Preview Round 20: Geelong vs Fremantle, “The Clarke/Drum Cup” - Saturday 29 July, 1:45pm @ HOME

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tbh, as of right NOW it is probably debatable as to who's the better forward, but Neale is the future (unless he proves otherwise) and Sav is all but gone.

For me, Sav has conclusively shown he isn't a forward, whilst I remain far from convinced about his merits as a defender.

I know Scott rates him, but I think that dialogue is now as much about heightening his perceived trade value as it is personal opinion.

Regarding the bolded but without being specific to Ratugolea, it does feel that Scott most often does talk in an extremely positive manner about the players, and especially when it’s about those on the fringes - obviously it’s good for players to have the backing of their coach & for that public positive reinforcement, cause if the time arrives that those on the fringe are called upon you want them to feel part of the team & not just a replacement option

During Scott’s career with us, I reckon it’s only 2011 when I can recall Scott not exactly showing that support for our fringe guys when it became pretty clear that Mark Blake wouldn’t be playing senior football that season especially as he required just a single match to reach 100 for the club

You seriously think that Neale is a better forward choice in a final in 2023 than Sav? What AFL form is that based on? It is a final, not work experience looking towards 2024 and beyond.

Ratugolea has kicked 4 goals from 5 finals with 3 of those goals coming in 1 match - so 3 goalless finals

I don’t see Neale offering us any less (H&A game or final), and my main reason for backing Neale in is that he’s been backed in by the club as our focal point up foward in the VFL since the middle of last season

If the club thought that Ratugolea may be needed as a forward, especially come finals then I’d want to see him starting to play that role in the VFL to see he has more to offer in that role than prior to his shift to defence last year - having seen Ratugolea play 50 odd seniors games as a forward, I‘m happy to back in Neale as my preferred option

I know a joke…(and funny!)…but I really like Murdoch. Not flashy but really hard at it. I expect he will get another year at rookie given he looks like he has great attitude. Not sure if he has the talent but if he does he will get the best out of it. We have missed him in VFL last couple of weeks
Maybe. I'm still surprised we dropped Nick Stevens so quick

Fyfe isn't any good anymore, so it's just Darcy and Cox for them. Jezza is playing with one shoulder for us.

We'll probably win comfortably but 15 goals Vs say 8 goals isn't that relevant. What comes the weeks after is.

Look this week re Geel - id even take a Rich miracle type win over Haw -

They just have to get the 4 pts thats it

Channel 7 said Jeremy Cameron was walking laps at training due to a hit to the knee during the lions game..

If his not right, I wonder if they give Shannon Neale a game.. his played approx 4 games in a row now, and the club was going to play him early this season until he got injured...

Honestly I'd like to see Neale get a game

Too late in the year now for that i think.

He had not previously showed he was a defender either, but look at this year. With his marking and confidence levels raised, I'm sure he could worry a few opposition defenders playing as a KF.

Savs goal kicking rules out playing fwd.

He had not previously showed he was a defender either, but look at this year. With his marking and confidence levels raised, I'm sure he could worry a few opposition defenders playing as a KF.
Problem for Sav is that he will always be a poor kick. Down back he can at least bail out and kick long down the line.

The discussion is about potential tall forward replacements should Cameron be unavailable - surely the best tall forward replacement is the guy that’s actually been playing as a KPF for us in the VFL for the last 12 months

We’ve seen what Ratugolea has to offer as a tall forward and not sure it would overally concern too many opposition coaches, and if Neale is seen as a future KPF in the seniors, I’d rather be taking the available opportunities to get games into him in that role
Problem is that Shannon got injured, had an operation and has missed most of the season. He does not appear to have the tank for the VFL so it would be cruel at the moment to expose him to AFL

Look this week re Geel - id even take a Rich miracle type win over Haw -

They just have to get the 4 pts thats it
Exactly.

It'd be nice for our midfield to have a strong showing as Freo aren't terrible in that regard. But otherwise, no injuries and moving on with 4 points is all we need from this.

Cats to the Future i can only agree with you - Nick Stevens had serious potential. I like Murdoch too - he could be another Nick Newman.

Oh well, we must bow to the superior knowledge of the list managers I suppose.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know there's very little chance of another flag this year, but I still really hope we pump Fremantle this weekend. We've been on the end of some really frustrating losses to them over the years, so I hope they get a good old taste of freezing cold Geelong brutality this weekend.

Never liked them after the Solomon elbow. Regardless, any win this week is acceptable in my eyes.

Problem for Sav is that he will always be a poor kick. Down back he can at least bail out and kick long down the line.

The funny thing is ... what is harder. A kick where you have a chance to set up... 30 seconds where you have a chance to prepare and repeat...or under pressure with players ready to pounce on you .. alot of kicks that may be in play. Id say the only role that may get away with being a poorish kick now is ruck...perhaps an inside mid. In the backline he can just go back and kick it with out the assessment of the goal posts ..but those short klcks to team mates look like an impending calamity

Anyone else feel that rohan is a huge important player for us?? The way we are trying to play he is integral.
Nope. One of the last 7 picked. Does he improve us? Yes as all top 22 players do.

his main benefit is contesting the marking contests up foward. And the one run down tackle he gets every third week.

Seeds I think you undervalue Rohan a tad: he kicked vital goals for us in the finals last year. Anyway Lloyd says he's ready to go, so he'll very likely be playing.

Rohan is an elite set shot in stark contrast to Esava.

As for Neale I'd play him before Esava; we know what Sav can do but we're still learning about Neale.

Anyone else feel that rohan is a huge important player for us?? The way we are trying to play he is integral.

How could any one doubt that after the PF last year ,. No Cameron or Rohan ..we lose. Do we have anyone else that could have taken that mark and kick the goal?

Exactly.

It'd be nice for our midfield to have a strong showing as Freo aren't terrible in that regard. But otherwise, no injuries and moving on with 4 points is all we need from this.
OMeara , Brayshaw and Serong embarrassed us last time and their small forwards did likewise.
We need to remedy that this time around...................

At least one poster above on this same page has. The majority seem to agree thought.
As recently as last year (with the 2021 PF fresh in everyone's mind) I remember basically being laughed off stage by many on here for suggesting that Rohan was crucial to our forward line and that his poor finals record was overstated.

One 2022 QF later, and it's like no-one could ever have doubted it. Lol

Sounds like umpires have been coached and sensitised to push in the back for this week.. Might be the week to play infront. Guys like Stewart and Hawk best be careful to only hold their ground and not extend past their envelope with a pushing motion.
As long as it goes both ways both ends of thr ground... Not just “lets get hawkins”.

As recently as last year (with the 2021 PF fresh in everyone's mind) I remember basically being laughed off stage by many on here for suggesting that Rohan was crucial to our forward line and that his poor finals record was overstated.

One 2022 QF later, and it's like no-one could ever have doubted it. Lol
People get way way too exaggerated about good or poor finals performances... Finals are such a small sample and relies on things going right for some individuals to perform... Especially forwards.. Much like home and away games with players having poor or good HA games.

He is a low possession high impact penetrating player.. Which ironically is getting more and more suited to modern footy which is about quickly breaking the lines from HB to FF with as little possesions as possible.

His defensive pressure chasing also mucks up opposition kicks out of our forward half even if he doesnt get the tackle laid.

As long as it goes both ways both ends of thr ground... Not just “lets get hawkins”.

I have watched multiple players including the two Tom's push players out . For a while you had to hold out with a forearm or shoulder. Its all about the drop of the ball. A player should not be disadvanatged by taking the front position. Generally you can tell if a player pushes another or if the player in front suddenly develop George Reeves tendencies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back