Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

When our coach opens a press conference with 'the first 3 and a bit quarters were good', then there's our problem!

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

The first 3 and half quarters weren’t even good. It was a very poor game from start to finish, not really much improvement from the week before. The only difference being that the opposition weren’t good enough to put us away earlier like Collingwood did.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Without being a complete muppet, I don't think it's unreasonable the players receive some verbal feedback from Port supporting people when out in the general public this week.
I remember when the players got boo’d off after the 21 Prelim loss. Rozee’s mum got on a facebook group, sooked it up then said ‘money talks’ when someone suggested he should change clubs.

Lycett at best nullifies the centre bounce
He used to. Now he doesn't even do that. ROB is one of the worst tap rucks in the league but still managed to have 6 hitouts to advantage to 1 at half time.

He used to. Now he doesn't even do that. ROB is one of the worst tap rucks in the league but still managed to have 6 hitouts to advantage to 1 at half time.
More annoying is his complete inability to mark, or cover the ground, when we desperately needed him to drop into the defensive hole to help a struggling short defence he was absent. Contrast that with Obrien who intercepted repeated attacks.by dropping into the hole.

More annoying is his complete inability to mark, or cover the ground, when we desperately needed him to drop into the defensive hole to help a struggling short defence he was absent. Contrast that with Obrien who intercepted repeated attacks.by dropping into the hole.
Watching him last night, Lycett just doesn't seem to have any speed and agility any more. Anytime he tried to pick up the ball or try to do anything a bit clever he just looked a bit like a baby giraffe.

It feels like a parallel universe, we are in the situation the Crows were in 96. Put right by a new seasoned coach immediately sacking the captain and vice captain.

Lycett at best nullifies the centre bounce and then that’s it, I can’t think of a ruckman he could beat in the afl.. perfect example of a plodder

finlayson just cant be rucking against a recognized ruckman.. he gets destroyed.

Teakle plays scared and isn’t good enough to Ruck at centre bounces

No wonder lycett looked good in preseason, rucking against part time ruckman

So it has to be play hayes or visentini with Dixon as chop out.

I have a problem with Dixon being used in the ruck. When Charlie goes into the ruck our forward line suffers and on top of that he is approaching 33 and given his history with injuries he needs to be nursed a bit, playing in the ruck is not the place to do that. Finlayson did OK last year and has shown he can have an effect at the bounce even if it is not all tap work. I have no problem with giving Sam Hayes another try but from what I saw on Saturday I think it is a bit early for Visentini. There was nothing wrong with Hayes' ruckwork last year, the problem Hinkley had was that he thought Sam was not doing enough in the field play. Hayes is younger than Lycett and his younger engine can possibly go a bit longer than Lycett who will be 31 at season's end.

I would go with Hayes supported by Finlayson. Hayes is out of contract this year and if he cannot get a game he will probably walk.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Whoever was the brain child of Jonas on Rankine should just hand back their keys
It was awful but who is the ideal Jonas match up? A medium sized not too fast 3rd best forward? I'm probably describing someone playing at South Adelaide, which is who he should be matching up on next week.

It was awful but who is the ideal Jonas match up? A medium sized not too fast 3rd best forward? I'm probably describing someone playing at South Adelaide, which is who he should be matching up on next week.

Either Walker or Gollant. Even Pedlar would have worked better

Just on Pedlar. He was the only player in their forward line who didn't give me vibes of being a complete flog, so I guess there's that.
He reminds me of a 90's crows player with that head and weird tattoo. In short, a flog.

Well, we can take comfort in the fact two undefeated teams have our ex players at full back.
Was ropeable when Howard was traded & also how he was stuffed around prior to that with being moved forward. His injury did affect his form but he was not allowed to settle in defence. Who is the second player?

I thought Bergman played well. His leg is a weapon. Pity it's wasted on the fast break when our forwards are still in the back half.
He can boot a ball, but is a terrible decision maker. Took a strong mark on back flank in the first quarter. Then goes back and chips it 25m to Drew in a one on one. Later that quarter boots the ball 60m to a 3 on 1 when could have hit up Finlayson with a 20m pass all alone.

The size difference between clurey and thilthorpe was comical.

Aliir is the only one with a bit of height and some athleticism, and he isn't a great 1v1 defender. He's also only 195cm.

Pretty much every side has a 200cm+ big boy up there now.
I know it happens but I think one of Thilthorpe's goals where he lead and kicked a goal, Bonner was on him.

At least a more even playing field re umpires. Obrien had better of lycett. Dawson a player of substance. Our defence obvious missed burton, and could be on going problem. Dixon kept us in game. Good game to watch, a rebound against sydney will be a challenge.

You obviously haven't been to many Port games. It was quiet as hell.

The only moment the crowd got going was the SPP goal in the last. Other than that, crickets.

It sounded like the atmosphere you get at a Crows game.
Really? I thought the pregame was one of the loudest. I've done both crows (only once will never do it again) and Port. Thought the crowd was really loud until the last 10 minutes of the last quarter. The thing I don't understand is why Port supporters bring their crow friends to the game.

I haven't sat behind the goals for longer than I care to remember and freely admit I haven't been a regular attendee at Power games for quite some time as well, but I do watch every game live on Fox, and with the front on tv view Jonas regularly trails his man to the ball, which I just assumed was mainly due to his lack of any pace, but if as you say `he just doesn't go when his man leads to the ball,' then geez no wonder the defence has become such a shambles.

If that is its leader and club captain's modus operandi it could suggest there may have been something more to his and Aliirs finger pointing at each other against the wobblers.
Maybe Jones trails his man to the ball but you can't say he's slow - he's one of our fatest runners. edited fastest... :)

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back