VFL Round 20 v Sandringham, Sunday August 11th 11:05AM AEST, Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Cumbo, Sonsie, go see the girls in the office, they will sort out your final pay. All the best with your future endeavours.
I seen enough of Sonsie from his first season and everyone raving about him F me Lennon all over. Cumbo I had high hopes but his lost all interest every season goes backwards must be gone!

But key forwards in a Dynasty? Ala Riewoldt, Lynch, Buddy, Roughead.. absolutely not that calibre and they're all 1st rounders most in top 10
And how do you create a dynasty? It's getting the balance right. We had great players around the club but missing peace's. Even in our 37 years of misery we had great players at the club but the jigsaw puzzle was missing peace's which we failed to find. You don't need top 10 pics to be a success. We would not have had our latest dynasty if Rance Grimes Dusty Jack Cotch were still on there own The likes of Prestia Caddy Nank And rioli and later Lynch finished the puzzle. This time around much much more difficult and people thinking we will quickly going to bounce back are in for a shock.

And how do you create a dynasty? It's getting the balance right. We had great players around the club but missing peace's. Even in our 37 years of misery we had great players at the club but the jigsaw puzzle was missing peace's which we failed to find. You don't need top 10 pics to be a success. We would not have had our latest dynasty if Rance Grimes Dusty Jack Cotch were still on there own The likes of Prestia Caddy Nank And rioli and later Lynch finished the puzzle. This time around much much more difficult and people thinking we will quickly going to bounce back are in for a shock.
Agree you need a balanced list of gun A graders, defensive minded players and role players but ultimately you need the spine to be top draw.

If you think what both hawks and tigers had (last 2 dynasty's) the spine set them apart.

Both had genuine A grade talent and depth/role players on all lines:
  • in midfield (Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Ellis / Dusty, Cotch, Prestia, Edwards)
  • in forwards (Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Brown / Riewoldt, Lynch, Castagna, Caddy)
  • in backline (Croad, Lake, Birchall, Hodge / Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Vlaustin).

I hope Fawcett and co become players but don't think they're going to be the genuine quality / A graders we need and for given you can only really play 2 maybe 3 KPF in a side, you need them to be top shelf surrounded by the role type / defensive players

Agree you need a balanced list of gun A graders, defensive minded players and role players but ultimately you need the spine to be top draw.

If you think what both hawks and tigers had (last 2 dynasty's) the spine set them apart.

Both had genuine A grade talent and depth/role players on all lines:
  • in midfield (Mitchell, Lewis, Sewell, Ellis / Dusty, Cotch, Prestia, Edwards)
  • in forwards (Franklin, Roughead, Rioli, Brown / Riewoldt, Lynch, Castagna, Caddy)
  • in backline (Croad, Lake, Birchall, Hodge / Grimes, Rance, Astbury, Vlaustin).

I hope Fawcett and co become players but don't think they're going to be the genuine quality / A graders we need and for given you can only really play 2 maybe 3 KPF in a side, you need them to be top shelf surrounded by the role type / defensive players

Fawcett is an interesting one. When you consider last week was his first footy match all season, although he was generally quiet, he showed about 3 flashes of brilliance. It was enough to make you want to see a bit more before setting his ceiling too low.

Fawcett is an interesting one. When you consider last week was his first footy match all season, although he was generally quiet, he showed about 3 flashes of brilliance. It was enough to make you want to see a bit more before setting his ceiling too low.
He only played 24 minutes on the ground, first half no time on the ground and then last 2 quarters only 12 minutes a quarter.

But key forwards in a Dynasty? Ala Riewoldt, Lynch, Buddy, Roughead.. absolutely not that calibre and they're all 1st rounders most in top 10
Dynasty is a ridiculous word to use right now but look at the key forwards on leading teams right now and reload
Haw are team to beat and have chol and dear a 5 gamer , have I mentioned last years premiers with frampton at ff
Footy ain’t like it used to be

Looked aggressive which is what you want from your key forward. If they look a bit hesitant/soft I reckon you can rule a line through them pretty quickly from being a premiership key forward.

Looked aggressive which is what you want from your key forward. If they look a bit hesitant/soft I reckon you can rule a line through them pretty quickly from being a premiership key forward.
Agreed, I dont remember reading his draft profile as being aggressive, in fact, I thought he was considered a bit "nice"

One passage on the weekend near the boundary, he looked for bodies and also gave a dont argue. Man if could he become a player that would be amazing. Look at Dear at the Hawks, no reason he couldnt play to that level next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agreed, I dont remember reading his draft profile as being aggressive, in fact, I thought he was considered a bit "nice"

One passage on the weekend near the boundary, he looked for bodies and also gave a dont argue. Man if could he become a player that would be amazing. Look at Dear at the Hawks, no reason he couldnt play to that level next year.
kid really is a mystery box for next year
goes into the 25' pre season like his first year at the club
we keep the pressure off and just let him develop and grow in the VFL
was just good to see him out on the field

bit of the Lynch thing - he always struck me as a pretty boy
but he has got a inner mongrel and fire in the belly, love that he will throw down and clip anyone who steeps to him

So true. Intensity is one of the most important qualities to have for a key forward.

If they lack in this area you notice it immediately, like we do with Samson (yes I know hes not a KPF).

Limited sample size so obviously can't get our hopes up just yet, but it is encouraging to see this sort of thing from a first game player.

kid really is a mystery box for next year
goes into the 25' pre season like his first year at the club
we keep the pressure off and just let him develop and grow in the VFL
was just good to see him out on the field
Yeah year 1 in 2025 with a year of professional physical development, could be a real surprise if we are lucky.

Definitely not trying to set his ceiling too low, would love for him to become a 200+ gamer for us!

What I would expect from the club is that they don't view the young key forwards on our list as the solve for the future and look to invest some early picks into this area to create completion and also balance out the spread of picks we've used to address this area (nothing too 30 yet).

If none succeed so be it but at least we can't say we didn't address it

Our current predicament in the VFL:
  • If we beat Carlton (currently 19th) we make wildcard round and play again next week for a spot in the finals
  • If we lose and either Sandy or Sydney win we're out

Because our seniors are playing next week, our entire squad is eligible to play wildcard round, but if we make finals the week after, only the following players are able to play:
  • M.Rioli
  • Coulthard
  • McAuliffe
  • Ryan
  • Trezise
  • Cumberland
  • Bauer
  • Hayes-Brown
  • Green
  • Smith
  • Blight

Fawcett and Ross have played 1/3 games required to be eligible so far with one game to go if they only count H&A or two if they count wildcard games. We'd probably get an exemption for Fawcett given he's been injured and isn't an AFL regular. Ross I'm not sure about.

Our current predicament in the VFL:
  • If we beat Carlton (currently 19th) we make wildcard round and play again next week for a spot in the finals
  • If we lose and either Sandy or Sydney win we're out

Because our seniors are playing next week, our entire squad is eligible to play wildcard round, but if we make finals the week after, only the following players are able to play:
  • M.Rioli
  • Coulthard
  • McAuliffe
  • Ryan
  • Trezise
  • Cumberland
  • Bauer
  • Hayes-Brown
  • Green
  • Smith
  • Blight

Fawcett and Ross have played 1/3 games required to be eligible so far with one game to go if they only count H&A or two if they count wildcard games. We'd probably get an exemption for Fawcett given he's been injured and isn't an AFL regular. Ross I'm not sure about.

Green won't play due to injury. Gray would also be eligible but also won't play due to injury. It lays bare how acute our injury issues have been that if our VFL team make finals a maximum of about 10 AFL listed players only would be able to take the field. That figure for an AFL club whose seniors are not playing finals would normally be much closer to 20.

How Morris has this team anywhere near finals contention is a total miracle. It is not even certain Maurice Rioli will qualify yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

VFL Round 20 v Sandringham, Sunday August 11th 11:05AM AEST, Swinburne Centre

Remove this Banner Ad

Back