Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Playing a home game against them at the MCG in 2021?

Although I can't quite remember who exactly was responsible for that decision.
Covid lockdown in WA.

If it happened 24 hrs earlier Freo could have stayed in Melbourne and not worry about flying back and forth in 48 hrs.

It really screwed us as the last qtr we just faded. The travel got us.

I don't want limping into the finals because Carlton lose.

I want us to make a statement.

I want JL to make a statement!

Talk of JOM not getting dropped because he is the leadership group is poor leadership by JL and match committee. Other clubs have not played their captains when out of form. Mitchell has taken a stance when playing aren't performing or out of line. Look what standards that has driven at the hawks.

Drop the players that didn't perform (JOM, Banfield, Tabs, Voss, Freddy Etc) and they to the guys coming in this is your chance to prove yourself) chance to set a standard not only for this year but the coming years.

Now go out and get it done....

Talk of JOM not getting dropped because he is the leadership group is poor leadership by JL and match committee. Other clubs have not played their captains when out of form. Mitchell has taken a stance when playing aren't performing or out of line. Look what standards that has driven at the hawks.

Drop the players that didn't perform (JOM, Banfield, Tabs, Voss, Freddy Etc) and they to the guys coming in this is your chance to prove yourself) chance to set a standard not only for this year but the coming years.

JOM and Banners need to be dropped due to poor form, let them play for Peel and perform well like Hughes and Brodie

I also want us to turn it around and show the previous form we had, it is quite the ask all things considered though.

At the end of the day I'm quite ok if it's Carlton that screws up and gets us in there though.

We is a strong chance this weekend I say.

We just need to bring a full pressure game and be the hunters.

It's good the Giants won last weekend. We can steel ourselves for the challenge.

Four quarters though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Biggest issues with Freo is we are soft as butter.
The reason why teams love to play us as they know pressure will kill our ball movement.
We fall apart too easily and don't return the pressure.
I wouldn't say we are soft.

Geelong brought massive heat last week the pressure gauge was at 243 in the 1st quarter.

I cant see many teams being able to do much when the opposition swarms you like that.

I actually felt we did well to get the game back on even keel and hit the front after absorbing it.

It was more we then went back to our defensive mode in the last quarter with slow play buildup and no dare.

Man we're all West Coast supporters this week. Tank the GWS game and go all in on Port. If we're lucky Carlton lose and this strategy works out.

If we make finals and get our B22 back and fit, anything could happen.

I want Carlton to lose. No way I'm a West Coast supporter this week or any week..😉

I think this is a defining game for this group. The easy thing to do would be to head over, show some fight for a while then fold to the 25 or 30 point defeat that the vast majority of the AFL public expect.

We could head back quietly to Perth, the team comforting themselves with the fact that some key players were injured, we were unlucky, and that old chestnut we are still young.
There is always next year. Next year. And the year after.
And the year after.

Potential. The post dangerous word in professional sport. Success is always just around the corner. We just have to wait until Andy and Caleb are 26 and 24, instead of 23 and 25. We just need to wait until Alex Pearce and Sean Darcy are fit instead of injured.
Next year.

Or
The group could make a stand. Make a statement to the competition that we are a force, not just this year but for the next few years. Like paddy Dangerfield and Geelong last weekend, we could just refuse to accept defeat.

GWS are decent but there is certainly a vulnerable underbelly in that team if we show up in the right frame of mind.

I reckon this is the biggest game we have played since the 2022 finals series. There is SO MUCH at stake this Saturday. AFL careers are short and fleeting. There is zero guarantee that our star players will play top level football well into their 30s. As someone pointed out on another thread, it’s harder for WA players. Fyfe and sonny’s post age 30 careers are but pale shadows of their former glory. David Mundy is an exception rather than a rule.

We just have to find a way to win this Saturday. No excuses, no talk of futures. There is no other option. It will be an unbelievable waste of a season if we don’t.

Biggest issues with Freo is we are soft as butter.
The reason why teams love to play us as they know pressure will kill our ball movement.
We fall apart too easily and don't return the pressure.
We can and do apply plenty of pressure when we are playing well but yes other teams know if they bring high pressure we seem to mentally crumble especially going forward with the ball.
It's all Geelong did on the weekend and they could still only squeak out a win.. they are not a good side.

I think this is a defining game for this group. The easy thing to do would be to head over, show some fight for a while then fold to the 25 or 30 point defeat that the vast majority of the AFL public expect.

We could head back quietly to Perth, the team comforting themselves with the fact that some key players were injured, we were unlucky, and that old chestnut we are still young.
And the year after.

Potential. The post dangerous word in professional sport. Success is always just around the corner. We just have to wait until Andy and Caleb are 26 and 24, instead of 23 and 25. We just need to wait until Alex Pearce and Sean Darcy are fit instead of injured.
Next year.

Or
The group could make a stand. Make a statement to the competition that we are a force, not just this year but for the next few years. Like paddy Dangerfield and Geelong last weekend, we could just refuse to accept defeat.

GWS are decent but there is certainly a vulnerable underbelly in that team if we show up in the right frame of mind.

I reckon this is the biggest game we have played since the 2022 finals series. There is SO MUCH at stake this Saturday. AFL careers are short and fleeting. There is zero guarantee that our star players will play top level football well into their 30s. As someone pointed out on another thread, it’s harder for WA players. Fyfe and sonny’s post age 30 careers are but pale shadows of their former glory. David Mundy is an exception rather than a rule.

We just have to find a way to win this Saturday. No excuses, no talk of futures. There is no other option. It will be an unbelievable waste of a season if we don’t.
We are missing our two most important players and Sean Darcy playing a top 4 side away who have won like 6 in a row. Can we not have a slight disclaimer that there is a slight excuse to not win but no excuse for it not to be competitive like Geelong.

Like, this would be an incredible win if they pulled it off.

And the year after.

Next year.

Or

I don't disagree with a lot of that, I'd be wanting the team to ignore the outs and focus on what they can do.

The reality is the only team we've beaten away this year that isn't in the bottom 6 right now is Sydney by 1 point.
Clearly they haven't had the greatest run since then, and they had the chance to draw or win it.
We've lost to Carlton, Port, Bulldogs, Hawks and Essendon.

As we've gone over we've lost a fair few close games, and haven't been quite good enough this year.
Regardless of what happens in finals I'd like us to be setting up for success, which means showing the right form and pushing into the finals.

But I also disagree it's a complete waste if we don't get there, disappointing yes, but we've been more consistent and shown signs of a good brand of footy. We have to take that forward no matter what happens, we have to be hungry to improve and actually take the next step whether it's this year or next.

Carlton has never given us any favours. They will win this weekend.

It does seem like the WCE boys are very invested in Schoefield so will likely be pretty motivated to keep performing well to help his cause.

It does seem like the WCE boys are very invested in Schoefield so will likely be pretty motivated to keep performing well to help his cause.
Jamie Cripps 250th and Andrew Gaff last game in front of the home crowd. They will definitely get up. Favourites to win now and will probably win comfortably.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 23 Changes vs. GWS Giants

Remove this Banner Ad

Back