Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Typical St Kilda
Pat ourselves on the back to beat Poes last week
Clap em off the ground at training like they won a final
Forget injuries - this game was in the bag …sone composure and they’re gone…
Bonner can not play next week
He almost cost us Pies game with his turno
Port knew it
Move on play kids get rid of rejects

Our own fault, we missed too many shots and didn't take advantage of our dominance when we were up and about.

I think subbing sharman off was the wrong decision, should've played deep in the forward line and just taken Bonner off.

We really played into their hand just bombing the ball in, particularly around the CHF position where they could can then rebound a lot quicker. Needed to kick it deeper if we were just going to start bombing it in.

You can definitely tell we have 7-8 players from our best 22 missing. We looked a young side and lacked composure in the last quarter. I have a feeling we may go slightly backwards this year but if we keep seeing progression from Nas, Windy, Owens, Pou etc it will still be a successful year imo

Yep, goal kicking is what lost it for us in the end.

We are a very young and inexperienced side too, considerably so compared to the opposition so it's no shock there. We'll lose these ones we probably win if we don't have three major outs from the previous week, but we will get reward for our investment in time as we keep getting games into the Pou, Wilson, Hastie etc. Don't mind that in the scheme of things.

No more Bonner. Ive seen enough. Sincs needs to get his arse into gear cause we need him. Owens needs to learn how to kick for goal.
We choked, plain and simple
Owens drifts in and out of the game a bit too much, but we lost too many individual contests, and a couple of Saints didn't put their bodies on the line which resulted in Bomber goals. I think saviour coach Lyon will be having some hard words to a few players

Just have to convert when you are burning all your petrol tickets early. Low conversion, low free kick game had us working our system into overdrive without a break and think it showed. Game felt like it was on a ground half the size with the lack of space in the second half, most of it spent on the floor.

That's a win 9 out of 10 times with King and Henry in the side.

Thought Hastie looked good considering the situation unfolding before he even stepped on the ground.

Our young core vs one that's in their 26-30yo prime bracket (and going no where). Our time will come with the experience and losses like that.

Can't think of anything else right now...just kidding, F the umpires.

Soft efforts by too many. The forwards weren't hungry and the midfield didn't get enough of the ball. Wilke and Battle as senior players played really poor games.
Wilkie dropped a ton of marks he usually gobbles up .... we were off everywhere by just by a slight margin .... should have been 6 goals up at one stage ... when we started missing those set shots you couldn't help but think we were gunna fk it up

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Owens drifts in and out of the game a bit too much, but we lost too many individual contests, and a couple of Saints didn't put their bodies on the line which resulted in Bomber goals. I think saviour coach Lyon will be having some hard words to a few players
I think we put to much on Owens guy is still a baby.

He is expected to be an inside mid / ruckman / key forward / linkman / defensive small forward. I would struggle too at times

Disgusting that Stringer had to kick the winner. Top 3 dh in the league.
Strangely unemotional about it overall, Essendon were always going to bring it after a week of criticism.

Thought Jones was good, pleased for him to get some better consistent games together.

Professional footballers who can’t kick a set shot .

Kept an inferior side in in the game , and then when hear was on way to many players who did not want to put their heads over the ball or slipped over to disguise the fact .

Pathetic

Poor kicking cost us the game.
We nail those shots and it takes all wind out of them.
Seb was huge early, Hammer just kept going too.
Didn’t expect to win with the inexperienced side we put up so on one hand I’m proud of the lads for getting so close but it’s a bitter pill to take for falling at the last.

I haven’t been watching non Saints games this year so unsure of the overall standard of the officiating but if this is commonplace then god help our National sport.

Maybe this  time we'll learn to convert and put games to bed when we have our chances...

Ah who am I kidding

That was a car crash in slow motion.

A number of the playing group well below there best and mostly from the experienced players who did not lead the way.

Going to be ugly viewing Monday morning.

Loved what NWM did today. Also happy with Caminitis performance.
I though NWM hung out the back too much as a defender and should have won more individual contests, and Caminiti tried hard, but he is a way off.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back