Review Round 20 v West Coast Eagles @ Metricon, Sunday 31/7, 1:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Kennedy and Darling are leading marking forwards.
They are not high marking forwards.
Kennedy has taken 9 contested marks for the whole year.

Playing lumbering Thompson, Graham, Collins all together is suicide IMO.

To beat the eagles you need to block the corridor don't let them have spare men in the middle, make them kick it down the line and wide or invite them to take that risky 45 inside.

We man up man on man so we should be able to cover it.

Eagles giving up plenty of goals to small forwards every week.

Butler 5, Bruest 6 the past 2 weeks.

Rankine got 4 on them round 1.

Should be licking his lips. And we should try get the ball to him on the regular.

Would you rather throw Mac Andrew to the wolves? It's not like we're blessed with numerous options at the moment...

I don't think either of those 3 are particularly lumbering, Thompson still has his speed and the other 2 move alright for big men

Ballard a big out. But still should win the next few. Probably just the geelong one that will be more difficult.

Just focus on the best ever W-L ratio and ladder position to set up for 2023, which the aim should be closing out these close losses to make them wins.

Would you rather throw Mac Andrew to the wolves? It's not like we're blessed with numerous options at the moment...
I’d rather go with 2 talls to play on their 2 talls.

Farrar to play on waterman - both 191cm.

I would bring in Andrew ahead of Thompson if we are going to go with 3 true talls. He’s very thin yes but has been playing better and better each week in VFL recently and actually adds some drive of half back.

Given this is a major area of deficiency I think it’s an important part of the equation.

I’d rather go with 2 talls to play on their 2 talls.

Farrar to play on waterman - both 191cm.

I would bring in Andrew ahead of Thompson if we are going to go with 3 true talls. He’s very thin yes but has been playing better and better each week in VFL recently and actually adds some drive of half back.

Given this is a major area of deficiency I think it’s an important part of the equation.
I would bypass Thompson as well. This little fairytale needs to end. We have to find a way to pension him off and get Jones if the Club doesn't its negligence in the extreme.
Whoever signed Thompson to 4 years on $700G (l'm reliably told) should be out of a job.

I think this is the right way to approach it. We still have another three matches to go after this one so there's ample opportunity to hand Mac a debut but for the time being let's just give ourselves every chance of sneaking into the finals while it's still a possibility, aka play Rory Thompson if Ballard is out.
Agree - play Rory and switch Sam to Ballard's usual role. Rory and (gulp) Caleb can just try and lock down Kennedy and Darling. Lemmens on Liam Ryan might be hard to watch but he's the only one we have left. Will be very close I think as we are now equally understrength and they are getting most of their guns back.

I would bypass Thompson as well. This little fairytale needs to end. We have to find a way to pension him off and get Jones if the Club doesn't its negligence in the extreme.
Whoever signed Thompson to 4 years on $700G (l'm reliably told) should be out of a job.
NOT against giving Mac a go BUT if Rory can't make it back this week - then there really is no spot for him at all in 2023. Clear the decks and recruit a younger equivalent defender - unless he's still on contract and we're stuck. Best gig ever for Rory over the past 4 years.

Good call. We shouldn't give up on Jones even if Dew is saying otherwise. Could be a smoke screen. Down forward I'd put Rosas in in place of McPherson - and have that twin mosquito fleet we had a few weeks back. It also means eyes on both Rankine and Rosas which should free up Rankine a bit more.

Agree - play Rory and switch Sam to Ballard's usual role. Rory and (gulp) Caleb can just try and lock down Kennedy and Darling. Lemmens on Liam Ryan might be hard to watch but he's the only one we have left. Will be very close I think as we are now equally understrength and they are getting most of their guns back.
So what happens when Rory trips over a blade of grass 10 minutes into the first quarter and is subbed out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Kelly completely tagged out of the game by young Windhager yesterday.

Kelly is the kind of guy that could win a game by getting 30 disposals and kicking 2 goals.

Any chance Flanders goes to him?. Pretty sure Flanders has had some defensive responsibility around stoppages recently.
Was on Lachie Neale at stoppages around the ground a bit this week.
The blueprint is right there.

With Ballard confirmed out, I would be bringing Markov back in, especially if Kennedy doesn’t make the trip.

West Coast are one of the slower sides in the comp and we know Touk, Rowell, Anderson, Swallow, Witts will at least break even in the middle, so why not try to get the ball outside and make the most of the advantage.

Well that has to be Craig Cameron doesn’t it? The only thing he has going for him is he isn’t Scott Clayton

Eagles said they are exposing their kids in the middle for the rest of the year. Depends if nic nat is back but Bailey williams and Josh rotham as rucks will be destroyed by witts.

I wouldn't worry bout this game, we should smash em

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 20 v West Coast Eagles @ Metricon, Sunday 31/7, 1:10

Remove this Banner Ad

Back