Preview Round 22 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants, 1.45pm AEST Sat 10th August, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preuss, Madden out leaves us vulnerable (off-season list changes will be interesting) but the horse has bolted for being managed
Madden may be back this week (was listed 1-2 weeks last week from what I could see) but it'd be a tough job rushing him straight in for his debut.

Harsh

Again, like Cadman, his role & leading patterns are different in the VFL and he's only played 2 & a half games at AFL level. And he only turned 20 a few weeks ago.

To say he can't take the step up is ridiculous
You're only guessing that Gru will make the grade.

I'd rather base my opinions on facts.

At this stage, as has been stated, he is not performing anywhere near his VFL form when given the opportunity, hence his lack of appearances in the AFL.

He might come good. I hope he does.

But ridiculous based on what we've all witnessed to date?

You're living in fantasy land if potential is all you've got.

Let's all calm the farm, folks, and make sure we focus on the issue under discussion ... please don't play the man.

I think it's fair to say that despite some great flashes of form at VFL level, Gru - on the basis of only 3 game in AFL - has not shown much at AFL level. Whether he can or can't make it at AFL level is very much yet to be determined - at this stage, in my humble opinion you just can't say for sure either way.

But I think it's reasonable to suggest he's unlikely to step up in the remainder of this season based on performance to date.

I like it except for Haynes coming into the side and HH playing forward. HH won’t be playing forward and Haynes will only come back in for injury.

Haynes BOG in the VFlL.

He’s played a lot of big games for us over the years.

HH up front would stun the Lions. He can take a contested mark and kick a goal.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Gru seems to be an excellent VFL player who can't take the step up to AFL standard.

Cadman also doesn't replicate his VFL form, be it by design or application, but has the advantage of being a relief ruckman.

With Riccardi out, that's at least forcing him to be more involved. Not ideal, but needs must.

Tuesday's injury list is all important but right now based on Kingsley's presser:
Kelly for XOH
Keeffe for Gru
(need to ease Briggs' workload. Those shoulders seem to be on the precipice of a season-ending hit).

Lions, when their confidence is up, at home is one of the toughest outings.
I think we need to do something different at stoppages… we get belted there just about every week.

Clearances Round 21. Giants 36 Hawks 35. Hawks convincingly won ruck hit out numbers so clearance numbers a good result.

Clearances Round 20. Giants 38 Demons 36.

Given our two senior mids have been injured and Briggs is playing with one arm i think the they are competing well. Agree the center clearance work can improve. Daniels may assist with this moving forward.

What is Briggs shoulder injury?
Could it improve with a week off?
I think time to bring Keefe in, he is very tall.
Could we afford to give Briggs and Keefe only 65% game time each, with Hogan 90% and Cadman 80%
Hogan played 96% game time on Sunday, Toby 94%.

We have to try to win clearances without Briggs, but perhaps the coaches don't have confidence we can do well without him.

Last edited:
Haynes BOG in the VFlL.

Himmelberg also went forward in the last quarter in the weekend

In the.event we get both Cogs and Kelly back it'll be interesting to see who comes out.
It'll almost certainly be XOH.
I suspect it is than Peatling v McMullen.
The unlucky player to be sub.
Id go with Peatling missing, fully aware of what we lose with him out. I think Cogs adds that same defensive attention plus doing his own thing.
McMullen far better ball user imo.

Whoever misses will be unlucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If memory serves, HH was also was critical up front late in our last win at Mars against the Dogs.

We’re headed back there in two weeks.

He seemed to be hovering around wing and high half-forward in the last quarter.
His kicking inside 50 is usually exceptional.

In the.event we get both Cogs and Kelly back it'll be interesting to see who comes out.
It'll almost certainly be XOH.
I suspect it is than Peatling v McMullen.
The unlucky player to be sub.
Id go with Peatling missing, fully aware of what we lose with him out. I think Cogs adds that same defensive attention plus doing his own thing.
McMullen far better ball user imo.

Whoever misses will be unlucky.
Fonti was sub the last 2, so he's more likely than Peatling to lose out.
Plus Fonti has only played a bit over 1 quarter in those 2 games and probably needs a full game.
I think we're all happy with how he's progressing, though.

Fonti was sub the last 2, so he's more likely than Peatling to lose out.
Plus Fonti has only played a bit over 1 quarter in those 2 games and probably needs a full game.
I think we're all happy with how he's progressing, though.
Fonti will definitely come out of we get Cogs and Kelly back.
Figure XOH and Fonti will drop out completely with one of McMullen or Peatling to Sub

Does Brisbane tag?

If so, Lachie has got to be a danger of copping one after his mammoth disposal count at Manuka.

Fonti looks silky by foot.

He may be an important alternative distribution channel if Lachie gets shutdown.

Haynes BOG in the VFlL.

Take it to the bank HH won’t be moved forward to accomodate Haynes.

Haynes intercept marking isn’t what it was and his disposal one wood is dump kick down the line and doesn’t really suit our game plan. Kingsley has spent 18months on HH to setup our attack from the back half with his disposal and won’t be throwing it out now.

The biggest thing that the coaches ask from our key forwards is make a contest and don’t be beaten. Why didn’t HH make it as a key forward… cause he got beaten in the air too easily.

Derkson to make his debut this week, you are hearing it more and more. Keefe more likely but Derkson played forward on the weekend for the first time this season I think. If they played him forward means they are looking at him as a forward for the AFL

I have never once heard this.
Love the creativity though.

I agree it's unlikely Himmelberg is sent forward to accommodate Haynes even though his form is great.

I was a Keefe naysayer...but I'm coming around on that idea. Briggs needs the help/rest.
just remember where you heard it first when the whispers start to grow and then gets picked this week 😂

just remember where you heard it first when the whispers start to grow and then gets picked this week 😂
Love a bit of inside scoop :D

security watching GIF

How’s this side look?

Idun Taylor Whitfield
Ash Buckley Pez
Ward Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Cadman
Daniels Hogan Jones

Briggs Green Snooze

Fonti Thomas McMullin Peatling/Haynes

Status
Not open for further replies.