Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

You mean for the 4 or 5 kicks he gets per game (career average)? He is not going to solve any problems. He is too small to play at AFL level considering his other attributes and should have been delisted. I am beyond mystified why people want to bring him into the side.

His kicking is overrated by a few on here. Only gets it a handful of times and only half or slightly more are effective. Continually going back to these blokes that have been tried and tried and failed is taking us nowhere.

I'm not sure of the actual changes but I'm ******* praying that JL and co arent stubborn dipshits about the whole thing and by some miracle, show some creativity / flair. It's hard to make changes to a team where you could make a case for all but 4 of them getting dropped but I've tried to pick a team I think has actual talent and makes ******* sense. I assume neither Treacy or Darcy will be available (probably for a while knowing us.

I feel this side has more size, speed, endurance and skill in it then the one we just put out. For the love of ******* god, stop playing players we know arent up to AFL level

Logue Pearce Young
Clark Ryan Walker*
Chapman Serong Aish
Erasmus* Cox** Schultz
Sturt Lobb Switta

Meek Brayshaw Mundy

Brodie Frederick Crowden O'Driscoll

*These two are not negotiable

** This solves so many problems, it's obviously to obvious to happen. It makes us less slow in the backline, and provides some creativity up front with no size loss. It wont happen though
Our selection policy has been uninspiring for a while now. Sadly we are better finishing 15 or 16th than 10-12th.

That team looks about right and has some flexibility in it. O’Driscoll was in the middle today and has pace. Could be a bigger type we need. Cox forward is a must now.

Ok bit of a rant and will dive into swapping of positions. Please take the time to read as unlike a few i predicted the margin/result today and haven't been impressed at all so far.

Ok Walters gone. Gets a goodbye game end of year. Last year of contract can serve as mentor to nga off the list. Great servant but he is done.

Banfield done and dusted..serve his remaining at peel. No longer depth, just stay away.

Colyer. I like him and his 2021. But shitty disposal seems to be back and looks lost at times. Kicked 2 but needs to be dropped and go finish contract at Peel. Can be break glass emergency only for the remaining 2022.

Freddy needs to be dropped, work harder defensively and play the percentages.

Chapman great spoil in rd 1 but other than that he's been ave. Moved to hff late in game. Needs to find some touch. Needs to build up his body and work on his speed. Will be a great player but needs a bit of work. Little green.

Acres in parts was great today, in others hopeless. Depth only. Break glass emergency only for the remaining and delisted at seasons end

I want us to utilise Aish more and getting him possibly in the guts as he is a clever operator. Cox moved fwd...for team structure he has to..if he doesnt like it **** off. Wayne Carey played CHB at times...reckon he liked that? Time for Cox to move Fwd.

Blakely no not for me. Stay at Peel

Walker comes in and stays. Erasmus comes in and stays.

Sturt trialled in Freddys spot. Give him 12 weeks and see what he produces.

Western (don't rate) but give a month as a crumber and see if Freddy can get back into the side.

Mundy comes in.

Start big O and he takes Acres spot.

Wilson for more run ( one of Clark or Walker to Wing)

Go more direct and use our pace.

Last edited:
Our selection policy has been uninspiring for a while now. Sadly we are better finishing 15 or 16th than 10-12th.

That team looks about right and has some flexibility in it. O’Driscoll was in the middle today and has pace. Could be a bigger type we need. Cox forward is a must now.
Why are we better finishing 15th or 16th exactly?

he’s big enough and hasn’t been played as a midfielder.
he also doesn’t waste a ball, but I guess we can just keep butchering the ball forward for the next few years and see how that goes

Big enough? What on earth are you smoking? He is 175cm tall (which I think is quite generous, I'd say he is close to 170cm) and monstered by anyone over 180cm tall, let alone the 185-190cm mids which are common. It doesn't matter if he doesn't waste a ball, he doesn't get the ball enough. You can't play him as a full time midfielder when Brayshaw and Serong are the main two midfielders and quite small themselves.

I often wonder how many people go to the game and are on say the lower level. I am 20 rows back from the fence, dead centre on the wing. It is beyond laughable how small some of our players look when we are warming up. It stands out like the proverbial. Half the kids playing little league at half time are bigger than Crowden.

So many today that club bookmarked had great pre season, fitness bases were freaking garbage.
Logue.. awful. Guy cannot play. No idea where he fits if he can’t play small defence.
Tucker. Should’ve left last season. Purely a runner nothing else.

Hamling is the lockdown defender. Pearce can’t spoil or compete in the air.

Awful day. Seething day.

In:
Hughes
Blakely
Sturt
Treacy (if fit)
Mundy (if cleared)
Cox (if cleared)
Tabs (if fit)

Out
Tucker
Logue
Acres
Darcy
Banfield
Fredrick
Colyer

Blakely can't come in. No difference between him and Acres.

MRO might force the hand for dropping Acres. That moment in the first where he denied a open switch to the corridor before being told to play on and panic kick turnover down the line was terrible. According to Schofield on the Fox coverage JLo gave a big quarter time spray for continually ignoring options for the switch or into the corridor.

Acres is going end up the next Rhys Conca if he can’t sort out his disposal and decision making. He had 8 turnovers.

Also as much as I love Heath Chapman he is becoming a bit of a liability in the backline. Opposition teams are putting goal sneaks onto him (Rachele and Higgins) in the knowledge that he isn’t a match-up that can handle the zippy small forwards. Wilson and Walker need to come into the picture.

Frederick and Banfield are next to useless at the moment.

We can’t have so many talls in the backline. Chapman and Logue out. Hamling and Pearce to take the KPF and Cox the spare. Jordan Clarke to the Wing. Walker or Wilson into the starting 18.

Six changes is a lot more than usual but is warranted.

In: Taberner, Cox, Walker, Mundy, Erasmus, O’Driscoll, Crowden (sub)
Out: Darcy (inj), Logue, Chapman, Acres (suspended or dropped), Banfield, Frederick

Out - Walters (needs form in WAFL before he wears the Purple again), Banfield, Colyer, Tucker, Acres (susp), Darcy (inj)
In - Walker, Erasmus, Cox, Western, Crowden, Mundy

B: Ryan, Hamling, Logue
HB: Walker, Pearce, Clark
C: Young, Brodie, Aish
HF: Erasmus, Cox, Switkowski
F: Western, Lobb, Schultz
FOLL: Meek, Serong, Brayshaw

I/C: Crowden, Chapman, Mundy, O’Driscoll

Walker in to HB for a pacey small defender, otherwise Rioli will murder us as any 2-bit small forward tends to do. Frees up Young to the wing/midfield and use that kicking offensively or to rotate with Clark/Aish if the matchup works better. Erasmus to debut (finally) and NOD to play a full game. Cox to CHF over Lobb since his field kicking is outstanding and hitting up a target is something we've lost since that one game in pre-season. Western comes in a makes Hurn's life uncomfortable as the defensive forward and Crowden because forward of centre he looks dangerous and that's a major weakness in our side.

Common theme? Footskills and pace! Bombing long to a pack does nothing even with elite marking options - more so since we lack real crumbing forwards with Walter's apparent loss of talent and Switkowski being more valuable up the ground. Hopefully Western shows something.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We lack a big fast bull mid. Our mids are small or slow.
This will,go over like a lead balloon with some but why not throw Logue into the mid mix .
At the least try it at Peel .
Logue is such a weird one because it doesn't feel like he's a natural defender at all but definitely has the size and athleticism to impact a game. Wouldn't mind throwing him in the middle

This will,go over like a lead balloon with some but why not throw Logue into the mid mix .

Need to try something. Throw walker in there. Or chuck Clark on a wing.

We're nowhere near it again. Let's go Mark Harvey and experiment a bit while the big guns are out.

Whatever we do Cox must play fwd. There's enough in that Backline (if anything too tall and slow) Cox takes CHF.

Time to make a statement I reckon:

I’ll start by saying Luke Ryan is undroppable because he’s a great intercepter but he’s the slowest mover of the ball after a mark or kick in I’ve ever seen bar none.

You obviously haven't been watching Darcy Tucker then - slowest thinking ball movement stopper in the team.

MRO might force the hand for dropping Acres. That moment in the first where he denied a open switch to the corridor before being told to play on and panic kick turnover down the line was terrible. According to Schofield on the Fox coverage JLo gave a big quarter time spray for continually ignoring options for the switch or into the corridor.

Acres is going end up the next Rhys Conca if he can’t sort out his disposal and decision making. He had 8 turnovers.

Also as much as I love Heath Chapman he is becoming a bit of a liability in the backline. Opposition teams are putting goal sneaks onto him (Rachele and Higgins) in the knowledge that he isn’t a match-up that can handle the zippy small forwards. Wilson and Walker need to come into the picture.

Frederick and Banfield are next to useless at the moment.

We can’t have so many talls in the backline. Chapman and Logue out. Hamling and Pearce to take the KPF and Cox the spare. Jordan Clarke to the Wing. Walker or Wilson into the starting 18.

Six changes is a lot more than usual but is warranted.

In: Taberner, Cox, Walker, Mundy, Erasmus, O’Driscoll, Crowden (sub)
Out: Darcy (inj), Logue, Chapman, Acres (suspended or dropped), Banfield, Frederick
Honestly wouldn’t mind Chapman at half forward. Offers more and at less of a negative. He should be the natural winger as his career progresses though.
Cannot see the difference in dropping Banfield and in comes Crowden. Just meh. I’d rather Banfield for the height.

Why not Blakely? Offers more grunt and decision making then a slow galloping Tucker would today.

Walker definitely comes in, plays at half back and stays in all season. Too good to be left out.
If, we somehow manage to bring in Tabs and Cox, that balances out the forward line.

All I know is that the current back seven isn’t really working. Pearce, Hamling, Logue and Ryan might be one too many guys who don’t move the ball quickly enough. I think it’s obvious either Hamling or Logue gets left out but some may disagree.

Allows us to play either Wilson or Walker perhaps both if Chapman or Clark get moved to play elsewhere (should happen imo).

Wouldn’t mind seeing Logue as a forward. Everyone seems to want Cox there now and rightly so but crazier things have worked than both - especially whilst Taberner and Treacy are injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back