Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Biggest mistake was probably made before the game even started by picking Erasmus over Brodie, needed a big and experienced head in there to replace Fyfe’s influence and to no one’s surprise we got beaten out of the middle most of the day.

For the first time in maybe our entire existence we were kept in it by our forwards and let down by our mids and backs.

Huge 3 weeks leading up to finals. We’ll see what we’re all about.

Last edited:

Kick ins - We need a plan B.

We currently have 2 variations on the same plan A
1) Ryan looks around, makes it seem like he's assessing his options, then bangs it to the back edge corner of the center square where we almost never mark it or win it at ground level.
2) Ryan chips it 17m to a player (keeping in mind you could literally just run to that exact same spot) where said player assesses their options, then bangs it 7m further than our first variation and possibly closer to the boundary where we almost never take a mark or win it at ground level, but sometimes get it out of bounds 80m out from goal.

We do sometimes have a pulled kick version to Cox about 55m out right on the boundary but didn't attempt that today as they were manning up.

Kick ins should be better. It's ball in your hands and something you can work on.

We have NOTHING.
I agree 100% with this. Also wonder why, when this is so predictable, we never win a crumb from this pack situation. Time and time again it is knocked forward towards their goal and we have no representation. Or it goes over the back and again we have no representation. The football IQ of our crumbers makes Sumich look like a Rhodes Scholar.

I was not overly surprised at the result given our previous performances in crunch games. We have lost a number of close ones through sheer panic and lack of composure.

As my Dad used to say - I'm not angry, just very disappointed 😒

I did. Freddy and Emmett put on no pressure. They weren't in position to crumb either, so every time the ball hit the ground Essendon were able to clear it effortlessly.

1 point is flattering, we honestly should've loss by more. Accuracy flattered us

This was always going to be a weak spot for us with Shultz leaving and Walters near the end. We should be throwing whatever we've got at Kosy Pickett or Shai Bolton in this off season.

I agree 100% with this. Also wonder why, when this is so predictable, we never win a crumb from this pack situation. Time and time again it is knocked forward towards their goal and we have no representation. Or it goes over the back and again we have no representation. The football IQ of our crumbers makes Sumich look like a Rhodes Scholar.

I was not overly surprised at the result given our previous performances in crunch games. We have lost a number of close ones through sheer panic and lack of composure.

As my Dad used to say - I'm not angry, just very disappointed 😒
Agree. It's fine, but it seems even when Darcy and Jackson are there we can't seem to win it

Hate the comparisons to the midfield of 2013-2015, but absolutely would back Suban, Barlow, Fyfe, Mundy locking it down and forcing every stoppage to be a wrestle.
Stuff talent if Young, Brayshaw, Serong don’t want to man up, get in hard and create chaos

There is a reason why Suban and Deboer played so many games in a midfield that contained Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, and Neale. That is the kind of player our midfield is missing.

JLo and the coaching staff are still a fair way from premiership material.
I say that when I repeatedly see the same mistakes and flaws being replayed game after game and even year on year.

Two glaring examples:
one, our repeated inability, in our losses, to stop oppo clearances out the front of centre bounce. Its a mortal crime and we have failed to reliably be able to revert to a plan B when the opposition get on a multi goal roll.

Two: we are such a poor forward 50 tackling team. In order to tackle, you have to actually man up and not guard space. If you want to see a really good example of a super fast, super talented, super ripped strong forward, extraordinarily poorly coached in the art of forward pressure, such that he can go multiple whole games without laying a single tackle, watch a guy called Michael Frederick.

You can also see poor coaching as Walters, Schultz, Freddy et al fly for marks and never are front and centre of the talls for the spoils. Our crumbing is non existent and sure, better personel might help but it still has to be coached.

Players choked tonight but coaching have to share some of this.

There is a reason why Suban and Deboer played so many games in a midfield that contained Fyfe, Mundy, Barlow, and Neale. That is the kind of player our midfield is missing.

The reason was Ross Lyon wouldn't give anyone else a go. Picked Suban over Neale in the GF for christ's sake.

What lesson is there to learn today that they shouldn't already know? Momentum begins and ends at the centre bounce. That starts with the ruckman and Darcy let us down big time today. The lack of support by the other mids didn't help either. A clearance dominant midfield should not be getting smacked in their strongest area of the ground.
Darcy was on light training which suggests he was injured more than we realised. The Derby obviously messed with him. He had a hard head knock from Pettracelli as well as a hard knock to his knee.

Maybe he shouldn’t have played today. They had Reidy there ready to go.
It could’ve made the difference between a win and a loss.

JLo and the coaching staff are still a fair way from premiership material.
I say that when I repeatedly see the same mistakes and flaws being replayed game after game and even year on year.

Two glaring examples:
one, our repeated inability, in our losses, to stop oppo clearances out the front of centre bounce. Its a mortal crime and we have failed to reliably be able to revert to a plan B when the opposition get on a multi goal roll.

Two: we are such a poor forward 50 tackling team. In order to tackle, you have to actually man up and not guard space. If you want to see a really good example of a super fast, super talented, super ripped strong forward, extraordinarily poorly coached in the art of forward pressure, such that he can go multiple whole games without laying a single tackle, watch a guy called Michael Frederick.

You can also see poor coaching as Walters, Schultz, Freddy et al fly for marks and never are front and centre of the talls for the spoils. Our crumbing is non existent and sure, better personel might help but it still has to be coached.

Players choked tonight but coaching have to share some of this.

I see 2 sides to the pressure in our front 50m.

A) We are spaced out heaps better. In other words real 1-1 contests. Obviously if you lose then it may bounce out.

Previously we may have been able to tackle heaps, but it can be a misleading stat because it may mean we’re bringing numbers to a contest and that can be counter productive to getting shots at goal.

But yeah. Would be nice if we had some crumbed goals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darcy was on light training which suggests he was injured more than we realised. The Derby obviously messed with him. He had a hard head knock from Pettracelli as well as a hard knock to his knee.

Maybe he shouldn’t have played today. They had Reidy there ready to go.
It could’ve made the difference between a win and a loss.
I didn't know that, makes sense then.

Everything is clouded by the result.
There was so much good in today's performance.

It's kind of like the antithesis to the Sydney game. I can't even remember any of the bad parts of the Sydney game because Logan missed a shot on goal.
Seriously? Forwards, accuracy, Switta and Young. The rest was crap, far more negatives than positives

Seriously? Forwards, accuracy and Young. The rest was crap, far more negatives than positives
I think the main negative is again capitulating in the last quarter, proving we aren't contenders until we stop folding under pressure away. Essendon played 50x better than the last few weeks as expected and are an 8-10 team because they aren't terrible.

Also thought Walker was fantastic and thought Ras showed he can play AFL (one excruciating clanger notwithstanding).

Other negative actually is whatever has happened to Ryan's 1v1 defending. He won an AA playing as a fullback...

There’s only so many times you can put Aish or JOM in the centre square and lose dramatically before the blame goes on the coaches. Just in the last fortnight Aish is a massive liability, yet they go to that well again.
Which is why we need either Bolton and/or Warner.

I see 2 sides to the pressure in our front 50m.

A) We are spaced out heaps better. In other words real 1-1 contests. Obviously if you lose then it may bounce out.

Previously we may have been able to tackle heaps, but it can be a misleading stat because it may mean we’re bringing numbers to a contest and that can be counter productive to getting shots at goal.

But yeah. Would be nice if we had some crumbed goals.
I think this is it. We're good at defending score from our front half. We were good at it today by the numbers.

Committing numbers forward to try up our tackle pressure might get us an increased opp to score, by locking the ball in front half. We were average at it today. But its not statistically improving our ability to defend.

Kick ins - We need a plan B.

We currently have 2 variations on the same plan A
1) Ryan looks around, makes it seem like he's assessing his options, then bangs it to the back edge corner of the center square where we almost never mark it or win it at ground level.
2) Ryan chips it 17m to a player (keeping in mind you could literally just run to that exact same spot) where said player assesses their options, then bangs it 7m further than our first variation and possibly closer to the boundary where we almost never take a mark or win it at ground level, but sometimes get it out of bounds 80m out from goal.

We do sometimes have a pulled kick version to Cox about 55m out right on the boundary but didn't attempt that today as they were manning up.

Kick ins should be better. It's ball in your hands and something you can work on.

We have NOTHING.
He's been doing that for the last 3-4 years. We have very poor plans to get the ball in after a kick in.

He's been doing that for the last 3-4 years. We have very poor plans to get the ball in after a kick in.

If that’s the plan then just do it quicker. It infuriates me as you can see it unfold ahead of the play where they start to bring numbers to the drop and we invariably go to our plan and are outnumbered.

Same when teams go long down the line.

We didn’t really take the kick on through the middle and when we did it wasn’t the right time or we got through.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 - Freo Edged by the Dons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back