Preview Round 22 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants, 1.45pm AEST Sat 10th August, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gru seems to be an excellent VFL player who can't take the step up to AFL standard.

Cadman also doesn't replicate his VFL form, be it by design or application, but has the advantage of being a relief ruckman.

With Riccardi out, that's at least forcing him to be more involved. Not ideal, but needs must.

Tuesday's injury list is all important but right now based on Kingsley's presser:
Kelly for XOH
Keeffe for Gru
(need to ease Briggs' workload. Those shoulders seem to be on the precipice of a season-ending hit).

Talls take time, look at Mac Andrew, he looked almost a bust for some time. Look at him now, looks a jet. I think both Gruz and Cads need a lot more time to develop their bodies and understand the requirements. Learning from the best in Jessie will help them immeasurably.

Talls take time, look at Mac Andrew, he looked almost a bust for some time. Look at him now, looks a jet. I think both Gruz and Cads need a lot more time to develop their bodies and understand the requirements. Learning from the best in Jessie will help them immeasurably.
Very true we just can’t have both in the team at the same time trying to learn and gain experience. Too costly at this time of year.

How’s this side look?

Idun Taylor Whitfield
Ash Buckley Pez
Ward Cogs Kelly
Greene HH Cadman
Daniels Hogan Jones

Briggs Green Snooze

Fonti Thomas McMullin Peatling/Haynes
Even if HH went forward (which he won’t) it wouldn’t be Haynes that came in. Next defender in line is Stone.

Ricca will be back for finals and they aren’t going to mess with the defence balance(which is working) for 3 weeks.

Kenan Thompson Eating GIF by Saturday Night Live

We've won some tight games against some teams around us recently. The Brisbane game feels like a step up and the toughest game in the league ATM.

The momentum feels like it's lifting now. I'd be fine with Kingsley taking some risks on this one. I'm also more than happy for Kelly and Cogs to make sure they come back strong the following week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We've won some tight games against some teams around us recently. The Brisbane game feels like a step up and the toughest game in the league ATM.

The momentum feels like it's lifting now. I'd be fine with Kingsley taking some risks on this one. I'm also more than happy for Kelly and Cogs to make sure they come back strong the following week.
I agree. Only bring Cogs and Kelly in if they are absolutely ready. Freo at home sounds like it could be it.

Who qt the lions plays on Hogan? Are they a little short up back?
They are a bit short down back. Which is one of the reasons I'd like to see Keeffe come into this game. BUT they could be getting Joyce and Hipwood back this week. So it's actually going to be really hard to say what their defensive set up is going to look like until the teams are named.

Most likely it'll be Andrews + Joyce + Lester as talls, Starcevich and Brain as the small/medium defenders, and Zorko and Wilmot as the rebounder. Joyce will probably take Hogan with Andrews trying to cut off the entries, while Lester will give up some height but hope to keep enough body on Cadman to stop marking. Bringing in Keeffe won't make a heap of difference because Andrews will just play off him instead of Gruz - arguably Gruz would be more likely to cause issues because he can get into space quicker than Keeffe which is key against Andrews. Starcevich to take Greene.

If Joyce isn't back, Prior was our other KPD last week and that would be a real disaster. Andrews would have to take Hogan because he'd give Lester or Prior an absolute bath with his combination of strength and reach, and then that removes our main source of turnovers up the field.

Giants:

The Giants' push towards finals will be bolstered by the return of Josh Kelly (calf) ahead of Saturday's clash against the in-form Lions, while Stephen Coniglio (shoulder) may also play should he pass a fitness test later this week. Jake Riccardi (finger) will miss the rest of the season, so Max Gruzewski should get an extended run in the side. However, Wade Derksen (18 disposals, two goals) and Nick Haynes (39 disposals, 12 marks) were among the best at VFL level and will be on standby as key-position options to come into the team. Young duo James Leake (35 disposals, eight clearances) and Conor Stone (25 disposals, seven marks) continue to impress at VFL level. – Riley Beveridge

Last week's sub: Joe Fonti (replaced Max Gruzewski)

Lions:

Providing Eric Hipwood overcomes a sore groin that kept him out of Sunday's win over St Kilda, the rangy forward will return for Saturday's huge match against Greater Western Sydney at the Gabba. He'd likely return straight to the forward line in place of Henry Smith. Darragh Joyce (jaw) will also be tested, with a positive outcome putting him in the frame to rejoin Harris Andrews and Ryan Lester in defence. Bruce Reville did well in the sub role against the Saints and would be an option to come into the 22. Deven Robertson was prolific in the VFL at the weekend, with Jarryd Lyons and Harry Sharp doing well, although at this stage of the season, it's unlikely Chris Fagan would make unforced changes. – Michael Whiting

Last week's sub: Bruce Reville (replaced Charlie Cameron)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back