Preview Round 22 2024 - Brisbane Lions vs GWS Giants, 1.45pm AEST Sat 10th August, Gabba

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Joyce isn't back, Prior was our other KPD last week and that would be a real disaster. Andrews would have to take Hogan because he'd give Lester or Prior an absolute bath with his combination of strength and reach, and then that removes our main source of turnovers up the field.
So, we're hoping that Joyce doesn't make it back.

So, we're hoping that Joyce doesn't make it back.
100%. We got out the Suns game because they're structurally unable to take advantage of any actual advantage. The Saints game we escaped because Max King is already injured and they didn't have anyone to attack Prior as a KPD and our general lack of height. A combination of Hogan, Riccardi and Cadman would be brutal with Prior out there - Gruz instead of Riccardi is safer for the Lions so it's not completely awful, but it'll still be much better for matchups and structure if Joyce is out there.

HT could be due a sub game
potentially.

been a long year for harvey.

He makes great decisions, but recently he has been slowing us down at times, I wondered if that was a fatigue thing.

potentially.

been a long year for harvey.

He makes great decisions, but recently he has been slowing us down at times, I wondered if that was a fatigue thing.
Harvey has had a really good first year but I think McMullin and Jones have gone ahead of him now. Bedford's move to the midfield has ensured there's a spot for all of them until we get more troops back.

Does Brisbane tag?

If so, Lachie has got to be a danger of copping one after his mammoth disposal count at Manuka.

Fonti looks silky by foot.

He may be an important alternative distribution channel if Lachie gets shutdown.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Kelly will help for that as well

Most likely it'll be Andrews + Joyce + Lester as talls, Starcevich and Brain as the small/medium defenders, and Zorko and Wilmot as the rebounder. Joyce will probably take Hogan with Andrews trying to cut off the entries, while Lester will give up some height but hope to keep enough body on Cadman to stop marking. Bringing in Keeffe won't make a heap of difference because Andrews will just play off him instead of Gruz - arguably Gruz would be more likely to cause issues because he can get into space quicker than Keeffe which is key against Andrews. Starcevich to take Greene.

If Joyce isn't back, Prior was our other KPD last week and that would be a real disaster. Andrews would have to take Hogan because he'd give Lester or Prior an absolute bath with his combination of strength and reach, and then that removes our main source of turnovers up the field.
if they put Andrews on one of the kids, they have to get to dangerous spots to take him away from Hogan and/or get a few chances themselves.
Cadman did that pretty well on the weekend.

if they put Andrews on one of the kids, they have to get to dangerous spots to take him away from Hogan and/or get a few chances themselves.
Cadman did that pretty well on the weekend.
Cadmans goal was good. I would like to see Keefe replace Gruzewski, alot depends on what the medical team is saying about Briggs shoulder. Maybe a week off won't help that much, but that means he probably needs an operation at end of the year.
It's important I think to not do a Melbourne here, playing players with broken ribs etc.
Although I think we can tell from Sam Taylor we are doing well in considering what is better longer term for our players.

Briggs likely to miss Saturday's clash. As suspected by posters on this board, Briggs has shoulder soreness.

Keefe to come in should Briggs miss the match.

Key Giant set to miss Lions clash, gun mid to return

There is good and bad news on the injury front for GWS ahead of its game against Brisbane

GREATER Western Sydney has suffered a big blow ahead of arguably the toughest test in the AFL at the moment, against Brisbane at the Gabba, with gun ruck Kieren Briggs almost certain to miss.

The 24-year-old, who is sixth overall in the competition for total clearances, is battling shoulder soreness.

Barring a miraculous recovery, he won't travel north to take on Oscar McInerney at the Gabba on Saturday, with veteran Lachie Keefe set to come in and play his first game of the season.

"Briggsy's managing some shoulder stuff so he's unlikely this week," Giants coach Adam Kingsley said.

"We'll reassess tomorrow but he was sore post game, six day break, travel.

"I don't expect him to get up."

Stephen Coniglio trained fully on Thursday as he fights to return from a shoulder injury, but the Giants will wait to see how he pulls up before guaranteeing his place in the team to face Brisbane.

Fellow gun midfielder Josh Kelly is a certainty to play after fully recovering from a calf injury.

Last edited:
Briggs likely to miss Saturday's clash. As suspected by posters on this board, Briggs has shoulder soreness.

There is good and bad news on the injury front for GWS ahead of its game against Brisbane

GREATER Western Sydney has suffered a big blow ahead of arguably the toughest test in the AFL at the moment, against Brisbane at the Gabba, with gun ruck Kieren Briggs almost certain to miss.

The 24-year-old, who is sixth overall in the competition for total clearances, is battling shoulder soreness.

Barring a miraculous recovery, he won't travel north to take on Oscar McInerney at the Gabba on Saturday, with veteran Lachie Keefe set to come in and play his first game of the season.

"Briggsy's managing some shoulder stuff so he's unlikely this week," Giants coach Adam Kingsley said.

Stephen Coniglio trained fully on Thursday as he fights to return from a shoulder injury, but the Giants will wait to see how he pulls up before guaranteeing his place in the team to face Brisbane.

Fellow gun midfielder Josh Kelly is a certainty to play after fully recovering from a calf injury.
A good call …. Gives him a chance to rest up and gives us a look at Keeffe before finals

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good call …. Gives him a chance to rest up and gives us a look at Keeffe before finals
Not good for us especially given it’s at Brisbane and they are currently the premiership favourites. Keefe’s first AFL match this season is going to be tough, but he is a tough man, and when the going gets tough….

Hopefully, this rest will mean Briggs is fully fit against Freo - I think of the 3 games left in the season, the Fremantle game at our home is the most winnable, and if forced to make a choice I would have a fully fit Briggs vs Freo, than lose him due to aggravating his injury vs Brisbane

Not good for us especially given it’s at Brisbane and they are currently the premiership favourites. Keefe’s first AFL match this season is going to be tough, but he is a tough man, and when the going gets tough….

Hopefully, this test will mean Briggs is fully fit against Freo - I think of the 3 games left in the season, the Fremantle game at our home is the most winnable, and if forced to make a choice I would have a fully fit Briggs vs Freo, than lose him due to aggravating his injury vs Brisbane
yeah, that's why it's a good call

Hehe! Brisbane are still traumatised by the smashing we gave them at Manuka on Anzac Day. They are using that as a motivational tool, but it shows what our team is capable of.

“We’re playing against an opposition team who gave us our worst beating for the year,” Fagan said on Thursday.

“That was probably our low point for the year, so hopefully we can get some redemption.”

Derkson to debut in place of Gruz to provide backup ruck support.

You are hearing it more and more (mostly from me 😂)

Maybe Madden can play next week if he does well in VFL. I assume 3 months off means he will have developed his upper body strength a bit.
It was more about developing his tank - which he seems to have rapidly improved. He's already a strong young fella.
Briggs was a hulking figure at 21, but only managed 60-ish% game time in his early smattering of games.

Last edited:
Josh Kelly and Keefe are back in for Saturday! :D

In - Lachlan Keeffe, Josh Kelly
Out - Kieren Briggs (Managed), Joe Fonti (Omitted)

Backs - 7 Lachie Ash, 15 Sam Taylor, 39 Connor Idun
Half Backs - 6 Lachie Whitfield, 44 Jack Buckley, 36 Harry Perryman
Centre - 8 Callan Ward, 12 Tom Green, 17 Finn Callaghan
Half Forwards - 16 Brent Daniels, 5 Aaron Cadman, 31 Toby McMullin
Forwards - 2 Darcy Jones, 23 Jesse Hogan, 4 Toby Greene
Followers - 25 Lachlan Keeffe, 22 Josh Kelly, 14 Toby Bedford
Interchange - 33 Xavier O'Halloran, 35 Max Gruzewski, 20 James Peatling, 27 Harry Himmelberg, 28 Harvey Thomas

Emergencies - 18 Conor Stone, 30 James Leake, 19 Nick Haynes

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty much what I expected after Briggs was out with his shoulder. Keeffe into the ruck which means we need Gruz in the forward line, for better or for worse. Kingers straight up said that Brown hadn't shown what they wanted at VFL level, so that was really the only option (short of moving a defender up which they've said they don't want to do).

I'm really starting to wonder if we're going to see Cogs come back this season. He's been a test for I'm not sure how many weeks now but just consistently fails to get up. Honestly starting to think it might've been better to just put him in for surgery straight after the injury.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back