Review Round 22, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

In the 30 odd years ive been watching footy i can safely say i have never seen anyone close to JHF. He is his own being, in about 10-15 years we’ll be talking about him to our children how Ablett and Judd are to us right now. The maturity and complete package
Kind of reminds me of Nathan Buckley his balance, hard to tackle, damaging kicking and strong in the air.

Just seen the replay, interesting that the rare rule of "Annoying Max Gawn, Free Kick Melbourne" only ever gets wheeled out against Port!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We beat the umps today too, no doubt about that. Watch this play again and please tell me where the free kick is. Considering the stakes and the time remaining of the game, nothing has convinced me more that there was a directive to try and make Melbourne win this game.

For us to overcome both the umpires AND Melbourne away at the MCG to me speaks volumes, I've never been confident we're about to do damage in September but this is it. Finally. On the back of JHF he will 100% carry us across the line this year.

This is it. We are finally ready.

Here's the worst free kick you'll ever see by the way, umpire has absolutely plucked this out of thin air. Gawn and Sweet have equal hold over each other and he blew the whistle before Drew even laid a finger on Oliver, not that the resulting contact warranted a free anyway.

This is just absolute incompetence.

You know whats funny if Oliver put in the pre season work he was more than capable of running down Butters during his running goal. Had semi intent but goes to show failure to prepare if preparing to fail

Also props to JHF. Got into a fracca with petty i think it was but didnt overstep the line as he has in the past. Maturity.

You know whats funny if Oliver put in the pre season work he was more than capable of running down Butters during his running goal. Had semi intent but goes to show failure to prepare if preparing to fail

Also props to JHF. Got into a fracca with petty i think it was but didnt overstep the line as he has in the past. Maturity.

Lol Oliver has zero chance of chasing down butters in an absolute flat out sprint unless maybe he's on an electric scooter

We beat the umps today too, no doubt about that. Watch this play again and please tell me where the free kick is. Considering the stakes and the time remaining of the game, nothing has convinced me more that there was a directive to try and make Melbourne win this game.

For us to overcome both the umpires AND Melbourne away at the MCG to me speaks volumes, I've never been confident we're about to do damage in September but this is it. Finally. On the back of JHF he will 100% carry us across the line this year.

This is it. We are finally ready.

Here's the worst free kick you'll ever see by the way, umpire has absolutely plucked this out of thin air. Gawn and Sweet have equal hold over each other and he blew the whistle before Drew even laid a finger on Oliver, not that the resulting contact warranted a free anyway.

This is just absolute incompetence.

Bruv fix your filming

But yes I agree, gawns umpiring in particular was ludicrous

Honestly I don't think the filming was actually that bad, I intentionally focused initially on the ruck contest, then I highlighted the Oliver-Drew contest, I tried to get an overall view as well. But nothing stands out as a free kick there. To me the most interesting part was the umpire wasn't even looking at Oliver when he blew the whistle, so it must have been for Gawn. But you can't tell me seriously that Gawn and Sweet didn't have equal hold of each other there.

Honestly I don't think the filming was actually that bad, I intentionally focused initially on the ruck contest, then I highlighted the Oliver-Drew contest, I tried to get an overall view as well. But nothing stands out as a free kick there. To me the most interesting part was the umpire wasn't even looking at Oliver when he blew the whistle, so it must have been for Gawn. But you can't tell me seriously that Gawn and Sweet didn't have equal hold of each other there.

The most egregious error is portrait mode

Yes that is common practice in ruck contests these days. Umps generally don't pay those . Both players holding each other. Then there were the 2 holding the man frees against us in the last that just don't get paid nowadays. It was like watching the maggots in the cheating SANFL.

1. Umps disgraceful
2. Gawn albeit so many free kicks really dominated Sweet, and gave them the clearance result and contested possession count, as they kept getting first hands on the ball.
3. I want Pickett. I like his aggressiveness.
4. Missed Georgi terribly
5. Also missed SPP - this is the kind of game he is needed.

I think this is a good lesson of a game without losing, and it should level us out after last weeks high. Absolutely need to be tougher in the contest.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 22, 2024 vs Melbourne

Remove this Banner Ad

Back