Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

hawthorn are 9th with a better percentage than us
if they beat Carlton, they are in, easy final 2 games against North and Richmond
Carlton can lose to Hawks and win last 2 easy games against WC and Saints and they will have a far better percentage than us
best hope for us is if we win our last 3 and Carlton to beat Hawks, and Freo to lose 2 of their last 3 ( hard run home for them )

soon as you are relying on other results this far out, not very likely to go our way
If Hawks beat Carlton, they'll finish ahead of us without a mishap. Might still miss out on percentage though.

If Hawks beat Carlton, they'll finish ahead of us without a mishap. Might still miss out on percentage though.
Might get down to the 2 points we lost vs Freo thanks the bizarre umpiring decision (and us drawing on Anzac Day and losing to the Suns)

Rewatched the game, we kept them goalless for the last 5:45. After giving away 3 goals in less than 90 seconds!

The good & bad.

Defence was pretty unlucky with the comeback goals - Blues were jagging everything off half a step.

Ned Long has been up for a bit of criticism, and it is true his game wasn't the best, but I thought as a I watched, the he doesn't take possession when he could because he was deferring to team mates with better disposal credentials, even when he (Long) is in prime position to get it. It made me think that he has instructions on this. It would only be a guess as to what they might be, but it could easily be that he has been told that his mission is defensive, and like Frampton in the grand final, he is not adjusting in the moment to an aggressive opportunity. Does anyone else have this perception or is it just one of my constructs?
This comment caught my attention. I can’t say that I necessarily thought this about Long, but all season I’ve felt our gameplans have gone out of our way to hide our bottom six or eight, particularly when we’ve been hit by injury. We did it really well during that streak of wins, and I felt that it was those same players that the opposition were really punishing us through when our form turned to shit.

So on that, I think perhaps we don’t have as much faith in the lower end of our list as what we portray to with our next man up ethos.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brisbane were terrible to start the year.
We did not beat deep after being 25 points up deep in to final quarter, proves my point.
Had the dogs on toast at 3qt before getting bonted,also proves my point.
Have beaten blues twice and that’s good. They have lost how many of their last 5 though?
Absolutely agree re port which is why I said “other than port”.

But yes you are right, the idea of “contender” this year is all over the place.

Basically this season is full of contradictions.

The Swans look absolute pox now. Brisbane and the Dogs will be in similar boat to Blues/Giants of last year, having to spend many petrol tickets to get back into contention. The Lions look in the box seat but in saying that, they aren't invincible at home this season.

It's a shame we're going to fall short. We look like we might hit form at the right time.

The most heart palpitating moment for me wasn’t McGovern lining up but rather the moment late in the last when Carlton player gathers the ball deep inside the 50, clearly out of bounds, field umpire standing on the boundary line puts his hands behind his back, Carlton player squares the ball to a loose team mate who marks, finally the boundary umpire blows his whistle. That’s utter torture for a Pies supporter.

The most heart palpitating moment for me wasn’t McGovern lining up but rather the moment late in the last when Carlton player gathers the ball deep inside the 50, clearly out of bounds, field umpire standing on the boundary line puts his hands behind his back, Carlton player squares the ball to a loose team mate who marks, finally the boundary umpire blows his whistle. That’s utter torture for a Pies supporter.
Any shots of Andy Maher at this point?

He must have known what would happen, and couldn't handle it.
The look on his face when we knocked the scum out of the finals in 2022 was absolutely priceless.
And earlier this year 🤣

I hear they're bringing back Bloooose radio this week. They've given it a miss the past several weeks 🤭 Hawks are doing one as well this week.

Double yuk.

Remove this Banner Ad

Toast Round 21 = Collingwood 84-81 Carlton (Pendles 400th)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back