Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Logue played on Membrey for most of the match and though Membrey was goalless, he kicked 3 points from gettable shots and won more contests than Logue , and as the game went on I thought there was a few time where Logue just didn't halve contests that he was expected to.

There were a few ocassions today when he linked up in attacking chains and was reluctant to either kick the ball or take the play on by running with the ball into the space ahead - instead waiting for a receiver to handball, which then became momentum stiflers. Sure, I know this could be because there was no target to kick to inside 50m, but I just felt like he lacked confidence to make a decision ball in hand. If he's just going to play the role a stopper in defence we may as well try him forward because I think Cox has developed into a confident rebounding player.

Chapman tried a few times to run and attack and link through a narrow corridor but each time skills and ball handling let him down but in the first two weeks he's played better after he's been moved late in the game.

He won’t play on because he has the IQ of a spud. People will keep defending him with ‘He just needs a good run at it’. Rubbish. He’s always had low IQ and if he wasn’t pick 8 he’d have been dropped and not persisted with long ago.

He’s like buying an expensive suit that doesn’t feel great. You’ve invested in it now. Should wear it a few times. ‘Get your money out of it’

He won’t play on because he has the IQ of a spud. People will keep defending him with ‘He just needs a good run at it’. Rubbish. He’s always had low IQ and if he wasn’t pick 8 he’d have been dropped and not persisted with long ago.

He’s like buying an expensive suit that doesn’t feel great. You’ve invested in it now. Should wear it a few times. ‘Get your money out of it’
I’d prefer Hughes who at least makes a contest of it. He makes better decisions then Logue did today. Plus he’s cleaner

In 2020 we managed to turn a defence comprised of ryan, Hughes, duman, and cox into a top 5 in the league. Then we replaced our defence coach. What was up with that?

I think Logue defended defiantly last week against Adelaide when the chips were down and I don't really care what number draft pick he was - its just with Hamling back, and Cox back for Round 3 - he might be superfluous in the back half. Just think, given the low stocks in the forward 50m and in comparison to someone like Banfield, his extra height and competitive traits like getting to the contest, tackling repeat efforts and fighting at ground level might be of more use in the forward 50m.

Logue or cox forward for me, need another target even if tabs is back.

Out
Banfield
Meek/ Darcy (if injured)
Acres (sup)

In
Mundy
Cox
Tabnerner

You clearly have a personal grudge against Logue for some reason based on your posts on here over a long period of time?
It would be easier to take this criticism seriously if you applied the same standards to other players. Banfield with 5 measly disposals while Treacy, Sturt and Erasmus rot away at peel? Does that not make you angry too?
Acres with his constant scared half-efforts - look back on the last min of the third quarter for exhibit A, ball comes in high to our D50, acres perfectly positioned to take a routine mark, drops it out of sheer fright for the footsteps behind him despite no contact whatsoever, then turns round and does a dumb fake hard man tackle on King to hand them a free kick at goal. Shit like this happens every single game with this guy.
Walters falling on his knees every time the ball comes near him - 8 disposals for the entire game!
Colyer running around like a headless chicken burning the footy with some woeful disposal.
Tucker absolutely anonymous despite playing in midfield all game.

Yeah Logue wasn’t great but at least he’s not afraid. And he kept us in the game in Adelaide last week with a great third quarter. If only he was our biggest problem, it wouldn’t be that bad then.

I don't even care at this point, just throw Amiss into the deep end, I don't care if he's ready or not. Remember when we debuted Western and Walker last year and thought Brandon wasn't ready, yet Joel was? Walker ended up being the better player.

Amiss, Sturt and Erasmus all need to be in this week.

The big question I have is how do we improve our midfield depth, to give Longmuir some options.

Walker has the ability to play forward and back, maybe even wing so I would bring him in.
Erasmus can play forward and mid and everywhere in between so he comes in.
Amiss comes in, as he is our last key forward standing.
Mundy if available should come in as well.

Darcy out due to injury.
Banfield and Schultz did not do enough, so someone else gets a go.
Walters is the 3rd who goes out.

If you are looking for one more, ODriscoll comes in for Frederick.

Further thoughts
I find it amazing, that we can be both short of mids in our 22 and have too many pure mids who can't play else where. Mundy, Brodie and Blakely can not play in same side and Brayshaw and Serong offer little outside of the midfield.

Switta is the only person playing who plays forward or back, and can run through the midfield. This must be a priority over the off season.

Also, I would like to push Young, Chapman and anyone else who has played midfield before and see how they go for 5 mins one quarter, and 10 mins over 2 quarters. We badly need some options through the midfield.

Why isn't Walters playing in the midfield? Speed, Size, Defensive run?? In my opinion, for him to be best 22, he needs to run through the middle.

Last edited:
His kicking is overrated by a few on here. Only gets it a handful of times and only half or slightly more are effective. Continually going back to these blokes that have been tried and tried and failed is taking us nowhere.
You mean the same guy that had a disposal effectiveness of 77% last year and was 4th in total goal assists, only 6 behind the leader but played 7 less games??
And the same guy who lays tackles inside 50?
Besides Munday, seems like he is the only player who can actually spot up a leading player.

Last edited:
Brodie was a free hit. I always saw him as depth and cover. He got exposed today and needs speed around him. That speed isn’t Logue. It’s actually hilarious this is even a consideration.

Sure trial Logue in the midfield at Peel. That at least means he’s been dropped, so I’m fine with that.

So if Brodie is all those things and cant function without speed around him why the **ck is he anywhere near the best 22.
Who cares if Brodie is a free hit. Shit is shit no matter what.
Useless free hits take up the same list place as a top 5 gun.

So if Brodie is all those things and cant function without speed around him why the **ck is he anywhere near the best 22.

I’m not disagreeing. I said Brodie is depth. No Fyfe or Mundy so Brodie got a game.

There was zero reason to play Logue other than this notion he is an automatic best 22 selection… which he isn’t.

If Cox comes back Logue should be dropped. NOT let’s see how he can go in the middle or wing or wherever because we think he’s best 22.

Either he’s in our starting back 6 or not. He’s not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The real victory in the Brodie deal was pick 19. Until we see Matt Johnson play, we don’t know how it went.
Brodie was a steak knives - I can’t believe people enough to he would be anything more than a fringe role player for us or depth.
Not making a rubbish Gold Coast side should be evidence enough of that

You mean the same guy that had a disposal effectiveness of 77% last year and was 4th in total goal assists, only 6 behind the leader but played 7 less games??
And the same guy who lays tackles inside 50?
Besides Munday, seems like he is the only player who can actually spot up a leading player.

yep that’s the guy…could play the midfielder as a midfielder and develop him further so that 15 quality possessions becomes 20, then 25 but what do I know.

the guy always makes the right choices, makes the decisions fast so it opens up play, is strong in the contest and gets the hand ball out, and hits a damn target.

Last edited:
What are peoples thoughts on Logue running through the middle for small period.

We badly need size in there, and I think he would do some good for 10 mins a game.
Yeah definitely. Try it. Try anything different at this stage. Isn’t that what coaching is? Jlo is Like a deer frozen in headlights to be honest.

yep that’s the guy…could play the midfielder as a midfielder and develop him further so that 15 quality possessions becomes 20, then 25 but what do I know.

the guy always makes the right choices, makes the decisions fast so it opens up play, is strong in the contest and gets the hand ball out, and hits a damn target.
So I guess we both have been watching the same player then :)
Yeah he is 39 games over 4 years. When given games, he is actually serviceable and has elite foot skills. Needs more opportunities to develop.

So I guess we both have been watching the same player then :)
Yeah he is 39 games over 4 years. When given games, he is actually serviceable and has elite foot skills. Needs more opportunities to develop.

too many look at raw numbers and not what happens when they get the ball

Yep, been ordinary since everyone sucked him off in that crows game on GC 2 years ago.

I've been a staunch defender until now. But there were instances in yesterday's game where he lacked his trademark desperation and was beaten as a result.

There is no point to him now. We have too many tall defenders when they're fit and every other intercepter we have is better in the air and by foot.

He's the #4 KPD when we should only be playing 2.

Tucker, I've given up on him now. He completely disappeared in the third quarter, would rather Crowden in there busting his gut then Tucker.
STK just worked hard all game, we gifted them the game by simply not wanting it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Prediction Round 3: Changes Vs Eagles + pre-match discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Back