Preview Round 21, 2017: Hawthorn v North Melbourne, 13 August 2017, 3.20pm @ UTas Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
? You know something we don't?
perhaps if he is still at the club next year would be better, I'm sure he will be contracted I just don't know if he will be a Hawk as the club haven't announced anything

I hope he is but who knows what the off season will bring

What about David Polkinghorne?

Hey, David Poliinghorne was a premiership player!
In fact, 2 premierships.

But he couldn't kick, let alone handball!

And he was a great witness for the prosecution!

he had a period where he was, 5 games in a row he kicked 2 goals prior to hurting his hip

if he gets another contract next year should hopefully be when we really get to see what he can do, he will turn 24 next year and should get to that 50 game mark
I'm not sure we can have two of this kind of player in the forward half, which is the current situation with Shoey and O'Brien. Prefer giving more gametime to O'Brien as he definitely has quality marking talent.
Would like to see Shoey and Whitecross make way for Hodge and Hanrahan this week, if poo is finally ready to get his tiny legs pumping he can come in for Hartung. Strange how many calls there are to promote Lovell after only one game in the VFL over many many months, the legend grows the longer you are out.
JOM(G) and Lovell should focus on bringing home the silverware for BoxHill, set them up nicely for a preseason and some consistent gametime in 2018.

I'm not sure we can have two of this kind of player in the forward half, which is the current situation with Shoey and O'Brien. Prefer giving more gametime to O'Brien as he definitely has quality marking talent.
Would like to see Shoey and Whitecross make way for Hodge and Hanrahan this week, if poo is finally ready to get his tiny legs pumping he can come in for Hartung. Strange how many calls there are to promote Lovell after only one game in the VFL over many many months, the legend grows the longer you are out.
JOM(G) and Lovell should focus on bringing home the silverware for BoxHill, set them up nicely for a preseason and some consistent gametime in 2018.
I wouldn't play Ollie or Chopper
I wouldn't bring Poppy in for Billy either, if he comes in make it for someone else

for North Melbourne i would make a few changes to represent where the future of Hawthorn is going and theres 3 that i have major doubts on their future, so in that case i would make these changes

OUT:
Whitecross (has been in average to poor form the last few weeks)
Langford (has pros and cons, but at this stage his cons are greater)
Hartung (i've lost all hope)

IN:
Puopolo (much needed pressure in forw line)
Heatherley (is a much better player than the 3 being dropped atm)
Hodge (leadership)

if we can kick more than 3 goals for 30 inside 50 entries we might have a chance, our forward line needs to be a tad more dangerous this week...

not sure about Miles, but i think maybe he has earned 1 more game?

Last edited:
He was a backman though.
My recollection if Polks was of a run with player with a very awkward kicking action but mostly effective, I cannot for the life if me ever remember him having a set shot for goal although I'm sure he must have at some stage. I do remember that I was never aloud to give a spray at home games at princess park due to the fact I had reserve seats directly in front of his family, this I found out the Hawthorn way, the hard way.

Last edited:

I agree he's probably not match-fit yet, but I'm really keen to get Lovell back into the team in some capacity. Probably not this week, maybe next week if he plays well in the VFL.

He's going to be one of our next-gen engine room players, so we need to get him game time ASAP.

I still get a little excited thinking about our midfield in a couple of years with all the great prospects we have. And assuming that Howe is going to play as a half-back midfielder a la Hodge.

My recollection if Ploks was of a run with player with a very awkward kicking action but mostly effective, I cannot for the life if me ever remember him having a set shot for goal although I'm sure he must have at some stage. I do remember that I was never aloud to give a spray at home games at princess park due to the fact I had reserve seats directly in front of his family, this I found out the Hawthorn way, the hard way.
That's interesting Bumps, because I remember he had a most akward kicking style, but I cannot remember him missing, or even taking, any set shots. Memory and time could play a big part in that though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree he's probably not match-fit yet, but I'm really keen to get Lovell back into the team in some capacity. Probably not this week, maybe next week if he plays well in the VFL.

He's going to be one of our next-gen engine room players, so we need to get him game time ASAP.

I still get a little excited thinking about our midfield in a couple of years with all the great prospects we have. And assuming that Howe is going to play as a half-back midfielder a la Hodge.
thats the thing Blaze, I'd rather give him a run in the VFL including finals where they can play him in the middle most of the game than 1-2 games in the seniors in a lesser role and then his year over because he doesn't qualify for VFL finals

I know everyone wants to see him play but I think it's better for next year if he doesn't play senior footy this year

we need to be patient

thats the thing Blaze, I'd rather give him a run in the VFL including finals where they can play him in the middle most of the game than 1-2 games in the seniors in a lesser role and then his year over because he doesn't qualify for VFL finals

I know everyone wants to see him play but I think it's better for next year if he doesn't play senior footy this year

we need to be patient
Good point, I agree

My recollection if Polks was of a run with player with a very awkward kicking action but mostly effective, I cannot for the life if me ever remember him having a set shot for goal although I'm sure he must have at some stage. I do remember that I was never aloud to give a spray at home games at princess park due to the fact I had reserve seats directly in front of his family, this I found out the Hawthorn way, the hard way.

Yes, David Polkinghorne was a true Kennedy footballer: couldn't kick, couldn't mark, but he was a real footballer, good enough to play in 2 premierships during a great era!

And such a good witness - suck sh*t, Dominator!

;)

Yes, David Polkinghorne was a true Kennedy footballer: couldn't kick, couldn't mark, but he was a real footballer, good enough to play in 2 premierships during a great era!

And such a good witness - suck sh*t, Dominator!

;)

A lot of us seem to remember what he was bad at so I feel compelled to say that his great asset was that he could annoy his opponent into submission. He would stand on them, bump, punch the ball away, niggle and then repeat. In modern terms he put a hard tag on the opposition HFF. To see his true value you would need to track possessions and influence of his opponent, not his kicks and handballs. I can see why this sort of player didn't draw our attention.

for North Melbourne i would make a few changes to represent where the future of Hawthorn is going and theres 3 that i have major doubts on their future, so in that case i would make these changes

OUT:
Whitecross (has been in average to poor form the last few weeks)
Langford (has pros and cons, but at this stage his cons are greater)
Hartung (i've lost all hope)
?

I'm agnostic on Hartung. He's in our side and has limitations. He doesn't tackle, chases selectively and squibs contact sometimes. However, on the weekend, he did most of these things (not well, but he did them). In fact I think he's been improving his tackling for some weeks. This seemed like a major step forward, the guy is listening and working on his weaknesses. SO, I am surprised that there have been so many people of this view, after last week of all times. ?? Have you seen something I have not, or did you in fact lose all hope some time ago?

I'm agnostic on Hartung. He's in our side and has limitations. He doesn't tackle, chases selectively and squibs contact sometimes. However, on the weekend, he did most of these things (not well, but he did them). In fact I think he's been improving his tackling for some weeks. This seemed like a major step forward, the guy is listening and working on his weaknesses. SO, I am surprised that there have been so many people of this view, after last week of all times. ?? Have you seen something I have not, or did you in fact lose all hope some time ago?
I agree that he seemed to make a real effort on his defensive side of his game last weekend.

Unfortunately his lack of size and muscle makes it an uphill battle for tackling, etc.

Doubt he has the capacity to add 5kg of muscle to his frame at his age to which means he will always be at a physical disadvantage to most other players in the league

I agree, Hartung is the least of our problems and is worth persevering with IMO. Just seems to be a whipping boy around here, but his faults are being magnified. He at least picked up 18 touches and had 5 tackles against Richmond whereas Langford got the ball only 9 times or so and sprayed it everywhere. Don't think Hartung should be dropped on that performance.

I agree, Hartung is the least of our problems and is worth persevering with IMO. Just seems to be a whipping boy around here, but his faults are being magnified. He at least picked up 18 touches and had 5 tackles against Richmond whereas Langford got the ball only 9 times or so and sprayed it everywhere. Don't think Hartung should be dropped on that performance.

living up to your username, good to see ;-)

I guess people look a Glass' manic run down and bump in the goal square on the weekend (in his third game) and they want to see that attitude and desire from Hartung. He has the pace to do it but too many times just seems to either give up or make half hearted efforts to run someone down.

FWIW I see positive signs and I hope he makes it but I can see how he frustrates people. I know not all players can be contested beasts and you need outside players but he needs to be able to break even in contests and apply more pressure when we don't have the ball.

I agree that he seemed to make a real effort on his defensive side of his game last weekend.

Unfortunately his lack of size and muscle makes it an uphill battle for tackling, etc.

Doubt he has the capacity to add 5kg of muscle to his frame at his age to which means he will always be at a physical disadvantage to most other players in the league

do you think there is any room for a mostly outside player these days?

A lot of us seem to remember what he was bad at so I feel compelled to say that his great asset was that he could annoy his opponent into submission. He would stand on them, bump, punch the ball away, niggle and then repeat. In modern terms he put a hard tag on the opposition HFF. To see his true value you would need to track possessions and influence of his opponent, not his kicks and handballs. I can see why this sort of player didn't draw our attention.

He was unlucky to miss out on the 1983 premiership. I actually liked the fact that he didn't have any skills, but he was still such an important part of the team.
He was such an awkward footballer, yet he was quite a good cricketer: he played district cricket for Melbourne University for some years.

And he was a smart guy: he had a degree in engineering, and played a big role in the design of the Southern Stand at the MCG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back