Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

i love how willie does nothing for 3 qtrs, then turns it on in the last.
Was at the game, really frustrating how we were kicking it high and long to Willie playing on Walker, who has 11cm on him and generally plays tall as well.

Willie did well to not get beaten, but struggled to impact initially. The one time the ball hit the deck, Willie was going to get there but got tugged back and no free called.

The list wasn’t good enough last year, our 13 in a row was carried by the midfield, once they dropped off it was all over.
Off season recruitment has definitely improved our team.

The main difference this year to last is the competition has fallen away drastically.
We have been consistent without being great while others around us shoot themselves in the foot.
In the end it doesn’t matter, it’s all about winning the flag.
If we do that the players and coaching staff all deserve credit.
If we fail they all take the blame with the most likely outcome that the coach gets the sack.
Anyone who believes booing Ken has turned him into a better coach is delusional.
The players have taken it on themselves, Ken is the same shit coach he’s always been.
Nah, the first part is rubbish! The list has been GF ready since the Covid year ... certainly as good as any other, with flaws, but no worse than the eventual winner ... eg: Frampton says "hi". It just wasnt prepared well, and the game plan was just not compatible with finals footy.

As for the booing .. I dont like it, but IMO there is no doubt it sparked changes in the coaches and players, similar to what happened last year after Tredrea's "untenable" call. Your refusal to even acknowledge a correlation is actually delusional! .... The very next game McEntee was dropped, and from that game on there was an immediate change to the press, and a more contested style of play, that has only got better with each game. IMO it galvanised the players, as well as the coaches.

Sorry mate, but your being unable to see the change in game style and player accountability says something about your understanding of the game.

Last edited:
Another good game from Burgoyne. He’s such a consistent performer.

He still wows me when he lays a strong tackle or takes a strong contested mark. Did that yesterday. Can still remember that strong chest mark in our forward line up against a bigger opponent

The list has been GF ready since the Covid year

2013: too early
2014-2015: ✅
2016: WADA
2017-2018: ✅
2019: too early
2020-2024: ✅

that obviously doesn’t mean we should’ve made it/won a flag every year, just that internal expectations/resources/talent/opportunities meant it should have been within the realms of possibility.

Nah, the first part is rubbish! The list has been GF ready since the Covid year ... certainly as good as any other, with flaws, but no worse than the eventual winner ... eg: Frampton says "hi". It just wasnt prepared well, and the game plan was just not compatible with finals footy.

As for the booing .. I dont like it, but IMO there is no doubt it sparked changes in the coaches and players, similar to what happened last year after Tredrea's "untenable" call. Your refusal to even acknowledge a correlation is actually delusional! .... The very next game McEntee was dropped, and from that game on the was an immediate change to the press, and a more contested style of play, that has only got better with each game. IMO it galvanised the players, as well as the coaches.

Sorry mate, but your being unable to see the change in game style and player accountability says soemthing about your understanding of the game.
So what a waste of 12 years, all we had to do is boo Ken 11 years ago and we would have won more flags than South America has.
I’m sure you also believe the players only play good to keep Ken in a job.
Once that’s done it’s off to the Greyhounds until the next extension.
I wish everyone in this world thought like that, I’d have more money than Warren Buffett.

So what a waste of 12 years, all we had to do is boo Ken 11 years ago and we would have won more flags than South America has ... (See below)
I’m sure you also believe the players only play good to keep Ken in a job.... (Nope I dont)
Once that’s done it’s off to the Greyhounds until the next extension.... :confusedv1:
I wish everyone in this world thought like that, I’d have more money than Warren Buffett.... :roflv1:
No Ken was OK for his first 4 years (Max) ... Then he hit his ceiling. ABSOLUTE waste of the last 8 years! And not only a waste, but it has damaged the club by contributing to 'tearing the supporter base apart!' You & I are the living example!

I thought the commentary was garbage. I thought the VFL twats were bias, but Damn...
Will and Pav were special comments and they were measured and reasonably good and talked on the game and tactics.
Both of those guys aren't VFL. Will was a West Coast player and Pav was a Freo player with links to Port.
I would say I actually liked hearing Will Schofield the whole time.
It was a breath of fresh air.

I never felt they were bias or had an agenda the whole time which is now weirdly abnormal in the AFL. They just talked footy.

I might have to watch the replay again but that's how I recalled it.

So what a waste of 12 years, all we had to do is boo Ken 11 years ago and we would have won more flags than South America has.

About Time Phone GIF by John Crist Comedy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’m sure you also believe the players only play good to keep Ken in a job.
Once that’s done it’s off to the Greyhounds until the next extension.
I wish everyone in this world thought like that, I’d have more money than Warren Buffett.
You have a very unlikeable combination of being very smug all the time and very wrong all the time. Don't be mad at us because we have pattern recognition and you don't.

Will and Pav were special comments and they were measured and reasonably good and talked on the game and tactics.
Both of those guys aren't VFL. Will was a West Coast player and Pav was a Freo player with links to Port.

I never felt they were bias or had an agenda the whole time which is now weirdly abnormal in the AFL. They just talked footy.

We were lucky Gerard Healy wasn't commentating. That guy has a hard on for Freo. Every missed free for Freo would have been highlighted while crickets for Ports

You have a very unlikeable combination of being very smug all the time and very wrong all the time. Don't be mad at us because we have pattern recognition and you don't.
Example of Smugness

Jed gets named as an emergency every Sunday game and people that don’t understand football are like 'bLoOdY jED aGaIn rabble rabble rabble' and then he doesn't actually play and then because everybody has the memory of a Goldfish we do the same thing for our next Sunday game.

Where was your patten recognition last year when you was native enough to believe the BF BS that Carr was taking over at years end😂
Oh your my hero, now jump into your Limited Edition Hayes Ferrari that’s if your heads big enough to fit in it. 😉

Example of Smugness

Jed gets named as an emergency every Sunday game and people that don’t understand football are like 'bLoOdY jED aGaIn rabble rabble rabble' and then he doesn't actually play and then because everybody has the memory of a Goldfish we do the same thing for our next Sunday game.

Where was your patten recognition last year when you was native enough to believe the BF BS that Carr was taking over at years end😂
Oh your my hero, now jump into your Limited Edition Hayes Ferrari that’s if your heads big enough to fit in it. 😉
I see from this post that not only do you not possess pattern recognition, you don't even have an understanding of what pattern recognition is. A quick Google would be your friend.

I thought it sounded like they had actually watched port play before and knew something about how we play. It was a big change and a good one.

I think one of the reasons Port has been so thoroughly dismissed by all the experts leading into the finals is that a lot of the "experts" only watch port play once or twice a year. Iti s also why JHF has been so undervalued by those same experts in the last 6 weeks. The attitude on the shows last night had changed a bit because we had the stand-alone game that "experts" watched to see if Carlton would make the finals.

I see from this post that not only do you not possess pattern recognition, you don't even have an understanding of what pattern recognition is. A quick Google would be your friend.
You have limited recognition of what you’re saying.
Saying Jed should be left to rot in the sanfl.
He’s not my favorite player also but he’s trying to make a living, if you had half a brain you’d understand it’s not his fault he’s being picked to play.
You need to seek help as I’m sure you suffer from illusory truth effect.

Thought we didn’t play all that well but looking back in hindsight, we were 15 points up against a side desperate to make finals. They kick two goals, get within 2 points with 12 minutes left. We really had nothing to play for at that point but to then put the foot down and win by 20 points was real gritty. There’s something different about this side.

Was at the game, really frustrating how we were kicking it high and long to Willie playing on Walker, who has 11cm on him and generally plays tall as well.

Willie did well to not get beaten, but struggled to impact initially. The one time the ball hit the deck, Willie was going to get there but got tugged back and no free called.
You can't keep a good Willie down for too long, the longer the game goes on the more Willie stands up.

Not the best.

Walker played him pretty well until late in the game when Willie got off the leash.

I thought it sounded like they had actually watched port play before and knew something about how we play. It was a big change and a good one.

I think one of the reasons Port has been so thoroughly dismissed by all the experts leading into the finals is that a lot of the "experts" only watch port play once or twice a year. Iti s also why JHF has been so undervalued by those same experts in the last 6 weeks. The attitude on the shows last night had changed a bit because we had the stand-alone game that "experts" watched to see if Carlton would make the finals.
Yeah, they were knowledgeable, analytical, humble and said things that mattered in the game.

They also didn't try to one up the other commentators or each other and complemented each other.

They weren't bias and called the game and comments on the merits of the game.

No real hyperbole or trying to impress. Just good special comments.

It was great.

I'm a big Will Schofield fan because of it and have always liked Pav but he was good too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 24, 2024 vs Fremantle

Remove this Banner Ad

Back