Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

lol they're actually better than us now.

Probably the 50th time a team has gone past us with Hinkley as coach

and still we persist with the same s**t... absolutely pathetic

Anyway I wanted to win in the bars but this is probably the best result for the club. Just have to sack Ken before its too late to get a look at Carr in 2023.
Port exists to be a middling team

I believe that we are in a worse position than we were this time last year. True, we have won one more game than last year but last year we had an excuse as we had 4 or 5 key players out of action. From memory Dixon, Aliir, Gray and Duursma were missing in 2022 but this year we have an almost full list to pick from. Last year we lost the corresponding game to the Crows by 4pts this year it is 5 goals and unlike last year we cannot blame inaccurate kicking.

The make matters worse our Reserve side, from where the replacements must come, was flogged by 11 goals.

To be honest I am not sure where we go to from here. Perhaps the only course of action is to stick with the players and hope that the likes of Wines, Boak, Duursma to name a few can turn it around. I sure didn't see any players with hands up saying 'pick me' in yesterday's Port Magpies side.

Sadly all the Coach can do is highlight the bleeding obvious. It is one thing for Ken to say, 'collectively we couldn’t defend this week and last week we couldn’t either' but it is quite anther thing to make the hard decisions and apply the hard fixes. The first such hard decision is to drop the Captain, as for the second week in a row Tom Jonas had less than 10 touches and he has only averaged 7.3 disposals across the three games. Last night between them Jonas and Tom Clurey had 10 disposals, 2 marks and made only 4 tackles.

Hinkley is right our defensive game is shite atm and we are simply too slow.
There is no question it is worse than last year, we had key players out at the start of last year should have been alarm bells then about our lack of depth. The SANFL side is easily the worst since we became one club.
The older players are now a year older and looking like it as well.

Just finished watching the replay.

What can I say that hasn't already been said.

When did the fire in the belly go out? Was it Round 5 last year?

The team is not playing for Hinkley and a lot of the boys will not put their body on the line.
Some of them won't even tackle.

I remember watching when we played Collingwood and there was a handball over the top and we looked away but I think it was Moore who came and closed the Power player down with a ferocious tackle. Our guys are easily fended off. Boak even squibbed in the last.

The team is in chaos with a few guys trying to do a lot. Same as it has always been.

I've said it before. A badly coached team needs individuals to pull a rabbit out of a hat. A well coached team can lose good players and others come in and play their role. As they all know what they are doing, they work cohesively. We are a bunch of individuals who don't quite work together.

Once again, it was the contested possession that got us in the end along with squibby and fumbly play.
The Crows kept on shutting it down more and more into the second half.

You see Jonas line up on Rankine and you are just fearful when the ball is anywhere near him.
Once again, a tall KPF kicked a bag on our small defender. Thilthorpe kicked 5 on Clurey who probably has 4 or 5 inches on him.
I think even Bonner was on him when he lead, marked and goaled.

Powell-Pepper was awesome. Rozee played manfully. Drew in the midfield does his job. Horne-Francis when he gets the ball hits targets inside 50. Butters was OK. Dixon is having a good season and I don't want to see him in the ruck. I thought Aliir was good. He didn't get a lot of possies but generally his man didn't look dangerous and he spoiled against other Crows well.

We have a couple of positions down back that when we get right will help out a lot. We have some spots on the team that are almost net negatives.

I know it is not an excuse but our midfield is talented but young. Rozee and Butters are about a year in. Horne-Francis is still 19. They have a ways to go but there is plenty of upside.

I watched the Hinkley presser and he basically said that we didn't play harderer for longerer. If we played the last 14 minutes or so hardey or longery, the result might have been different. That was his assessment. He is a hack of the highest order.

To those who are disillusioned, I say this. Wait until Hinkley leaves and then when Koch leaves. They are not Port Adelaide. We just need a couple of creedworthy people to take their place and we should be back.

There was a practice that Choco did where two players were chosen and the footy was in the middle and they both had to fight to win the ball. That should be training for the year. It is a test of will, something that Hinkley, Koch and the leadership group have little of.

The fire in the belly went out probably 10 minutes into that Prelim when the playing group collectively realised they would never win a premiership. We've been shithouse ever since.

One would hope the crows did us a massive favour and it leads to a broom through the place, coach, captain, vice captain all have to go.

But how can your trust the incompetent people in the positions to make this happen when they are clearly as useless as those they have to get rid of.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Exactly right, Lycett wasn't that bad in the ruck contests last night but he didn't do enough in the field play.

In the corresponding game last year Lycett had 20 possessions but he got flogged in the rucks. It seems we cannot get Scott firing in both aspects of the game. I am not sure that Lycett has the tank to carry our rucks on his own any more, we really should have a second ruck in the side. Finlayson is short of a run atm but maybe when he gets a few games under the belt he can take some of the load off of Lycett?
Lycett at best nullifies the centre bounce and then that’s it, I can’t think of a ruckman he could beat in the afl.. perfect example of a plodder

finlayson just cant be rucking against a recognized ruckman.. he gets destroyed.

Teakle plays scared and isn’t good enough to Ruck at centre bounces

No wonder lycett looked good in preseason, rucking against part time ruckman

So it has to be play hayes or visentini with Dixon as chop out.

The fire in the belly went out probably 10 minutes into that Prelim when the playing group collectively realised they would never win a premiership. We've been shithouse ever since.
Correct, to blow 2 home preliminaries (and not even turn up for the second one) they weren’t up to it.
Chad Cornes mentioned after our internal trial this year how bad it was, skill level lack of intensity and then the two games in Perth (which they said didn’t matter) That rings alarm bell’s straight away. That is all above the shoulders whether you want to play with intensity or not.

One would hope the crows did us a massive favour and it leads to a broom through the place, coach, captain, vice captain all have to go.

But how can your trust the incompetent people in the positions to make this happen when they are clearly as useless as those they have to get rid of.
Our season is done but it won’t happen

Finlayson not even going up for the ball at centre bounces shows he's not the answer.
And yet Lycett is so bad I'd still rather go with this than play him.

Does Sam Hayes have any defensive prowes? I've seen him push forward and take marks and kick goals but not much of an extra defender.

Teakle or Visenti seem to play more this way naturally, so would probably offer more to boost any defensive failures we have. In fact any ruckman who can't quite make it as an AFL ruck but has a solid defensive game would make a solid key position defender.

Remove this Banner Ad

Review Round 3, 2023 vs Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back