Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Who were your five best players against St. Kilda?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Kiddy is the best tackler in the team.

Makes some of his more physically built teammakes look like wimps.

I thought he was very good today. In our best handful of players.

New team rule.

Harris and Payne can do a max of 1 kick to one another and no handballs. It’s hard to watch.

They both start doing their short loopy kicking and because of their long legs or what not, the distance between them starts reducing.. before they know it they are close to each other and then panic stations haha.

oscar put in a good shift against a ruck in all-australian form

Didn't look down and focus on the other ruck - tick
Kept focusing on the ball - tick
Followed through after the first ruck contest - tick
Got 8 clearances as well ! - double tick

THE GOOD

Top 2! Much better placed to actually use it this time vs 2019/2020

Finals prep - we have had some tough opponents and now a week off when we need it more than most

Neale right back in form

Payne - maybe turning the corner?

Zorks also right back in form. He will love 2 weeks off over next month if we can manage it

Winning another close one - not convincing but we were all over them for large parts of the last quarter

THE BAD

That midfield mix. It’s just off. Lyons was okay at times but just not the ball magnet he was. And he puts the rotations. Dev is not as good wing. Dunkley seemed off. Lyons is sub i think.

Lohmann’s hunger around goals - could have had a couple of goal assists. Not a good look. I think he played himself out of QF team.

Kick-ins - have looked better post rich but not tonight. Maybe McKenna needs a spell from them but Starce can’t take them with his confidence right now.

THE UGLY

Goal-kicking - could sense it very early on.

Giving teams a run-on - just got to tighten this up. Happened last 2 weeks in third quarters. The defence has looked a bit panicky at times in the past fortnight

My wife - reckons we will not make it to the qf…

THE GOOD

Top 2! Much better placed to actually use it this time vs 2019/2020

Finals prep - we have had some tough opponents and now a week off when we need it more than most

Neale right back in form

Payne - maybe turning the corner?

Zorks also right back in form. He will love 2 weeks off over next month if we can manage it

Winning another close one - not convincing but we were all over them for large parts of the last quarter

THE BAD

That midfield mix. It’s just off. Lyons was okay at times but just not the ball magnet he was. And he puts the rotations. Dev is not as good wing. Dunkley seemed off. Lyons is sub i think.

Lohmann’s hunger around goals - could have had a couple of goal assists. Not a good look. I think he played himself out of QF team.

Kick-ins - have looked better post rich but not tonight. Maybe McKenna needs a spell from them but Starce can’t take them with his confidence right now.

THE UGLY

Goal-kicking - could sense it very early on.

Giving teams a run-on - just got to tighten this up. Happened last 2 weeks in third quarters. The defence has looked a bit panicky at times in the past fortnight

My wife - reckons we will not make it to the qf…
In what way did dunkley seem off ???
Kept steele relatively quiet gave him no space at all. If you actually watch the game properly instead of just stat's you'd see the hard yards dunkley does week in week out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

At the game. He could barely run. While St Kilda was transitioning the ball he just jogged along behind the play from one end and back again.

Got to a point where he was shifted to the forward line, because he couldn’t run with the midfield.

There comes a point where a player becomes a net liability. That time is now for Lyons.

Lohmann isn’t up to speed with the game yet, but he’s young and still needs to learn the game. And he still defers to more senior players in some parts of the game (except when he’s got the ball in the forward 50 with a chance to get ball to foot).
He started in the forward line against Collingwood. I don’t think he is being hidden there, I actually think he has a role at forward half stoppages. Laid two great tackles that resulted in frees for. Perhaps the solution is McCarthy in Lyon’s out and then back in as sub.

OMG when Payne has it and looks around and decides to go short just turn away.
Payne, Coleman, Starcevich and Andrews - it is heart in the mouth stuff sometimes.

If there is any more talk of how Ross Lyon brilliantly restricted our scoring, I'll do a Terry Wallace and spew up.

Unless Ross was channeling voodoo and sticking pins in effigies of our players, the only thing that restricted our scoring was our dreadful inaccuracy.

9.18 could have and quite easily should have been 16.11 or even 18.9.

And oh boy, did the Saints get some charity stuff from the umpires.

Apart from a poor 10 or 15 minutes at the beginning of the third quarter, we were comprehensively the better team.

It's entirely hypothetical of course but I'm curious as to where the Expected Score for tonight's game lands

EDIT

Oops.

Just saw it it in the post by Tom14.

So yeah.....a "moral" eight goal win

Last edited:

Even worse than I expected.

Yeah I thought the silver lining to our poor accuracy was that we did take quite a bit of challenging shots. Still a positive way to show that we really were firing on a good number of cylinders and that goal kicking was really the only hang up.

Top 2 locked. Saints not on our level, clearly. Should have been 50 points and over at half time, but as we often do, we made life hard.

Awesome effort to get top 2. Form is patchy tbh, but everything is in place for a GF appearance, just gotter hold our nerve, which I worry about.

Bring it on.

Initial thoughts. How the * was that a free kick against McCluggage for not passing the ball to the umpire. Most bizarre free kick I have ever seen lol.

Looked like Hugh tossed it to Oscar because he thought that was the best way to get the ball the Umpire for the ball up.

I'd have to have another look at it but wasn't Hugh completely surrounded by Saints players after just being gang tackled?

We get keep getting told to appreciate and respect umpires but they sometimes they really ask for it when they act like precious little whistle happy twerps.

How about applying a bit of common sense?

Our switching this year has been mostly excellent but Lyon's clogging of space just caused a lot of unnecessary panic at times by our defenders. Every time we actually moved the ball quickly and definitively we carved them up. Much like the kicking for goal I think it was just one of those games.

Think we'll enjoy the pre-finals bye more than most, felt like there's a few guys out there looking quite sore and a freshen up will do wonders.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2023 - Brisbane Lions vs. St. Kilda

Back