Preview Round 22 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants, 1.45pm AEST Sat 10th August, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS
Look away now dlanod. The games just get tougher. Next week our opponent is Brisbane, at their home ground. They sit second on the ladder, with a healthy percentage (second only to Sydney), and they've now won 9 games in a row - their last loss being a 4-goal defeat to Hawthorn. Remarkably, we're sitting just 2 points and 2 places (plus some percentage) below them, thanks mainly to their very slow start to the season. Our recent formline reads 5 wins. However, that's certainly not as convincing as it sounds, with very narrow wins gained against Hawks this week and Demons last week. In most of those games, we've played patchily - clearly some scintillating attack, but also giving up significant leads, comebacks, runs of goals or just playing poorly at times. We are so close to making finals that we can taste it, but it's not guaranteed yet. One more win should do it. Can we rebel against respective formlines and do it with an upset against the Lions?

Following a 2-5 start to the season and with four players on the sidelines with season-ending knee injuries, Brisbane has fought hard to find itself as a premiership fancy. Their latest win over the Saints was as powerful as it was clinical. In a way, the injuries and early-season adversity may have set them up for a good back end. Kai Lohmann is having a huge impact, Logan Morris can compete at the top level, Cam Rayner has gone up a few levels, the defenders are covering for each other and there is no longer a reliance on Lachie Neale or Harris Andrews to produce a huge game to guarantee success. Conversely, none of Joey, Hipwood or Charlie Cameron are having as big a season as they would like. But don't dismiss them as not a threat - because they are.

Still, GWS has equivalent players in many of those positions. Hogan is leading the Coleman medal race; Toby is neck-and-neck for the top scoring small/medium forward. Brent Daniels is having a seriously good year. Whitfield is in the mix for AA, while Taylor, Buckley and Idun continue to form a strong defence. It's probably in the midfield where the Lions look stronger, as without Coniglio and Kelly, it's been left to Tom Green and Finn Callaghan for the heavy lifting, with guest roles for Ward, Peatling, and McMullin. We are still heavily reliant on Briggs too, for clearances and tackles (he's 6th in the comp for clearances, ahead of players such as Bont & Anderson; he's 26th in the comp for tackles, 2nd most of all GWS players, and ahead of Tom Green).

So, what are the likely changes? Well, there were a few fans surprised at Gru getting the call over Lachie Keeffe, and he was subbed out early, not having impacted the match too much. Whereas Cadman playing second ruck seemed be more involved. Will there be a change there? As well, Briggs looks to be a bit banged up. Does that indicate that Keeffe should come in to take some weight off the Big Rig's shoulders? Or does Kingsley go smaller - Callum Brown, for instance? Will Kelly or Cogs be available to play? Last week's injury report had both at 1-2 weeks, and Kingers' comments indicated Kelly was more likely to play than Cogs. That will help, but will it be enough? I assume Bedford will tag someone, probably Lachie Neale. And we'll rely on our standard backline talls to blunt Joe & Co; but can we stifle their small forward as well?

It's going to be a fascinating game. Can we avoid (a) a slow start & (b) falling asleep for a quarter or two? Beating the Lions at the Gabba will be a tough ask, but if we can win it would cement our place in the finals I reckon, as well as keeping us alive for a top 4 finish.

What are your thoughts? if you were Kingers, what tweaks to the team, or tactics would you make?

I think this is going to be a hard game to win. Brisbane are playing very good football, and at home with a 9 game winning streak are going to be very tough. They are deservedly the current premiership favourites. We also don’t have a good record at Gabba having lost 4 consecutive matches. Of course our team has shown they are capable of winning under adverse conditions and when not playing well - will be a true test of our credentials against the best team in the competition.

Keefe in for Gru, the experience and 2nd ruck option will help beyond measure.
Kelly for XO.
I don’t think Cogs returns, I have a bad feeling we don’t see him for the year.

Keefe's height would be valuable as would his effort but he just seems too slow at times as has been shown up in previous games back. I'd try a 'left field' selection and bring Derksen in for his debut. He can chop-out with Cadman and has the ability to present as a viable mobile third tall option;we are heaviliy dependent on Hogan to take marks up forward.

Neale and McCluggage spent over 60% in defensive half, almost 70% for Neale today. It means their younger mids, who get less touches, went forward.

Bedford will need to tag Neale then McClug. Cam Rayner will be a nightmare. With Cameron injured, he will be playing forward I reckon.

Lions have height and speed. Hate Joe Danniher but he is in a good form.

I don't expect us to win but I want to see competitive game. Oh, I also want Hogan to kick 3+.

Feeling good about this one. Kingas had both cogs and Kelly as playing as long as they get through training this week with no new injuries out of the game.

Midfield is where we need the most help and cogs/kelly will provide that.

XO out with muff to sub for cogs and Kelly.

I get Gruzewski should be rewarded for his VFL form but at this stage he doesn’t bring much. Would prefer Keefe but not sure that will happen

Feeling good about this one. Kingas had both cogs and Kelly as playing as long as they get through training this week with no new injuries out of the game.

Midfield is where we need the most help and cogs/kelly will provide that.

XO out with muff to sub for cogs and Kelly.

I get Gruzewski should be rewarded for his VFL form but at this stage he doesn’t bring much. Would prefer Keefe but not sure that will happen
If I were coach, and let’s face it … I probably should be, I’d do pretty much what you suggest

I'm not confident we'll get Cogs back this week, but Kelly will be a huge in. His class and poise always makes a big difference and that'll give us a nice boost in the middle of the ground.

So, Kelly in for XO who moves to the sub.

Gruz offers us absolutely nothing. Replace him with Keeffe or Brown or... honestly anyone would be an improvement.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

James Leake keeps racking it up in the two’s after a late start to his year and importantly seems very efficient in clearances. Is it too late for him this year?
Yeah, was thinking about him when I was doing the write-up. But I'd suggest that debuting him away against the Lions would be pretty tough. Of course, if we had no other choice, you'd do it. Or, do we need to give him a run in case he is required during the run home and finals? If Kelly comes in for XO, do we put both he and Fonti back into VFL for full games, and make Leake the sub (although I hate doing that!)?

Gru seems to be an excellent VFL player who can't take the step up to AFL standard.

Cadman also doesn't replicate his VFL form, be it by design or application, but has the advantage of being a relief ruckman.

With Riccardi out, that's at least forcing him to be more involved. Not ideal, but needs must.

Tuesday's injury list is all important but right now based on Kingsley's presser:
Kelly for XOH
Keeffe for Gru
(need to ease Briggs' workload. Those shoulders seem to be on the precipice of a season-ending hit).

Last edited:
Yes, need to think positively. Hopefully Kingers and the team are.
I feel like Kingers has the right attitude for this, where he says 'we're capable of winning every game and we're capable of losing every game'.

I really think that's right. We get Kelly back and we replace Gru as well as continuing to clean up some parts of our game and we have a very good chance of winning this game.

We also have a good chance of getting smashed by a Brisbane team who are in very good form at the moment.

Gru seems to be an excellent VFL player who can't take the step up to AFL standard.
Harsh

Again, like Cadman, his role & leading patterns are different in the VFL and he's only played 2 & a half games at AFL level. And he only turned 20 a few weeks ago.

To say he can't take the step up is ridiculous

I'd just add a caveat to that that he can't take the step up to AFL standard right now. His VFL performances suggest there's some ability there, but it might take a while to develop his skillset and get bigger and stronger.

We can only hope that Cal Brown has been working on the areas that needed fixing because he's the sort of player that could be very valuable for us with Riccardi out.

Cadman also doesn't replicate his VFL form, be it by design or application, but has the advantage of being a relief ruckman.

With Riccardi out, that's at least forcing him to be more involved. Not ideal, but needs must.

Tuesday's injury list is all important but right now based on Kingsley's presser:
Kelly for XOH
Keeffe for Gru
(need to ease Briggs' workload. Those shoulders seem to be on the precipice of a season-ending hit).
Should we give Briggs a game off?
Keefe, Cadman, Himmelberg (if needed to) can share ruck duties.

Should we give Briggs a game off?
He can have his game off in October, unless he's completely busted he's a must

Every game is crucial, if we can knock off the Lions we will be in a very good spot for Top.4

Loose the pressure mounts

He can have his game off in October, unless he's completely busted he's a must

Every game is crucial, if we can knock off the Lions we will be in a very good spot for Top.4

Loose the pressure mounts
I was thinking if medicos think a week off helps, we should accept a slightly lower chance of winning this game in order ( by not playing Briggs) to increase our chances of beating Fremantle and Bulldogs.

I was thinking if medicos think a week off helps, we should accept a slightly lower chance of winning this game in order ( by not playing Briggs) to increase our chances of beating Fremantle and Bulldogs.
Know where your coming from 👍

Think if they were going to do it would've been done few weeks back when we played Richmond

Preuss, Madden out leaves us vulnerable (off-season list changes will be interesting) but the horse has bolted for being managed

Swans dropping so many games of late has made the battle for top.4/8 even more interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back