Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

I’d like to see the our list sucks comment in black and white and in what content it was said in.
I just had a read of it, basically saying the list wasn’t one of the best in the competition.
It’s not saying it sucks but still not a smart thing to say.
Davies didn’t even say that. I went back and actually listened to the Davies interview on SEN.

The context was that King and Cornes were insinuating that the list wasn’t good enough, and Davies was saying “whether it’s good enough or not remains to be seen because at the moment we aren’t getting the maximum possible out of it.” One of the fundamental flaws that needed to be addressed was ground ball gets, which Hinkley said the midfield coach had been working on since the bye on one game.

Davies then said that if we fix all the issues we have and it still turns out that the list isn’t good enough, we will address those issues in the off-season and front up again in 2025, because he’d rather address the deficiencies of a team that finished third than those of a team that finished at the bottom of the ladder. Said that this was the reason they went and got guys like Soldo, Sweet, Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher - but that this hadn’t quite worked just yet (Port was still too easy to score against at the time).

None of the statements Davies made were unreasonable by anyone who saw the performances against Carlton, GWS and Brisbane.

They still don’t rate us. Lloyd confident the premier comes from the Swans vs Giant QF winner. Let’s grit the teeth and keep this maniacal brand of tough, team footy going.

I thought that was a bit odd, considering the 20 goal pummeling we gave the Swans a few weeks ago.

What did we think of Meads game? Hes probably the one player that has gone backwards during our win streak.

Found the ball today but only 44% disposal efficiency. Better than the last 2 weeks at least.
Good improvement on last week. Needs more composure and to practice not kicking the ball with his shin

I think Mead is a surprise packet he is showing much more than I expected and I think he is capable of much more as he continues to develop. I think the likes of JHF is impacting his game.
Wake up Rozee you are being left behind.
Is it Mead that us pushing up into the middle to allow JHF to roam forward?

It feels very similar to the Melbourne and Richmond set ups with Dusty and Petracca

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

They still don’t rate us. Lloyd confident the premier comes from the Swans vs Giant QF winner. Let’s grit the teeth and keep this maniacal brand of tough, team footy going.
Expect this to happen for next 3 weeks.

Long on his segment today said “Carlton should thank Freeo for not showing up and being disciplined enough”

Port fans asking for Mead to be dropped after one bad game were crazy. Thought he was very solid

His ground ball pickups in the first half were sublime - consistently one-grabbed the ball and never fumbled.

He's become a very good player. So much of Josh Carr in the way he plays. No doubt Josh has had a big impact on him.

He's certainly exceeded my expectations. I thought he was on the scrapheap at the end of last year - just didn't see a position for him in the side and didn't think he was hard enough at the footy. Described him as a "neat" player who does a lot of things right, is a good decision maker and uses the ball well, but doesn't have any oomph about him.

Certainly proving me wrong.

The development of guys like Mead, Burgoyne, Farrell and Lachie Jones are a big reason why this team have become very hard to beat.

I was impressed by the way the players refused to take crap from the opposition too. Like when that neanderthal bozo knocked over Georgie, Trav and JHF were straight up in his face letting him know we won't cop that.

We've been pretty meek in the past against teams that try to bully us, especially away from Adelaide Oval (or the crows on it) but that's not happening any more. And nothing stupid, just letting people know we're not going to take their crap.

Again I come back to Selwood's talk after the Gold Coast game, where JHF had to do it all on his own and gave away free kicks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ryan running through Georgiades and high fiving every one of his teammates on the way back thinking he was top shit only to be beaten by Georgiades 30 seconds later was pretty funny
That whole situation was a glitch from the umps. How the hell was he allowed to barrel into a player with his back turned when he was clearly out of bounds? The play on call was just as baffling.

guys im really worried abt rozee. this week he had 0 score involvments.
As I said, Ken mentioned that he was sick during the week, so potentially he was still feeling the after effects. Energy levels low etc.

He has been a bit up and down this season, but he has lifted at key moments.

I think Ken may give him a bit of a mini rocket prior to the next game to propel him further - the exciting thing is that we've won 8 of the last 9 with Rozee not close to his best. Lots of room for improvements.

What did we think of Meads game? Hes probably the one player that has gone backwards during our win streak.

Found the ball today but only 44% disposal efficiency. Better than the last 2 weeks at least.

I was surprised by that DE stat, I assume it's because he gets the ball in tight and bangs it forward to advantage if not to a target. I didn't recall many turnovers.

I liked his game, much better than the past couple of weeks. Gets low to the ground, takes the ball cleanly and turned a few players inside out with his movement.

Those Freo fans should learn a few rules . Carried on like Romans at the Colosseum every time there was a blatant Port free kick. Umps got sucked in a bit

The insufficient intent calls were my favourite.

I was surprised by that DE stat, I assume it's because he gets the ball in tight and bangs it forward to advantage if not to a target. I didn't recall many turnovers.

I liked his game, much better than the past couple of weeks. Gets low to the ground, takes the ball cleanly and turned a few players inside out with his movement.
He has improved out of sight this year. Are we brave enough to compare him to Roger James yet?

He has improved out of sight this year. Are we brave enough to compare him to Roger James yet?

Physically he is like Roger, that compact body with a low centre of gravity. But Roger had some sublime skills, so he's not there yet.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back