Preview Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 6th August, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Blues

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not quite, only need one or two out of four. If we lose this we need to knock off Geelong, Richmond or Brisbane. Richmond and Carlton are the most winnable but Geelong aren't what they were either.
It’s a funny year, there’s a flag there for the taking for any team who can hit form during September.

Whats remarkable is how the Blues have turned it around over the past 6 weeks. Basically could not score until Voss changed tactics (and personnel) and gave them the freedom to run the ball out of the back half rather than play to a more structured plan.

They were a bit like us - too afraid to go forward, so if both coaches keep their attacking hats on, for the neutrals it should be an entertaining game to watch.

1691123013106.png

Hey all, just gonna add my write up of what I saw - looks like others mostly covered it but here's the notes I had:

-Early stuff was mostly ball movement drills, seperate 5v5 teams practising half back to inside 50 entry. Not much different here, skills were okay considering wind I reckon. Hunters hands were good, Owens was playing FF initially, then went into the guts.

Almost full team v team with an umpire:
-Initially I thought one team was clearly the 1s and the other the 2s but the shifted.
-Max in the 1s both times. Membrey was in the 2s for this.
-Seemed to my eye to be a couple of different play styles. The 1s would chip wider from kick in and play control down the wing. The other team would go more direct through the middle. I suppose just training both methods through.

Smaller team v team:
-Max initially on Wilkie briefly. Quickly switched and moved higher up the ground to a high HF almost wing position. Outlet kick to him from HB and delivered to running player. Then back to Wilkie at next stoppage. Liked to see this, think there's a lot of use and play generation if he gets on his bike more than normal. Maybe this shoulder injury forces that a bit more in the early stages. He looked.... a bit tentative to me. Maybe I was looking too hard.
-Sharman then played this same role, with Max staying deep.
-The entries i50 were very deep. All the way to the goal square, over opposition defenders who were pressing up at the kicker.
-Nas nice as always.
-Wood and Byrnes providing plenty of defensive run.
-Lots more calls here for "corridor". Seemed to be a big focus.

Proper team v team, all in:
-Hard to tell who will play from this, seemed a mix. Membrey, Stocker, Clarke, Pou, Webster, Hayes in orange, King, Hill in Blue. So maybe grain of salt type stuff? or just for balance of teams.
-Skills iffy as others have said, but it was very *ing windy.

-At the end King and Wilkie did one on ones sitting under a high ball, wrestle and compete for the mark. Here it looked like he was testing his shoulder as much as possible, and he actually seemed decently confident in it, especially compared to earlier in the sim stuff. I'd say he won 75% of the contests on Wilkie. Was reaching well, competing well. Hard to tell if he's confident internally, but it seemed okay to the eye.

-Hayes and Keeler 1v1 in the air. Keelers jump is something. Wow.

-Dougs doing some ball work one handed, and some light running.
-Ross doing some real high pace running. Looks like he wouldn't be that far away to my completely untrained eye.

That's about it for me.

As others have said, find it tough to pick who comes in. Lots of changing between "1s" and "2s" team.
If I were to guess, I'd say King and Hill perhaps.

Cheers.
Love your work as always mate 👍

Hey all, just gonna add my write up of what I saw - looks like others mostly covered it but here's the notes I had:

-Early stuff was mostly ball movement drills, seperate 5v5 teams practising half back to inside 50 entry. Not much different here, skills were okay considering wind I reckon. Hunters hands were good, Owens was playing FF initially, then went into the guts.

-Initially I thought one team was clearly the 1s and the other the 2s but the shifted.
-Seemed to my eye to be a couple of different play styles. The 1s would chip wider from kick in and play control down the wing. The other team would go more direct through the middle. I suppose just training both methods through.

Smaller team v team:
-Max initially on Wilkie briefly. Quickly switched and moved higher up the ground to a high HF almost wing position. Outlet kick to him from HB and delivered to running player. Then back to Wilkie at next stoppage. Liked to see this, think there's a lot of use and play generation if he gets on his bike more than normal. Maybe this shoulder injury forces that a bit more in the early stages. He looked.... a bit tentative to me. Maybe I was looking too hard.
-The entries i50 were very deep. All the way to the goal square, over opposition defenders who were pressing up at the kicker.
-Nas nice as always.

-Hard to tell who will play from this, seemed a mix. Membrey, Stocker, Clarke, Pou, Webster, Hayes in orange, King, Hill in Blue. So maybe grain of salt type stuff? or just for balance of teams.

-At the end King and Wilkie did one on ones sitting under a high ball, wrestle and compete for the mark. Here it looked like he was testing his shoulder as much as possible, and he actually seemed decently confident in it, especially compared to earlier in the sim stuff. I'd say he won 75% of the contests on Wilkie. Was reaching well, competing well. Hard to tell if he's confident internally, but it seemed okay to the eye.

-Ross doing some real high pace running. Looks like he wouldn't be that far away to my completely untrained eye.

That's about it for me.

As others have said, find it tough to pick who comes in. Lots of changing between "1s" and "2s" team.

Cheers.
Nice report.

Mine is more ball by ball, yours is like an after session review during the lunch break

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon ultimately he will be 50/50 forward/mid depending on where we need him most - think Petracca.

Windy - think Touk Miller (minus the squirrel grip!)
It’s funny pre draft I remember hearing a fair bit about how windy is very handy around goals. Had him in my Petracca mould but he hasn’t shown that open play goal ability yet. He looks more a pure mud and a very good one. But I really thought he’d be the 50/50 one out of him and Owens

Smaller team v team:
-Nas nice as always.

That's about it for me.

Cheers.
Vossy taking notes...
OGC.53e3e4e97f17bcdacb112db166e73444

It’s funny pre draft I remember hearing a fair bit about how windy is very handy around goals. Had him in my Petracca mould but he hasn’t shown that open play goal ability yet. He looks more a pure mud and a very good one. But I really thought he’d be the 50/50 one out of him and Owens

Windhager burst out of the blocks early but Owens is getting all the hype this year. Marcus has actually been very good in the last few weeks, a move to HBF seems to have freed him up and he's probably showing more than Owens right now but not getting noticed as much.

H
Windhager burst out of the blocks early but Owens is getting all the hype this year. Marcus has actually been very good in the last few weeks, a move to HBF seems to have freed him up and he's probably showing more than Owens right now but not getting noticed as much.
He has been very good no question I was just surprised to not see him as the half forward mid type

H

He has been very good no question I was just surprised to not see him as the half forward mid type
Give it some more time, it'll happen. Got interrupted by his broken hand and took him a while to get back into the groove. He's doing nicely now and is playing with confidence for the first time in his brief career. It is incredibly important for us that he holds down a role. If its HBF for the remainder of this season everyone can be very pleased.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back