Preview Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Aug 12, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Well, well, well. A few weeks ago and this was expected to be a make or break game for our finals campaign. It now seems to be for a double chance, even a home final. The worm has turned like our scoring worm against the Lions, oh and the Hawks, oh and the Demons ... oh heck and against the Blues. I guess, looking at those worms, that what we need this week is a solid 1st quarter. Still, the pressure applied and willingness to run that our boys have shown the past 5 weeks gives me hope that a deep run in September starts on Saturday.

Did Cads just have his breakout game? Has playing 3rd fiddle held him back a bit? Dunno, to be honest, but I felt something watching him in that last quarter (but FFS, don't play on when Toby has a shot in front). Kingers stated in the post-match yesterday that we are not the finished product ... and this week should be another step, win or lose, to getting out best team on the field. Lachie Keeffe, the much maligned Lachie Keeffe, really stood up yesterday and I wonder if he will keep his spot with Briggsy expected back. Gru kicked a nice goal and played a solid defensive game on Harris at times, but surely Lachie offers a bit more. We might, fingers crossed, get Cogs back, too ... who does he come in for? HT was subbed and maybe running out of steam ... he or XOH seem the most in danger. Unfortunate but Gru and Stone back to the twos with the fully mature Peat now undroppable (what a game!!!!). How about Muff? Do we run the following team?

FB: Idun Taylor Ash
HB: Whitfield Buckley Perryman
C: Kelly Green Ward
HF: Peatling Cadman Greene
FF: Jones Hogan Daniels
Follow: Briggs Callaghan Bedford

IC: (from) Coniglio, Keeffe, Himmelberg, Thomas, O'Halloran

Freo have lost two games on the trot that they should have won so they will be hurting. With a top 4 potentially on the line, I expect them to come out firing. On the personnel front, Treacy must be in doubt still and that leaves a big Kahuna-sized hole in their forward line. Darcy is battling niggles and was a late out with a knee, but I would expect him back this week (makes the Keeffe inclusion valuable). Freo live and die by their clearance work ... not our strong point .... so Bedford to Serong could be a game-changer. I saw Brayshaw concussed Tanner Bruhn yesterday (poor Tanner) so he might be in a little MRO trouble ... that could really help our cause. Let's hope we can repeat last years performance with a big win and boost our percentage.

Heart says 4 goals, head happy with a point!

What do you all think?

Last edited:
Great write-up. Selection is going to be interesting, this week, with so many contributors and a couple of players to come back in. I agree we cannot drop Peatling on his performances ... since he came back into the team: there needs to be reward for doing your job well. With the second ruck position, well that might depend on whether Sean Darcy returns for the game or not. Briggs vs Jackson is different to Briggs vs Darcy and Jackson. Whoever gets dropped out of Gru or Lachie will be a bit stiff: they both did their jobs yesterday.

Great write-up. Selection is going to be interesting, this week, with so many contributors and a couple of players to come back in. I agree we cannot drop Peatling on his performances ... since he came back into the team: there needs to be reward for doing your job well. With the second ruck position, well that might depend on whether Sean Darcy returns for the game or not. Briggs vs Jackson is different to Briggs vs Darcy and Jackson. Whoever gets dropped out of Gru or Lachie will be a bit stiff: they both did their jobs yesterday.
Yeah, fully agree with the ruck options depending on Darcy

Excellent write-up, I love it.

I think Cogs wouldn't like it but playing him as sub might be an option, but unlikely I guess.
I actually wouldn't mind that at all, I think it's a pretty good idea. I don't think Cogs would mind, he'll do whatever's best for the team.

I think the other option would be Thomas, he's been fantastic this year but he's looked like he's flagging a bit the last couple of matches. Could use a game as sub or even a whole game off to be managed (could bring someone like XO in). At the moment my list looks like this:

B: Idun, Taylor, Perryman
HB: Ash, Buckley, Whitfield
C: Ward, Green, Kelly
HF: Daniels, Cadman, McMullin
F: Greene, Hogan, Jones
R: Briggs, Callaghan, Bedford
IC: Himmelberg, Peatling, Keeffe, Thomas
Sub: Cogs

Which at this stage looks absolutely lethal on paper.

IMG_1752.png
Frustrated Son Of A Bitch GIF by CBS

Well, well, well. A few weeks ago and this was expected to be a make or break game for our finals campaign. It now seems to be for a double chance, even a home final. The worm has turned like our scoring worm against the Lions, oh and the Hawks, oh and the Demons ... oh heck and against the Blues. I guess, looking at those worms, that what we need this week is a solid 1st quarter. Still, the pressure applied and willingness to run that our boys have shown the past 5 weeks gives me hope that a deep run in September starts on Saturday.

Did Cads just have his breakout game? Has playing 3rd fiddle held him back a bit? Dunno, to be honest, but I felt something watching him in that last quarter (but FFS, don't play on when Toby has a shot in front). Kingers stated in the post-match yesterday that we are not the finished product ... and this week should be another step, win or lose, to getting out best team on the field. Lachie Keeffe, the much maligned Lachie Keeffe, really stood up yesterday and I wonder if he will keep his spot with Briggsy expected back. Gru kicked a nice goal and played a solid defensive game on Harris at times, but surely Lachie offers a bit more. We might, fingers crossed, get Cogs back, too ... who does he come in for? HT was subbed and maybe running out of steam ... he or XOH seem the most in danger. Unfortunate but Gru and Stone back to the twos with the fully mature Peat now undroppable (what a game!!!!). How about Muff? Do we run the following team?

FB: Idun Taylor Ash
HB: Whitfield Buckley Perryman
C: Kelly Green Ward
HF: Peatling Cadman Greene
FF: Jones Hogan Daniels
Follow: Briggs Callaghan Bedford

IC: (from) Cognilio, Keeffe, Himmelberg, Thomas, O'Halloran

Freo have lost two games on the trot that they should have won so they will be hurting. With a top 4 potentially on the line, I expect them to come out firing. On the personnel front, Treacy must be in doubt still and that leaves a big Kahuna-sized hole in their forward line. Darcy is battling niggles and was a late out with a knee, but I would expect him back this week (makes the Keeffe inclusion valuable). Freo live and die by their clearance work ... not our strong point .... so Bedford to Serong could be a game-changer. I saw Brayshaw concussed Tanner Bruhn yesterday (poor Tanner) so he might be in a little MRO trouble ... that could really help our cause. Let's hope we can repeat last years performance with a big win and boost our percentage.

Heart says 4 goals, head happy with a point!

What do you all think?
Good write up - thanks.

I think that there will only be minimal changes, due to injuries/ players available after injuries. Why change a winning team unnecessarily that has won 6 consecutive matches - win this Freo game, and we’ll be on our (equal) highest winning streak in our history.

Am also interested in Jesse’s performance against his ex-club. He is now the favourite for the Coleman, and a big haul should hopefully widen the gap to Curnow. Jesse is currently on 61 goals (4th highest haul ever in a home and away season by any Giants player), and is rapidly closing in on the club record 67 goals scored by Jeremy in the home and away season when he won our club’s only Coleman medal in 2019.

Good write up - thanks.

I think that there will only be minimal changes, due to injuries/ players available after injuries. Why change a winning team unnecessarily that has won 6 consecutive matches - win this Freo game, and we’ll be on our (equal) highest winning streak in our history.

Am also interested in Jesse’s performance against his ex-club. He is now the favourite for the Coleman, and a big haul should hopefully widen the gap to Curnow. Jesse is currently on 61 goals (4th highest haul ever in a home and away season by any Giants player), and is rapidly closing in on the club record 67 goals scored by Jeremy in the home and away season when he won our club’s only Coleman medal in 2019.
Think he just won the Coleman with Curnow’s ankle injury. Will help make sure it’s not a distraction over the last 2 games

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I imagine this week’s changes will largely depend on the fitness of returning players. Peatling has earnt his spot in the top 22 now and should remain regardless. Harvey Thomas picked a bad week to have a quiet game but I think McMullin has gone past him anyway. Not sure who of Keeffe or Max should make way for Briggs but I’d lean towards the bigger, more experienced man on this occasion.

Coniglio (if fit) for O’Halloran
Briggs (if fit) for Gruzewski
McMullin (if fit) for Stone

Thomas or XO to be sub.

Its Members round. Each member can bring 2 friends for free!!
Lets do our bit for the team and make sure you all bring as many as possible!!!!!!!

On SM-A546E using BigFooty.com mobile app
11,233 during 2017 is our highest ever crowd vs Fremantle at Giants stadium, with 11,356 the overall record attendance vs Fremantle when also counting our Manuka home ground.

I hope we give these crowd numbers a decent nudge, but it is Fremantle so probably not?

I imagine this week’s changes will largely depend on the fitness of returning players. Peatling has earnt his spot in the top 22 now and should remain regardless. Harvey Thomas picked a bad week to have a quiet game but I think McMullin has gone past him anyway. Not sure who of Keeffe or Max should make way for Briggs but I’d lean towards the bigger, more experienced man on this occasion.

Coniglio (if fit) for O’Halloran
Briggs (if fit) for Gruzewski
McMullin (if fit) for Stone

Thomas or XO to be sub.
Would be okay with those changes. I’ll be interested to see how they do accomodate Peatling.

I think he has to make the 23 (I can see him being sub) as a midfielder if he does and not mid/fwd or fwd because that is where he has been playing well. I’d have ward, cogs,Kelly, green, Callaghan ahead of him so the question for me is who gets picked out of Cumming Bedford and peatling

I think we got 7 backs, 7 mids and 8 forwards which would mean 1 of cumming, Bedford or Peatling miss out. I think what Bedford brings to the midfield allows the other mids to get really proactive offensively and he makes a big difference on our transition defence so he keeps his spot the. It would be a question of peatling or cumming getting pushed back to sub. But d probably take peatling in the 22 and use Kelly, Callaghan, ward to cover the wings. Cumming gives great versatility as sub cause he can play wing or defence and gives the option of pushing Whitfield forward if required. If we play peatling or one of the other mids as a forward then we are falling into bad habits of Leon Cameron and will pay for it (squeezing best players in rather than best team with specific roles)

Would be okay with those changes. I’ll be interested to see how they do accomodate Peatling.

I think he has to make the 23 (I can see him being sub) as a midfielder if he does and not mid/fwd or fwd because that is where he has been playing well. I’d have ward, cogs,Kelly, green, Callaghan ahead of him so the question for me is who gets picked out of Cumming Bedford and peatling

I think we got 7 backs, 7 mids and 8 forwards which would mean 1 of cumming, Bedford or Peatling miss out. I think what Bedford brings to the midfield allows the other mids to get really proactive offensively and he makes a big difference on our transition defence so he keeps his spot the. It would be a question of peatling or cumming getting pushed back to sub. But d probably take peatling in the 22 and use Kelly, Callaghan, ward to cover the wings. Cumming gives great versatility as sub cause he can play wing or defence and gives the option of pushing Whitfield forward if required. If we play peatling or one of the other mids as a forward then we are falling into bad habits of Leon Cameron and will pay for it (squeezing best players in rather than best team with specific roles)
yeah, i hate it but you are right

I’d have ward, cogs,Kelly, green, Callaghan ahead of him so the question for me is who gets picked out of Cumming Bedford and peatling
I think all three make our top 23. It's probably Ward and Cumming fighting for that last wing/forward spot. Given Isaac's injury woes, playing sub might be the ideal solution (if he's fit in time for finals anyway).

In that scenario, Harvey Thomas would be the unlucky one to miss the 23.

Just about have my feet back on the ground after Saturday. No one gave us a chance and we're now in the mix for not only top four, but top two.

I thought Keeffe stood up in yet another big game, and if we can beat Brisbane without Briggs, that's great, because he needs time to let his shoulders fully recover. In the same way we've managed without Coniglio, thanks largely to outstanding performances from Peatling. In that last quarter Cadman looked like the player we all hoped he would be and it was great to see Gruzewski hold his nerve when it mattered.

Assuming we win at least one of the next two games and confirm our spot, we won't have Riccardi and Cumming back until finals, so it's a question of who goes out assuming Coniglio comes back before then. It would probably be X or Thomas given the form Peatling is in. We know we can cover for Briggs if his recovery takes longer than expected.

It's going to be massive at Engie Stadium this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back