Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Can I just say, what a fantastic game by Hawthorn. Came with a plan to beat us and delivered it to perfection. Question for them is where has that been all year.
Question for supporters is: this is a brutally tough game, you want your team to always win, lesser sides to always win?? We played within ourselves they had a crack. If we had a red hot go we'd have smashed em.

While we weren't playing overly convincing footy prior to the Port game, once we got over that hurdle I feel like most of our players (and potentially coaches) took the foot off the gas mentally and are trying to cruise to finals knowing we've all but locked up top spot.

Problem with this is we are now flirting with form and confidence, and as we saw tonight, playing at 50-60% intensity when your opponent is playing at 100% intensity can really open you up to injuries.

Dangerous times, let's hope they know what they're doing

Once again, ignoring our performances over a longer period and focusing on just the last 2 weeks

The last 2 weeks have been coming for a long time.

- Looked terrible against Melbourne. “Oh we had missing players and everyone was sick” (even I used this excuse)

- Played great against Gold Coast “Awesome, we’re back”

- Struggled massively against Adelaide. Won a game we deserved to lose

- Struggled massively against Bulldogs. Played one good quarter

- Played mediocre for almost the entire Freo game. Blew them away in one quarter

- Struggled the entire game against Port. Played well for half a quarter

- s**t against Carlton. “Oh the Port Game took it out of them”

- s**t again tonight

That’s our 2 month form line.

1 Genuinely good game.

This isn’t just poor form the last 2 weeks. This has been poor form for 2 months

If we haven’t been able to turn our form around in the last 2 months, not sure what makes people think it’ll suddenly turn around in this final month.

Exactly this. We are not as good as we think.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I'm concerned that some playters have hit a wall. Might not be 'the' wall (as in gone forever) but a wall for this season.

I posted after round 1 that we play a highly taxing game. Its very difficult to sustain that intensity over the course of a season.

I've been very positive about our chances, but realistically we are in trouble.

Did anyone watch training this week? Did we have a big training load?

It was such a low effort game from us. No run, pressure, effort.

I’d hope we are doing a large training load at the moment or everyone had the flu. Otherwise that was just an arrogant and lazy performance. Or we have run out of juice after being so good at the start of the year.

Very disappointing. The performance was reminiscent of the Buckley years.

It was the first time I can recall Fly being outcoached. Can't understand why more work and preparation wasn't done to make Sicily accountable. Sicily has been the backbone of any success Hawthorn has seen this year. Secondly, while N Daicos was struggling to shake off the tag being applied to him, I didn't see any moves or assistance from others to help him overcome it.

It's evident that we're in a form slump at a time when one would be hoping we were building strong momentum into the finals. There's still time to turn it around, but what's clear now is the premiership race is wide open and we shouldn't been seen as outright favourites anymore. We're just one of several teams that could win it if the stars align.

Clearances were a weakness of ours last year, and we hoped Mitchell would be the solution to the problem but as his form has dropped off, the issue has resurfaced again. We lost the centre clearance count 18-3 which is an atrocious figure.

Very worried about Checkers. He's almost the personification of our current form slump. Only 2 goals in his last 5 games, and no goals in 4 of those 5 games. Thankfully, Elliott has really stepped up since the bye and heavily added to his goal tally.

Murphy, N Daicos and Mitchell have all been listed as sustaining injuries according to the AFL's official match report. Selection changes would have to be made irrespective of injuries, but our hand will be forced now.

Isn’t this what Mcstay was for?? Johnson could of been this forward to if he wasn’t so inconsistent.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
No McStay is a solid type but he has never kicked more than 20+ in a season. He is your 4th,5th or 6th best goalkicker type. Solid piece of a good team but not a star.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s hard to understand that we could win the clearances around the ground by two to one,yet lose the centre clearances by six to one.🤔I don’t know how that’s possible,but that’s our biggest problem at the moment,apart from so many players being woefully out of form.

While we weren't playing overly convincing footy prior to the Port game, once we got over that hurdle I feel like most of our players (and potentially coaches) took the foot off the gas mentally and are trying to cruise to finals knowing we've all but locked up top spot.

Problem with this is we are now flirting with form and confidence, and as we saw tonight, playing at 50-60% intensity when your opponent is playing at 100% intensity can really open you up to injuries.

Dangerous times, let's hope they know what they're doing
Excellent post.

Big boy month July - with specific targets - was the way Fly phrased it. Win all/most of July games and qualify as high as you can.

-July is over.
-Many new contracts signed & delivered.
-Players given extended breaks after Carlton game last week & Port game week before
-Flashes of 'globetrotter' football becoming a little more pervasive..
-Mids running ahead of the ball looking for cheapies out front of stoppage
-Highlights of players in f50 not dishing off to team-mates in better position
-Media all over our top of ladder position and 'come from behind' Hollywood theatrics ..Daicos hype over-drive, front-page fashion spread of IQ's braids etc
-Supporters hubris kicks in re Pie invincibility & multi-year domination

Today reminded me a bit of a Collingwood vs Hawthorn game from 2008 when Ben McGlynn tagged Alan Didak. After being niggled all day, Dids started to get really annoyed and retaliate, only to give away free kicks. That just invited half the Hawthorn side to get stuck into him, at which point I turned to my Dad and said "Why the f**k isn't anyone helping him out?" and my Dad responded "Who's our toughest player? Nick Maxwell? We've got nobody mate!"

Again, Nick gets bullied by the opposition and his brother is the only player who'll help him out. It was Nick and Josh vs like 8 Hawks players in a scuffle until Bruzzy and a couple of others came in way too late for a bit of pushing and shoving before bailing again while Sicily was still ragdolling Nick on the ground.

Absolutely pathetic. I felt so bad for the young lad. Geelong never let Gaz get bullied like that.

Send Nick to half back again and bring Frampton in. Tell him if anyone even breathes in Nick's direction to go and sit them on their ass. Protect the young lad and free him up to do what he does best.

We need some desperation in the middle. Not enough pressure and too many missed tackles. Slot Adams back in the center and reshuffle the runners. Degoey needs a serve and is one of the softest one way runners in the team. Cox gives us structure and a good bail out long option so needs to come back in.

The Hawks played extremely well and executed perfectly. Blind Freddy could see they broke away from the clearances and immediately switched back against the grain time and time again to multiple free hawks jumpers. It was painful to watch this game. Our Ruckmen were absolutely ineffective with the majority of any they won hitting Newcombe on the T?ts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 21 = Hawthorn 105-73 Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Back