Preview Round 21, 2023: St.Kilda v Carlton - Marvel Stadium, Sunday 6th August, 3:20PM AEST

Who Wins?

• Saints

Votes: 45 52.9%
  • Blues

Votes: 40 47.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually didn’t think stocker was bad. Webster got ******* Pantsed
Nature of the changed game plan. Meant Webster was one on one against Breust when we were playing a run and gun game - it was never gonna be easy for him.

Could have gone back to our more defensive structure's which would have made it easier for Webster, but then again we may have then only scored 7 goals and got rolled again.

Lyon always has his favourites. It's much better to be an incumbent in his team rather than someone trying to break down the door. Even though he did a few seasons in the media I think he's going on what his eyes tell him this year.

He made comments like he hadn't seen the best of Steele this year until the last few weeks. I'm getting the feeling he doesn't rate Billings and his papers might just about be stamped. Gresham too is clearly on thin ice. I think Lyon is waiting to see the best of Membrey before he drops one of the young tyros for him.

On the flip side I think Lyon is a fan of Sharman who looks secure now for the first time. Doubt he'd be playing under Ratts. Lyon also seems to have warmed to Windy after a slow start. Obviously Hill is a favorite and Cordy seems like his new Zac Dawson.

It just seems harder to get into a Lyon coached team than out of it. And it seems to me under Lyon everyone has started with a clean sheet regardless of their past achievements. Probably not a bad system.

Going to make it pretty tough for Billings it seems.

Nature of the changed game plan. Meant Webster was one on one against Breust when we were playing a run and gun game - it was never gonna be easy for him.

Could have gone back to our more defensive structure's which would have made it easier for Webster, but then again we may have then only scored 7 goals and got rolled again.

I reckon Jimmy would have been real shitty with himself. But i don't think we had anyone we could have swapped him with.
Breust is a classy player.

Lyon always has his favourites. It's much better to be an incumbent in his team rather than someone trying to break down the door. Even though he did a few seasons in the media I think he's going on what his eyes tell him this year.

He made comments like he hadn't seen the best of Steele this year until the last few weeks. I'm getting the feeling he doesn't rate Billings and his papers might just about be stamped. Gresham too is clearly on thin ice. I think Lyon is waiting to see the best of Membrey before he drops one of the young tyros for him.

On the flip side I think Lyon is a fan of Sharman who looks secure now for the first time. Doubt he'd be playing under Ratts. Lyon also seems to have warmed to Windy after a slow start. Obviously Hill is a favorite and Cordy seems like his new Zac Dawson.

It just seems harder to get into a Lyon coached team than out of it. And it seems to me under Lyon everyone has started with a clean sheet regardless of their past achievements. Probably not a bad system.

Ross dropped Dal Santo back in 2009 who like Billings was a talented but soft left footer, Dal bounced back with a harder edge, hopefully Billings can.

I reckon Jimmy would have been real shitty with himself. But i don't think we had anyone we could have swapped him with.
Breust is a classy player.
Me and my family (took my son to his first game) were sitting there with a good view watching Breust kick a few. The times I saw him lead up, the play up field was either via a turnover or a really positive ball movement play by the Hawks, Jimmy had no chance.
Breust is a gun and beat Jimmy for the day as he has beaten many defenders during the Hawks dominant and less dominant years.
For what it's worth, at the game in our area, Cooper brought the most energy and excitement, if he gets an extended run he'll take mark of the year one week.
Go saints

Ross dropped Dal Santo back in 2009 who like Billings was a talented but soft left footer, Dal bounced back with a harder edge, hopefully Billings can.

Dal was All Australian in 2005.
By 2009 he was miles better than Billings has ever been (keep in mind he won AA in ‘09 also).
Sure, he was coasting and needed a rocket, but they’re not in the same galaxy aside from both having a perhaps laconic approach, maybe unfairly, due to their skill level.
In that, Billings isn’t near Dal’s level of talent either.
Missed a trick not moving Billings on a season or two ago for something decent, albeit likely 2nd rounder. Now not worth a 4th.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

By 2009 he was miles better than Billings has ever been (keep in mind he won AA in ‘09 also).
Sure, he was coasting and needed a rocket, but they’re not in the same galaxy aside from both having a perhaps laconic approach, maybe unfairly, due to their skill level.
Missed a trick not moving Billings on a season or two ago for something decent, albeit likely 2nd rounder. Now not worth a 4th.

Yeah I know Dal Santo was a far better player than Billings but it just shows that Ross isn't afraid to drop players that just coast along on sheer talent.

Talent doesn't get it done, he rates workrate above all else which is why he backs in guys like Byrnes who makes up for his lack of talent with workrate.

You only have to look at Hill to see the difference, he has all the talent in the world but he works a lot harder under Ross than he did before he arrived.

You don't work hard under Ross, you don't play.

Match of the round and our biggest game of the season. Pretty bloody nervous, but also pretty confident we're gonna bring the heat! Hope we have the resolve to play bold attacking footy and not go into our shells or slip into bad habits. Golden opportunity here to build some serious momentum and belief!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange timing on that article - March 2009. Definitely was 07 or 08 (although I know that’s the point! Just a bit odd the way that is set up). It was a big event the two axings.

Public service announcement: the Carlton faithful are a wreck, they're jumpy, living on an emotional knife-edge and we're still a day and half out from gametime. Trying to chat in their Preview thread feels like I've checked into a psych ward but all the staff have gone home and the med cabinet is empty...

Also, some exist under the strange delusion that the team playing this weekend is a different team to that which played earlier in the year. More study required.

I particularly appreciated a couple of their posters being a bit shocked and exasperated at Ross Lyon "talking smack" in his presser, and just watching it now, RTB is definitely dishing up some not so subtle smack!! 😂🤪

Loved the mention that we might have begun their rot plus his birds eye view of Curnow last week from SOS's box 🪙

Last edited:

With Billings, simply a lack of continuity has cost him.
Unfortunately that’s been his issue in recent years

With Billings, simply a lack of continuity has cost him.
Unfortunately that’s been his issue in recent years

In hindsight he's been gone for a while, he's another sad chapter in the story that keeps on giving with regards to our recruitment and list management over the past two decades. Another wasted high DP, and the story will get even better if our No. 7 & 8 depart the list at the same time.

I don't think we've had the option to move Billings on for years. His free agency year he had zero offers. We ended up giving him a four year deal for some reason but he hasn't been worth much for years. We'd be hoping he can just contribute in some way if it's depth or as the sub over the next couple of years.

We're not going to get a better chance to cement ourselves in the eight. They're missing their best performed player of the year in Cerra. McKay missing who troubles us. Walsh out. From what I've seen of them McGovern is also a big out.

We match up on them well. Cordy can take TDK. Wilkie on Curnow. The main area of concern is their running backs, we need to lock down on them and limit their run.

With Richmond going down, win this and we can beat them and just about cement a finals spot. This is a must win game now I reckon and a chance to really get things going. Ignore the media BS we are in this up to our eyeballs and really should win the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back