Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

We lack a big fast bull mid. Our mids are small or slow.
This will,go over like a lead balloon with some but why not throw Logue into the mid mix .
At the least try it at Peel .

You want to take a fumbly, slow decision maker defender and place him in the midfield? What because he’s a solid unit.
I’ve lost track of how many times Logue over runs ground balls.
He’s not best 22.

A top four pick is far more likely to produce a game breaker type than a pick 8-10. There is no point us stagnating at pretty much the same position we have been for the last 3 seasons.
Also not much point just playing for the draft year after year after year though?

You want to take a fumbly, slow decision maker defender and place him in the midfield? What because he’s a solid unit.
I’ve lost track of how many times Logue over runs ground balls.
He’s not best 22.

You saw Brodie today, slow decision maker fumbly , tankless and poor disposal .
At least Logue is quick with a big tank.

The problem is in thinking Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Chapman, Cox can all be best 22.

Now some want to move Cox forward to accomodate others??

Freo need to make tough decisions on the selection table not shuffle pieces so that some don’t get their feelings hurt.

Our best backline includes Ryan, Cox, Young and Clark. Those 4 are non negotiable.

We probably need the height of Pearce, although I don’t think his place in the side should be a given.

Then you have one of Logue, Chapman and Hamling or actually another small or someone with dash like Wilson, Walker.

We can never play Hamling, Logue and Pearce together again, EVER. Gave us zero on the counter.

You saw Brodie today, slow decision maker fumbly , tankless and poor disposal .
At least Logue is quick with a big tank.
Brodie was a free hit. I always saw him as depth and cover. He got exposed today and needs speed around him. That speed isn’t Logue. It’s actually hilarious this is even a consideration.

Sure trial Logue in the midfield at Peel. That at least means he’s been dropped, so I’m fine with that.

This will,go over like a lead balloon with some but why not throw Logue into the mid mix .
I actually said when he debuted that Logue should transition into a bull midfielder. Be silly not to. He likes to get in hard, tackle. Defender isn’t his thing. Too passive for him
Can’t hurt. Have limited options

The problem is in thinking Pearce, Hamling, Logue, Chapman, Cox can all be best 22.

Freo need to make tough decisions on the selection table not shuffle pieces so that some don’t get their feelings hurt.

Our best backline includes Ryan, Cox, Young and Clark. Those 4 are non negotiable.

We probably need the height of Pearce, although I don’t think his place in the side should be a given.

Then you have one of Logue, Chapman and Hamling or actually another small or someone with dash like Wilson, Walker.

We can never play Hamling, Logue and Pearce together again, EVER. Gave us zero on the counter.
I dont think ppl are wanting Cox fwd to accomodate others, I think they want him fwd because we have absolute **** all there atm and we're hoping he'll offer SOMETHING, and he's the only back that has experience there. Have enough depth to cover for him and I don't think anything he does down back is revolutionary enough that say a hughes or a hamling can't take care of.

Then out goes Logue. Where does Cox fit with Ryan? He’s not contending with Hamling or Pearce. It’s Ryan and jimseld
Hamling should be the key lockdown defender. Versatile, has better leaping ability and fast. Pearce should be second defender akin to Rance. He’s garbage one on one these days.
Cox’s hands are wasted down back

Out: Banfield, Meek/Darcy (hopefully Darcy’s fit to play), Colyer, Walters, Acres/Tucker (take your pick)
In: Taberner (if fit, otherwise Sturt), Cox (fwd), Mundy, Erasmus, Walker (Chappy more on a wing)

Speculating changes is all fun and games until teams are announced next week and the only changes we make are

In: Mundy, Cox (def)
Out: Darcy (inj), Hamling

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Haha. Eagles with a rag tag team of nobody's will fu** us next weekend.
We have no heart.

Even with that WAFL team today they had 5 or 6 AAs (I can never remeber if shuey is one). Then they're getting back nic nat (vs meek) as well as the rest of all their h&s affected players. Have no hope for next week at all.

Time to make a statement I reckon:

I’ll start by saying Luke Ryan is undroppable because he’s a great intercepter but he’s the slowest mover of the ball after a mark or kick in I’ve ever seen bar none.

As I said you can’t drop him out of the side because the rest of his game is so bloody good but his slow as **** decision kills us consistently.

It’s a shame because he’s actually a pretty good kick when he takes the game on. Pity it’s barely once a game though.

Need Wilson or Walker in the side. Don’t care which one. Young, Chapman and Clark are too important for our future to drop but we need to decide which of them is going to play elsewhere because other areas of ground are seriously lacking. Crazy idea - if Wilson is fit, bring him AND Walker in. Clark goes to wing so we can axe either Tucker or Acres (honestly couldn’t care less which) and Chapman becomes part of the midfield and forward rotation.

Too much talent down back considering how many sh**e players we have playing elsewhere

Out: Acres (susp), Darcy (inj), Banfield, Tucker, Frederick
In: Mundy, Cox, NOD, Walker, Wilson

Wish I had confidence to bring in an actual forward but I don’t. I’m liking what Schultz and Switta do in patches, Lobb has been okay. Our other forwards have been beyond garbage

I agree, I think the balance is wrong in defense; I like what both Young and Clark bring down back but I feel they have flair and desire, both with intent to attack which would be better suited than out-and-out defense. Maybe at least one of them - I would personally move Clark to a wing, as Young's defensive capabilities seem that bit better than Clark's overall (intercepts/tackling/body work etc). Both turned the ball over bizarrely, especially Clark when he hoofed it up the middle unexpectedly. I think this what you might get with him occasionally, kamikaze brainfades - but at least he was trying to be attacking!

I would love to see Sturt in, but not sure if ready (whatever that means..) but doubt he'll come in, but your ins would certainly help. Darcy injury is unfortunate, that being said I thought his game was quite average overall. I'd also drop Brodie, perhaps for Blakely....Brodie is deadset slow and quite ordinary. At least Blakely has a bit of toe and has trimmed down apparently and looked quite good at Peel. Probably last chance saloon for him; but I wouldn't be averse

Logue was quite reasonable last week and you quite openly don’t like Logue.

I 100% agree though we can only afford two of Logue, Hamling and Pearce. Too many lock down KPD.

Being fair to Hamling and I thought he was ok - before yesterday he’s played 1 AFL game and about 3 scratchies over the past 3 years. He’ll be better for the run. Cox or Chapman in the spare type role.

After what I’ve seen the past two weeks - I’d run with Pearce, Hamling and Cox. Chapman some chance for Wing or coming off the bench. Didn’t Chapman have a run in the fwd line at the end there?

Walker/Wilson Pearce Hamling
Ryan Cox Young
Aish Brayshaw Clark
Erasmus Lobb Colyer
Switta Tabs Schultz
Meek/Darcy Mundy Serong

MRO might force the hand for dropping Acres. That moment in the first where he denied a open switch to the corridor before being told to play on and panic kick turnover down the line was terrible. According to Schofield on the Fox coverage JLo gave a big quarter time spray for continually ignoring options for the switch or into the corridor.

Acres is going end up the next Rhys Conca if he can’t sort out his disposal and decision making. He had 8 turnovers.

Also as much as I love Heath Chapman he is becoming a bit of a liability in the backline. Opposition teams are putting goal sneaks onto him (Rachele and Higgins) in the knowledge that he isn’t a match-up that can handle the zippy small forwards. Wilson and Walker need to come into the picture.

Frederick and Banfield are next to useless at the moment.

We can’t have so many talls in the backline. Chapman and Logue out. Hamling and Pearce to take the KPF and Cox the spare. Jordan Clarke to the Wing. Walker or Wilson into the starting 18.

Six changes is a lot more than usual but is warranted.

In: Taberner, Cox, Walker, Mundy, Erasmus, O’Driscoll, Crowden (sub)
Out: Darcy (inj), Logue, Chapman, Acres (suspended or dropped), Banfield, Frederick

I agree with this, I'd say Frederick being next to useless is a bit harsh, but he was found wanting for most of this game and could be justifiably dropped. I do however think the defensive balance is all wrong and agree, Clark needs a stint on the wing, even put Chapman there as it appeared he did later in the 4th. Hamling was rusty but did try and physically impose himself, doubt he plays if Cox isn't quarantined and Pearce got a bath from M. King, but oddly did some nice dash out of defense like in 2019.....overall, across all lines though we're still searching for that elusive "best 22" I feel, the team synergy or balance is just all over the place, even with a mostly-healthy list

I agree with this, I'd say Frederick being next to useless is a bit harsh, but he was found wanting for most of this game and could be justifiably dropped. I do however think the defensive balance is all wrong and agree, Clark needs a stint on the wing, even put Chapman there as it appeared he did later in the 4th. Hamling was rusty but did try and physically impose himself, doubt he plays if Cox isn't quarantined and Pearce got a bath from M. King, but oddly did some nice dash out of defense like in 2019.....overall, across all lines though we're still searching for that elusive "best 22" I feel, the team synergy or balance is just all over the place, even with a mostly-healthy list
Pearce started really well and also had some great dash out of defence in the last quarter, but that 5 minute stretch on King in the 3rd lost us the game.

Logue was quite reasonable last week and you quite openly don’t like Logue.

I 100% agree though we can only afford two of Logue, Hamling and Pearce. Too many lock down KPD.

Being fair to Hamling and I thought he was ok - before yesterday he’s played 1 AFL game and about 3 scratchies over the past 3 years. He’ll be better for the run. Cox or Chapman in the spare type role.

After what I’ve seen the past two weeks - I’d run with Pearce, Hamling and Cox. Chapman some chance for Wing or coming off the bench. Didn’t Chapman have a run in the fwd line at the end there?

Walker/Wilson Pearce Hamling
Ryan Cox Young
Aish Brayshaw Clark
Erasmus Lobb Colyer
Switta Tabs Schultz
Meek/Darcy Mundy Serong

I just think Logue plays a position where you need to be somewhat dependable. I can forgive any error that’s a positive error.

I can’t get over how horrible he is constantly. I have been open with my disliking because of games like today.

I truly don’t get how people defend his rubbish dumb plays.

Today he was 20m clear of everyone and went full charge at a ground ball and over ran it. Should’ve been a Saints goal but they fluffed it.

He then had a bouncing ball and turned in boards towards 2 Saints. Ball came out and they slotted it. Inexcusable droppable offences if we are fair dinkum.

That’s before I even mention dropped marks and hospital handballs.

Pearce - I really want to see the best of Pearce but he’s got the IQ of a brick.

5 mins left. Young switches to him just outside D50. He could’ve run forwards. He holds the ball. Goes back off his mark when there’s no one around! Then chips it back to Young!!! Surely I’m not the only one watching these pathetic errors!?

We can’t accept this rubbish.

Unfortunately he seems too stupid to play even defence, probably too much for him to think about in the middle he will just get lost

Also not much point just playing for the draft year after year after year though?

I don't think we should play for the draft at all.

I think if we play the same guys who we know are not good enough to take us the next step we will finish roughly where we have. That won't get us the best picks or help us improve.

Treacy was dropped for?

Why isn't Erasmus playing?

We don't need to gift players games, structurally Treacy and Erasmus should have been in the team.

I thought Logue played on Membrey for most of the match and though Membrey was goalless, he kicked 3 points from gettable shots and won more contests than Logue , and as the game went on I thought there was a few time where Logue just didn't halve contests that he was expected to.

There were a few ocassions today when he linked up in attacking chains and was reluctant to either kick the ball or take the play on by running with the ball into the space ahead - instead waiting for a receiver to handball, which then became momentum stiflers. Sure, I know this could be because there was no target to kick to inside 50m, but I just felt like he lacked confidence to make a decision ball in hand. If he's just going to play the role a stopper in defence we may as well try him forward because I think Cox has developed into a confident rebounding player.

Chapman tried a few times to run and attack and link through a narrow corridor but each time skills and ball handling let him down but in the first two weeks he's played better after he's been moved late in the game.

Stats aren’t everything, but I wanted to even see if Logue applied pressure.

5 pressure acts! 5!!! Despite being on the ground for nearly the whole game and whose jobs is to stop players.

He was equal lowest with O’Driscoll who played stuff all minutes.

2 contested possessions.

In other words Logue didn’t pass the eye test. Rarely passes the eye test and the stats are backing this up.

Now someone will point out his 100% disposal efficiency, which isn’t hard when you handball your team mates or go with 16m chip kicks in your back half.

5 pressure acts people and some want him to play midfield!! Hahahaha

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back