Prediction Round 21, 2024 - Changes vs Gold Coast

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Schofield's fault?

I reckon there's a lot of fingers in the midfield development pie. We've not prioritized drafting mids, we haven't had a spate of high picks to use on mids, we've had established mids backed to the hilt which has hindered any potential young mids getting a look in, and perhaps we have taken our eye off midfield development whilst we were playing finals and hunting more flags.

Seems like some effort is now being put in to reverse the wrongs but it's going to take some time to bear fruit.

Does the team come out tmrw because it is a Friday night game?
No.

Mass changes coming.

Out - Trew, LEdwards (both INJ), Hutch, Petch (Both suspended), Rotham, Darling
In - Gov, Duggan, Johnston, Hall, Dewar, Gaff (Sub)

Obviously going to need some positional changes. I would like to see Hough have the shackles released for the last 4 weeks of the season. He has said in the past that his preferred position is a wing. He has shown that he is going to be a quality shutdown defender, but in the last month, lets see what other tricks he has. Played mainly as a wing with some time inside.

Culley lucky to hold, but give him another chance as a forward not as a mid.

If they want to play Johnston off HB, then Duggo to a wing.

Hall inside.

Backs - Gov, TB, HEdwards, Ginbey, Hunt, Cole, Duggan
Mid - Kelly, Yeo, Reid, Hall, Maric, Johnston, Hough
Rucks - Williams x 2
Forwards - Allen, Waterman, Culley, Dewar, Ryan, Cripps
Sub - Gaff

I still don't think we should bring Gov back this season. Punctured lung, another rib injury on top of what is a history of ribs letting go. It just doesn't make any sense to me to bother.

Let Harry and Tom go about it and see what's there. Just **** off Rotham for the love of god.

I still don't think we should bring Gov back this season. Punctured lung, another rib injury on top of what is a history of ribs letting go. It just doesn't make any sense to me to bother.

Let Harry and Tom go about it and see what's there. Just **** off Rotham for the love of god.
God does love this.

Following today’s injury update, this is the team I’d (realistically) like to see:

McGovern for Barrass (inj)
Duggan for Ledwards (inj)
Sheed for Trew (inj)
Dewar for Petch (susp)
Hall for Hutchinson (susp)
Culley into 22 for Darling
Witherden for Rotham
Flynn for Billiams
Sub: Rotham
Emergencies: Billiams, Gaff, Jones

Don’t think we need the extra tall forward, sorry Darling. Also don’t think we need Rotham back even with Barrass out, Ginbey and Hough can both play tall. Flynn in to combat Witts and/or Moyle which is bad news for Billiams.

Tricky selection because injuries have hit some areas and not others. Some players are going to have to pinch-hit as small-medium forwards, for example, because the cupboard’s pretty bare there with Petch and Hutchinson joining Long and Brockman on the sidelines.

What I pessimistically expect to see:
McGovern, Duggan, Sheed, Gaff, Culley for the injured/suspended players, with Witherden sub. A super tall lineup with oldies brought back and no new yoof.

I hope we have an energetic sub who can play a variety of positions rather than Rotham again.

Someone like HJ, even though it'd be better for him to play a full game in the WAFL development wise it would be a little more exciting when the sub is made at least.

I reckon there's a lot of fingers in the midfield development pie. We've not prioritized drafting mids, we haven't had a spate of high picks to use on mids, we've had established mids backed to the hilt which has hindered any potential young mids getting a look in, and perhaps we have taken our eye off midfield development whilst we were playing finals and hunting more flags.

Seems like some effort is now being put in to reverse the wrongs but it's going to take some time to bear frfruit.
Hough is a good example that by their third season, the mids should be able to start performing consistently. Ginbey should get there next year and Harley in 2026 (which is when I think we jump put of bottom 4 if we keep the rest together).

Just play Harvey.
JD out and AReid in.Short break and we need run.AR is the future give him a spin at home.
BBW would be very unlucky to be dropped. He worked really hard in the derby and I had him amongst our best.

Just play Harvey.
JD out and AReid in.Short break and we need run.AR is the future give him a spin at home.
BBW would be very unlucky to be dropped. He worked really hard in the derby and I had him amongst our best.
No! We do not need a fourth tall. We didn’t last week and we don’t this week. Oh, unless you’re bold enough to suggest Jake, Oscar or JWill should be dropped.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Out: Barrass, LEdwards, Trew, Hutchinson, Petruccelle, Darling, Rotham

In: Duggan, McGovern, Dewar, Hall, Johnston, Witherden, Flynn

Witherden, HEdwards, Duggan
Hough, McGovern, Maric
Kelly, Ginbey, Hunt
Cripps, Waterman, Dewar
Ryan, Allen, JWilliams

BWilliams, Reid, Yeo

Johnston, Flynn, Cole, Hall

Culley sub

Not a fan of both Flynn and BWilliams in the same team, but what are you gonna do?

Good opportunity to switch Oscar Allen into defence and debut Archer Reid.

No! We do not need a fourth tall. We didn’t last week and we don’t this week. Oh, unless you’re bold enough to suggest Jake, Oscar or JWill should be dropped.
Bench JW and ruck from there with BBW. Reid prides himself on pressure.I want him more for that than his marking.
Winning is not important at the moment.We will struggle to beat GC no matter what team we put on the park

Guaranteed outs:
Barrass LEdwards, Petch, Hutch, with Trew a maybe

Gov for Barrass
Duggan for LEdwards
Dewar for Petch
Sheed/Gaff for Hutch

Maybe someone for Trew, could be Sheed/Gaff or could be Johnston/Hall

Cant see us doing much more than that, unless theres a kid we specifically want to get a game. Theres not really any smalls or mids pushing for games from the WAFL.

Johnston would have been the one but he hasnt played much lately as the emergency.
A.Reid would be good but we are too tall as it is, and NO bringing him in for Darling is not a good plan, we are already 1 tall too many in the forward line.

Maybe could see Rotham out with Allen switched back as the 3rd tall for something different, then A.Reid could be a chance, very unlikely though.
If we were to do Allen to the backline I think Flynn would be the one to come in, with a fwd trio of JWilliams, Waterman and Bailey.

Bailey still hasnt had a real shot as a genuine KPF in any game yet, hes always been the 4th tall. Id like to give him 2 games at it and see if he can do something.
Make JWilliams be the 2nd ruck and leave Bailey in the F50 for 2 full games and see what he can do

Unfortunately for Johnston, he’s only played one game in the last 4 weeks as a result of being held over a couple of times plus the WAFL side having a bye.

This irks me, greatly.

He's been close, but now as result of being close he's lost fitness and goes to the back of the line.

Not ideal.

TV was on Channel 10 at the gym with no sound but looked like they were insinuating Gaff is getting a farewell game this week?

Couldn’t really tell if it was based on sources or just opinion without sound though.

Is being pushed by plenty in the media. I think Hammer Brayshaw was the first to run with it and that was a month or so ago now.

TV was on Channel 10 at the gym with no sound but looked like they were insinuating Gaff is getting a farewell game this week?

Couldn’t really tell if it was based on sources or just opinion without sound though.
I hope so.

hes basically best 22 for us this week anyway with so many outs

Would prefer Culley to be starting 22, not as the sub.
Just my thoughts, he's coming from a long way back after ACL.
Hutchinson position? Unsure.
Rotate fwd/mid/bench?
Understand the knocks on him, just would like to see him have a good run at it.
Maybe delusional, but I just like his style/work ethic, and he is still early stages of AFL career.
I would be backing him in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back