Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniels is without doubt the most crucial player to our ball movement.
The way he swerves and accelerates immediately upon getting possession is incredible to watch live. He creates so much instant space for himself and then uses it so well nearly every time. Let alone the defensive efforts he brings with tacking and pressure. He’s a terrific player and should be named in the 40 man AA squad at a minimum.

What was that call right near the end of the game where Toby G took a mark in our D50. He took a couple of steps back directly in line with the mark, and they called play on. They are the kind of absolutely ridiculous calls that can make fans skeptical.

To me this was an intersection point of everything wrong with the VFL umpiring department.

One of the subtle points I noticed from the Members wing throughout the game was how long the umpires gave Freo players on the mark and never gave them a ‘hurry up’ or called ‘play on’.

Then that late call against TFG was completely the opposite of their interpretation of time on the mark earlier in the game. The fact that it was TFG with the ball just encouraged the VFL boys to throw him unknowingly to the wolves.

While that incident was very late and probably couldn’t have decided the result, it almost cost us an instant goal against.

The mind boggles as to what manufactured bs we’re going to cop from the umpires next week against the Poodles.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

He missed a few tackles that he’d normally stick

Actually, I had a different perception watching Cogs.

There were one or two moments - particularly around the centre-wing area on the members side of the field where he actively chose not to bump/tackle to spare his shoulder.

Personally, I think that is a smart play as we really want him available for finals.

Love Cogs, but I’d rest him next week and give his shoulder two more weeks to strengthen and recover.

On a positive note, I think the Members wing reaction may have been decisive in getting Hogan’s late 50m call on the non-Members side of the ground at the scoreboard end.

I can’t recollect a louder reaction from the Members wing for a free kick claim on the opposite side of the field.

We’re in an uphill fight re umpiring, but we’re not completely helpless.

On a positive note, I think the Members wing reaction may have been decisive in getting Hogan’s late 50m call on the non-Members side of the ground at the scoreboard end.

I can’t recollect a louder reaction from the Members wing for a free kick claim on the opposite side of the field.

We’re in an uphill fight re umpiring, but we’re not completely helpless.

That was going to be 50 irrespective of the crow it was that obvious. Even Longmuir said it was a 50 in his presser

That was going to be 50 irrespective of the crow it was that obvious. Even Longmuir said it was a 50 in his presser

Maybe, but it appeared a slightly late umpiring call from the distance of the Members wing.

I could be mistaken.

Fairly sure though that there were 5-10 umpire calls or non-calls against us during the game that were far more outrageous.

The sheer unpredictability of umpires calls at GS just does my head in.

Maybe, but it appeared a slightly late umpiring call from the distance of the Members wing.

I could be mistaken.

Fairly sure though that there were 5-10 umpire calls or non-calls against us during the game that were far more outrageous.

The sheer unpredictability of umpires calls at GS just does my head in.

Agree that they made some pretty bad calls but that 50 was soo blatant. Not in the contest and gives a late shoved after the mark was taken.

The holding the ball against Toby was atrocious! Felt like their best avenue to goal was the free kick in front of goals.

Agree that they made some pretty bad calls but that 50 was soo blatant. Not in the contest and gives a late shoved after the mark was taken.

The holding the ball against Toby was atrocious! Felt like their best avenue to goal was the free kick in front of goals.

How blatantly bad were the i50 frees to Freo?

A Hawks fan told me - with complete sincerity - that he’d never seen anything like it(!)

He seemed to take a lot of poor options today and lacked composure under pressure.
He was off today.
But he also came up with one the biggest plays of the match wiinning the big contest of the defensive 50, keeping it front of him and sending it down the corridor for a goal for us.
Good with the bad

Stormy must be close to an AA jacket now
There has been.murmurs this week about picking him.
Playing his big gamees at the right time
Recency bias should help him.

Lachie Ash has received a one match suspension :(

Lachie also received a fine for staging.

Lachie Ash has been banned for one match for a dump tackle in the Giants' match against Fremantle on Saturday.

During the second quarter, Ash pinned the arms of Dockers gun Hayden Young and tackled him to the ground, with Young's head making heavy contact with the ground.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There has been.murmurs this week about picking him.
Playing his big gamees at the right time
Recency bias should help him.
He's been very good all year, so hopefully his name has been there and thereabouts. The spectacular end to the year might just nudge him into the squad. Unfortunately, the way selectors go about it, unless he leads all-comers in stats, I doubt he makes the final team cut.

Lachie Ash has received a one match suspension :(

Lachie also received a fine for staging.

Lachie Ash has been banned for one match for a dump tackle in the Giants' match against Fremantle on Saturday.

During the second quarter, Ash pinned the arms of Dockers gun Hayden Young and tackled him to the ground, with Young's head making heavy contact with the ground.

I checked through what Ash had done for staging one. Surely it wasn’t with 10:35 left in 3rd quarter at kick in where Voss pushes him in the head.

Sent from my iPad using BigFooty.com

Brent Daniels getting plaudits from Kane Cornes. Perhaps he'll have some influence at AA selection?

Yeah agree.Was thinking same thing at the game on members wing.Tv really doesnt capture the atmosphere on the members wing ..Assuming our core grows over the next decade it could be quite volatile in a good way
Atmosphere on tv sounded great. To bad the cameras are aimed at the wrong side.

It’s an old complaint but the tv cameras are aimed at the wrong side, whether there was no choice or not.
Kills the tv product side of things.

Had a rewatch some things I noticed.
Despite kicking 6, Jesse was a a long way off his recent form.
Missed 2 he should have kicked and dropped an easy chest mark in front the obvious ones. But he also ran under another easy mark and the 2 harder kicks. Probably should have been 8 but could have been 11 or 12.. What could have been.
We were off with our handball all night.. missed a lot of easy ones we'd normally make. Darcy Jones and Harry H probably the worst offenders. Both offered plenty else
McMullen is so composed and clean. Not many touches but they are usually good. The hand ball in the first to Jesse from the ball up (when Jesse hit the posi) and the quick launch to Toby in acres of space where he missed on the run were great moments.
Most importantly we should have put them away in the first. Let the off the hook with some missed opportunity.
We are looking good for finals with plenty more gears left

Had a rewatch some things I noticed.
Despite kicking 6, Jesse was a a long way off his recent form.
Missed 2 he should have kicked and dropped an easy chest mark in front the obvious ones. But he also ran under another easy mark and the 2 harder kicks. Probably should have been 8 but could have been 11 or 12.. What could have been.
We were off with our handball all night.. missed a lot of easy ones we'd normally make. Darcy Jones and Harry H probably the worst offenders. Both offered plenty else
McMullen is so composed and clean. Not many touches but they are usually good. The hand ball in the first to Jesse from the ball up (when Jesse hit the posi) and the quick launch to Toby in acres of space where he missed on the run were great moments.
Most importantly we should have put them away in the first. Let the off the hook with some missed opportunity.
We are looking good for finals with plenty more gears left
Fair points - the way I optimistically see it is if we are winning (an equal club record 7 straight), when not playing well or for the full 4 quarters, then there is plenty of upside for us as the finals approaches? Unlike Kingsley’s debut last year, we will also now have the double chance as well as hosting (at least) 1 home game

Brent Daniels (GWS)

“I loved his game,” Cornes said.

“29 disposals, three goals, 13 tackles, seven clearances and the best small forward in football, albeit Dylan Moore is pretty close. I think they’re the two clear standouts right now. Charlie Cameron has had a down year, Tom Papley would be in the mix but is injured.”

Buckley added: “They are two (small forwards) who are heading into the midfield. That high forward role has always been such a disciplined position to play, a lot of pressure to put on the opposition. Daniels and Moore are definitely the two that are taking off in that regard.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 23 2024 - Good guys vs. Jesse's ex-girl, 1:45pm AEST Sat 17th August, Engie Stadium

Remove this Banner Ad

Back