are holes in our team, and if you suggest our other players will not be swapped around, what do yoiu suggest is Sav's future at Geelong?

Not really - he went into the middle in the 3rd quarter & we still looked like s**t in the middle for the most part. It was only the last quarter we started to see something from our midfield. Plus, Stewart wasn’t playing as a full-time mid

He would attend centre bounces before returning to defence to play as the spare back there - so if he’s going to be playing as a spare down back in an intercepting role, exactly what role would Ratugolea be playing or is he going to swap with Stewart after the ball’s cleared from the middle?
Different opponent. Stewart could still be a vital mid, CS said as much last pm.

The discussion is ALSO about using our best players on our list, those who have actually received multiple coaches votes this year, eg Sav. If you suggest he is not getting a gig this week when there are holes in our team, and if you suggest our other players will not be swapped around, what do yoiu suggest is Sav's future at Geelong?

I'd suggest that Sav's future doesn't involve Geelong.

I'd suggest that Sav's future doesn't involve Geelong.
Of course, hence your willingness to not include him in our team again, which may well be the MC's agenda also.
If what I hear from CS is true, that he rates Sav, and thinks he is in our best 22, there will be a way for him to play.
If you think Neale is a better KF prospect than Sav is as a KB, we shall see.
I don't like my chances of seeing him (Sav) get a game, but that to me is VERY disappointing.

F ck that
It's an absolute loser mentality after a more than competitive two months. A slight failure at the Gabba - where the rest of the comp on average have had a massive failure - doesn't change much.

Five big games remain and probably more. Anyone not interested should stick to watching the VFL side.

We are here to win a premiership in 2023. If Cameron or Hawkins go down, we could play Jack Henry there, but that would weaken our already fragile defence.

Who is the best big forward to replace one or other? It is not Neale who has hardly played, and is not dominating the VFL.

The obvious choice is sav. Putting Jack Henry forward and having sav in defence upsets the structure that won a premiership last year.

Sav has got a lot more confidence having played in defence, he is a big unit that will take the biggest opposition defender, he is a big target and mobile, and could do a job.

Who has the best track record in the AFL, sav, or Neale? Who would you rather have lining up in a final?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Of course, hence your willingness to not include him in our team again, which may well be the MC's agenda also.
If what I hear from CS is true, that he rates Sav, and thinks he is in our best 22, there will be a way for him to play.
If you think Neale is a better KF prospect than Sav is as a KB, we shall see.
I don't like my chances of seeing him (Sav) get a game, but that to me is VERY disappointing.

Tbh, as of right NOW it is probably debatable as to who's the better forward, but Neale is the future (unless he proves otherwise) and Sav is all but gone.

For me, Sav has conclusively shown he isn't a forward, whilst I remain far from convinced about his merits as a defender.

I know Scott rates him, but I think that dialogue is now as much about heightening his perceived trade value as it is personal opinion.

Well if that is the case - and given that C Guthrie is the only player unavailable compared to the multiple outs at Frem - then if Geel are genuine they win by 10-12 goals - end of story

Chris Scott of course is timing his run to perfection so we peak at the right time - but we aernt in the Sydney to Hobart Boxing Day Yacht Race
Fyfe isn't any good anymore, so it's just Darcy and Cox for them. Jezza is playing with one shoulder for us.

We'll probably win comfortably but 15 goals Vs say 8 goals isn't that relevant. What comes the weeks after is.

If the holes in the team are in the midfield then we select a midfielder - Knevitt was showing positive signs during his senior matches earlier this year & has barely put a foot wrong since returning to the VFL. Give the kid a shot

If the holes are up forward then we select a forward, though it’s most likely that Rohan will return and we’ve already seen the MC happy to play with a forward line of Hawkins, O. Henry & Rohan with the likes of Close, Stengle & Miers at the feet

If we’re down a KPD then yes Ratugolea will come into discussions, but if all of J. Henry, SDK & Kolodjashnij are available then I don’t see a spot for Ratugolea in the team

As for Ratugolea’s future, I would be more surprised to see him still in the Hoops next year compared with in other colours - if Port are seriously considering a 7-year deal he would be crazy to not take it.

Being totally honest here, during a drinks catch-up prior to our clash with Richmond earlier this season (the week after the Adelaide match) we were discussing Ratugolea & how we had seen his season to date - he had just received 10 coaches votes but I said I’d open to trading him with the main reason being the basics just aren’t there and I couldn’t see a spot for him in the seniors with our other KPD options all available. Yes he’s added to his highlight reel this season with his intercept marking, but he struggles with things like basic defensive structures especially at defensive stoppages, understanding when to switch etc, and can see there’s a lot of on-field coaching from guys like Stewart. Ratugolea needs time to learn the defensive aspects of the game and there’s no reason that shouldn’t be in the VFL, and if we’re down a KPD then look to him, but otherwise I don’t see a spot for him in the team that doesn’t involve shifting multiple other pieces and players out of position

A 10 goal win is definitely the most likely outcome on Saturday.

As is, a first round exit in finals. But what has given you any indication over the last 20 years of following this club, that we will throw in the towel while the season still has a pulse?
We would be favourites week 1 of finals and only slight underdogs in week 2 if it's Melbourne or Brisbane. But I agree with your stance.

Why is everyone throwing out every conceivable option for covering Cameron other than Rohan?

Even if Rohan isn't available, play an extra mid instead. I'd rather be kicking it more often to Ollie Henry + Hawkins than less often to Ollie Henry + Hawkins + insert perceived saviour here.

That said Neale might be worth a shot

We are here to win a premiership in 2023. If Cameron or Hawkins go down, we could play Jack Henry there, but that would weaken our already fragile defence.

Who is the best big forward to replace one or other? It is not Neale who has hardly played, and is not dominating the VFL.

The obvious choice is sav. Putting Jack Henry forward and having sav in defence upsets the structure that won a premiership last year.

Sav has got a lot more confidence having played in defence, he is a big unit that will take the biggest opposition defender, he is a big target and mobile, and could do a job.

Who has the best track record in the AFL, sav, or Neale? Who would you rather have lining up in a final?

We’ve already seen our structure without Cameron, without Hawkins is a different prospect and that may open up a spot for Conway or Ceglar

Without Hawkins we could also look at the option of playing Stanley permanent foward and bring in another ruck to take over that role - Stanley does have a career high of 5 goals, so maybe he can turn back time to that

But if that wasn’t an option, I’d genuinely back in Neale to play forward in a final ahead of Ratugolea - go with the guy we’ve backed in to play that role in the VFL & who has the continuity under their belt playing forward.

I thought he was coming in as Ruck to give Stanley a rest?

Oscar R is going to debut at FF

Dempsey seems to play with a bit of flair & confidence at VFL level, so I bet if you told him on Thursday afternoon that he’d be playing seniors on the weekend & his role would be in the ruck, that he would relish the opportunity to show what he could do

I wouldn't mind seeing Oscar Murdoch debut at hff

For future reference: this is a joke
I know a joke…(and funny!)…but I really like Murdoch. Not flashy but really hard at it. I expect he will get another year at rookie given he looks like he has great attitude. Not sure if he has the talent but if he does he will get the best out of it. We have missed him in VFL last couple of weeks

Why is everyone throwing out every conceivable option for covering Cameron other than Rohan?

Even if Rohan isn't available, play an extra mid instead. I'd rather be kicking it more often to Ollie Henry + Hawkins than less often to Ollie Henry + Hawkins + insert perceived saviour here.

That said Neale might be worth a shot
I think Rohan is a certainty to return and agree that if Cameron out I think they “make do” with Rohan, Henry and Hawkins - and allows them to give Gola a crack or Knevitt. Get another look at midfielder.

Neale was good last week so not out of the question.

Btw I reckon they will stick with Cameron to see if he can come good. If he hasn’t by the St Kilda game then give him a rest…

We’ve already seen our structure without Cameron, without Hawkins is a different prospect and that may open up a spot for Conway or Ceglar

Without Hawkins we could also look at the option of playing Stanley permanent foward and bring in another ruck to take over that role - Stanley does have a career high of 5 goals, so maybe he can turn back time to that

But if that wasn’t an option, I’d genuinely back in Neale to play forward in a final ahead of Ratugolea - go with the guy we’ve backed in to play that role in the VFL & who has the continuity under their belt playing forward.
You seriously think that Neale is a better forward choice in a final in 2023 than Sav? What AFL form is that based on? It is a final, not work experience looking towards 2024 and beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back