Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Poor kicking cost us the game.
We nail those shots and it takes all wind out of them.
Seb was huge early, Hammer just kept going too.
Didn’t expect to win with the inexperienced side we put up so on one hand I’m proud of the lads for getting so close but it’s a bitter pill to take for falling at the last.

I haven’t been watching non Saints games this year so unsure of the overall standard of the officiating but if this is commonplace then god help our National sport.
They just pick and choose which games holding the ball is allowed and not allowed we lost the chook raffle and they chose not to pay it today.
Its disgusting

Umpires didn't help us, at all. But we were a bloody disgrace. Zero structure or systems. Completely broken down, selfish stupid football, beaten by a bottom 4 side - what a joke.

The Butler selection was a joke, no way in hell did he earn or deserve a game. Hastie will be a player, but was a deer in the headlights. Bonner had possibly the worst game of his career. Might actually say the same for Sinclair. Jones could only be effective for the first 10 minutes each quarter. Windy went missing, Ro burnt himself out, how, just how can we let the joke of a club run over us?

So many missed opportunities for the entire 4 quarters. Embarrassing, foresaw it on Thursday and wish I didn't. FFS - so many questions, such a joke of a performance. They should be ashamed of themselves!

Just dumb footy, forgot everything they learnt over summer and went back to dumb stupid footy. Zero composure, zero execution.

Missed King, missed Webster, missed Henry, missed Doogs, missed Dow. Literally all of those 5 positions were what killed us today.

I'm livid, I had such a bad feeling and hoped we crept over the line but we are so far ahead of ourselves right now that it's embarrassing.

Part of me hopes Steeley actually did have Covid and gave it to half the team because it's probably the only thing that can excuse that.

I don't think I've been this embarrassed to support us since the Good Friday debacle vs Norf. Essendon, I'm mean far out, Essendon... my God my blood boils!

Poor kicking cost us the game.
We nail those shots and it takes all wind out of them.
Seb was huge early, Hammer just kept going too.
Didn’t expect to win with the inexperienced side we put up so on one hand I’m proud of the lads for getting so close but it’s a bitter pill to take for falling at the last.

I haven’t been watching non Saints games this year so unsure of the overall standard of the officiating but if this is commonplace then god help our National sport.

I've just now stopped watching other games, just on umpires thus far and things like the MRO and what's changed altered this season, it's really unappealing. They all just seem confused mostly and it really shows, also say this match it seemed like they were between legitimate calls and struggling to blow that whistle.

Then you have the situation early with the display showing the Roos and Cats logo and it really rams home that the AFL DGAF about the sport or the public viewing it.

Few take aways from that game
-lot of our best were far from their best. Since blew a couple turnover opportunities by turning it right back over. Don't think I've ever seen Wilkie drop that many intercept marks. Rohan was always going to have a tough day, but Sheesh, his ball skills were woeful.

-Membrey was a non factor for a lot of that, and I can't believe Sharman was subbed instead of him. Felt that we had no one to take a contested grab at all

-thought Pou looked the goods in the midfield in the 1st half, but like the rest of the team after that, couldn't get it clean.

-Zac Jones speed and willingness to take the game on in congestion was really good. Hope he can stay healthy and build up to more game time

-no King breaks down our structure when things slow down. None our talls looked like they wanted to crash a pack, except for Owens who threw himself everywhere.

-Windhager got showed up by an exceptional midfielder in Merrett, hope he learns from it.

-Wilson may have all the athletic tools to make it, but boy does he have a long way to go in decision making and footy nous.

-the less said about Bonner the better. If he isn't in sandy colours for the rest of the year, Ross might be a sleeper agent

All on all, shit game, shit experience, completely out classes for the last 40 mins, hope it stings for the players. Really missed the dominance of King and the class of Henry, but gotta be able to perform without everyone there. Need to grab a win next week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soft efforts by too many. The forwards weren't hungry and the midfield didn't get enough of the ball. Wilke and Battle as senior players played really poor games.

Wilkie had an awful game and was a liability towards the end. Maybe he played ill as i can't remember him ever putting in a bad one.

I actually don't feel too bad about that loss, I think because you could see it coming for the last hour or so I was already mentally in "we'll bottle this" territory. I think the goal kicking yips of the first half just rattled us as well, in general play, but geez our backline looks unsettled. Wilkie fumbling and running over the top of loose ground balls, not clunking contested marks that he gobbled up last year. Bonner in for Webster has been a failure, need to try something else, he may be a good kick of the ball but his decision making since the preseason games has gone to shit and opposition players know they're going to get a run at a marking contest without any physical pressure on them if he's there man. We can't carry him if we're going with Nas and Sinclair as 2 rebound defenders/wingers also.

Rowan struggled all day against 2 genuine rucks, fair enough, but some of his around the ground work was not up to his usual standard as well.

Windy lowered his colours after last week as well, looked a bit panicked and desperate at times when pressure around stoppages went up, needs to learn that sometimes it's alright to hold onto the ball and go again for another stoppage isn't the end of the world.

Since I'm sooking it up thought I would mention a few positives: Caminiti a young guy straight back in and did his job with contested marks and a few goals, Ross looked reinvigorated and ran hard, taking on tacklers, making some good decisions, Higgins was the only player out there with ball in hand inside 50 I felt confident would finish the play off well, got a couple of goals again.

That's my wall of text anyway, next week I suppose.

Wilkie had an awful game and was a liability towards the end. Maybe he played ill as i can't remember him ever putting in a bad one.
He's been a rock for so long that I guess you gotta give him one, just a shame the one was in a loss. Always good to have your shocker in a win

Since midway through the 2nd quarter, Essendon looked the better side, got nothing to do with King not playing, it’s the same problem:

1. We don’t have a fuctional midfield
  • Marshall can’t win a clean tap to advantage to save himself
  • Don’t have any genuine and mature mids apart from Steele and Ross, losing Crouch doesn’t help. Winghager, Jones, Hope Dow comes in soon..

2. Our transition is still poor, we have Hill, Bonner, Sinclair, Nas, yet our players hardly lead to offer them an outlet. I don’t believe it’s Bonner’s fault when he has little options to choose from. Other teams can kick to teammate’s advantage, we hope to pick a free player from a big pack..

Bonner is as soft as butter but think I would have subbed Wilson.
Wilson got burnt a few times when he was going from def 50 to forward 50, the bloke has elite work rate and we failed to use it.

The commentators were quite adamant on it during the game.

Hit him on the transition a few times and he could get 3 goals

Congratulations to Essendon they out worked us. Our forwards killed us in the first half too many missed goals, then our midfield collapsed in the second half. Our midfield is still lacking we got slaughtered out of the centre in the second half. Marshall needs help, we cant keep expecting him to compete against two genuine ruckman. We simply need to find more talent to go through the middle and once again injuries are costing us games.

Any defence would have struggled under the 2nd half swarm tonight. But Wilkie had a mare marking wise (never seen him drop so many marks), Stocker made a couple of ordinary blunders, but Bonner won the award for being softest on ground. He displayed why he was delisted by Port, he is physically and mentally weak and blew any credits he earnt in the first couple of weeks. Im not blaming the loss on him, but surely the club expect more physicality than he displays .

I think RTB had his pants pulled down tonight. Essendon obviously planned to shut down Nas and expose Bonner and they did that perfectly, Bonner wasnt up to it. The other poor move was to leave Martin to continue driving the ball out of defence, he was exactly how we want to use Nas and RTB failed to send anyone to him or put any physical pressure on him.

Marshall, Byrnes, Ross & Steele battled hard although were soundly beaten by the Essendon midfield.

Last edited:
Bonner has to be dropped, decision making awful. It is a game of 1%ers and the kick in to BONNER in the centre of the ground was a ripper only for bonner to stuff it up, that could have been a goal and is really disappointing.
And really could of buried the dons if the opportunities in front of goal were taken.
Mate you are a Lions supporter, stick them.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

The usual reliables had stinkers
Membrey
Wilkie
Marshall
Sincs (yes throwing him in there too, bad turnover)

Only decent perfomers
NWM
Hill
Hastie
Higgins
Ross

Beige
Cordy
Byrnes
Stocker
Windy
Pou
Owens
Butler

Just awful
Bonner

Take out plus last kick and that’s one of his best games for us. Tackles hard quick hands. But fmd.

We looked very poor today. I think injuries are catching up fast.

King Webster Clark Dow Hayes wood Henry

5 first choice guys not there

I actually don't feel too bad about that loss, I think because you could see it coming for the last hour or so I was already mentally in "we'll bottle this" territory. I think the goal kicking yips of the first half just rattled us as well, in general play, but geez our backline looks unsettled. Wilkie fumbling and running over the top of loose ground balls, not clunking contested marks that he gobbled up last year. Bonner in for Webster has been a failure, need to try something else, he may be a good kick of the ball but his decision making since the preseason games has gone to s**t and opposition players know they're going to get a run at a marking contest without any physical pressure on them if he's there man. We can't carry him if we're going with Nas and Sinclair as 2 rebound defenders/wingers also.

Rowan struggled all day against 2 genuine rucks, fair enough, but some of his around the ground work was not up to his usual standard as well.

Windy lowered his colours after last week as well, looked a bit panicked and desperate at times when pressure around stoppages went up, needs to learn that sometimes it's alright to hold onto the ball and go again for another stoppage isn't the end of the world.

Since I'm sooking it up thought I would mention a few positives: Caminiti a young guy straight back in and did his job with contested marks and a few goals, Ross looked reinvigorated and ran hard, taking on tacklers, making some good decisions, Higgins was the only player out there with ball in hand inside 50 I felt confident would finish the play off well, got a couple of goals again.

That's my wall of text anyway, next week I suppose.
Thought Ro battled better than any other ruck in that scenario.
Gave him the chocolates at half time against their 2.
After that you could see he was just getting too gassed.
needs help against these dual ruck teams but luckily I don’t think there’s any other club that has the caliber of pure ruck and around the ground work of Goldy and Draper.
Held his own imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 3, 2024: Essendon v St.Kilda

Remove this Banner Ad

Back