Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

The Carlton v Hawks game was easily the toughest, high intensity match so far this season. It was physically brutal - I’m amazed so many players got up for the Saints game actually, especially the first/second year players… but yeh I guess they didn’t though really? TBH I don’t know what that means for this week thiugh .

Having missed the match I just watched the replay. I think a lot of people including myself underestimated the saints, they looked like a real unit. Talk about taking the wind out the sails. We are a good 2 years away from competing. A good lesson for our coaches. Moore has improved out of sight, our new Breust. That's about it, we go again

More disappointing was last week when Pittonet was getting into Reeves after he cause a goal from a direct turnover. Shoving him on the way back to the centre bounce taunting him - not one person over there to fly the flag. Humiliating for reeves imo
They probably saw the size of the tiny hands doing the shoving and thought nothing of it.

Watched the whole game listening to some great commentary from some fellow hawk fans on the members wing and the takeaways I have are as follows:
-Dylan Moore's two goals in two minutes at the start was electric, need more of that. Would consider playing him one out at times.
-the Ward stab pass up the guts leading to a goal was amazing, Harwick got to stop thinking he can pull off short kicks to opposition players in the backline or some time in the twos beckons.
-We're a lock for a decent draft pick 2022, need to get some more speed and quality disposal.
-Mitch Lewis is shaping as a decent decoy forward
-Scrimshaw is a great piece
-Missing a Shaun Burgoyne type leader Who can stand up under pressure in times of need
-Team should have rallied more after Day was taken out
-Reeves can pluck it and kick straight and would like to see him up forward more when Lynch is back, Paul Salmon 2.0?

Would like to see more game time into Brocky, Bramble and debuts to Long, Callow and Serong.

Love Nuke's game, would love to see him add a torpedo to his repertoire and kick some 65 metre goals to mix it up.

Watched the whole game listening to some great commentary from some fellow hawk fans on the members wing and the takeaways I have are as follows:
-Dylan Moore's two goals in two minutes at the start was electric, need more of that. Would consider playing him one out at times.
-the Ward stab pass up the guts leading to a goal was amazing, Harwick got to stop thinking he can pull off short kicks to opposition players in the backline or some time in the twos beckons.
-We're a lock for a decent draft pick 2022, need to get some more speed and quality disposal.
-Missing a Shaun Burgoyne type leader Who can stand up under pressure in times of need
-Reeves can pluck it and kick straight and would like to see him up forward more when Lynch is back, Paul Salmon 2.0?

Would like to see more game time into Brocky, Bramble and debuts to Long, Callow and Serong.

Love Nuke's game, would love to see him add a torpedo to his repertoire and kick some 65 metre goals to mix it up.

Mitch seems more than a decoy forward, although I agree it would be good to have another presence.

A bloke who's 3rd in the Coleman is more than a decoy fwd.

It's all part of the big brain decoy plan. Spread the word online that he's just a decoy forward so the footy world start to accept that as fact, and in an attempt not to be sucked in to falling for our decoy forward the opposition instead place an extra defender elsewhere leaving Lewis completely unmanned.

But little do they know the real decoy forward all along was letting the world believe Lewis was just a decoy forward. In reality he's a decoy-decoy forward. AKA, our go-to target.

season 7 episode 21 GIF

It's all part of the big brain decoy plan. Spread the word online that he's just a decoy forward so the footy world start to accept that as fact, and in an attempt not to be sucked in to falling for our decoy forward the opposition instead place an extra defender elsewhere leaving Lewis completely unmanned.

But little do they know the real decoy forward all along was letting the world believe Lewis was just a decoy forward. In reality he's a decoy-decoy forward. AKA, our go-to target.

season 7 episode 21 GIF
It's 5D Chess!!!

It’s the biggest problem with our list, that our best player uses the ball so poorly.
I'm aware that DE is a flawed stat, but 72% for an inside mid is pretty good. His handballing effectiveness is elite, his KE at around 52 is abhorrent.

By comparison:

Jaeger 69% DE, 61% KE (poor)
Worpel 64.5%, 55% KE (terrible)
Phillips 71%, 63% KE (decent)
Newk 66% DE, 60% KE (poor)

AFL won't let me see Ward and Macdonald, but i'd imagine they would be the best efficiency-wise outside of Nash (who averages in the 80s for both KE and DE!)

i'd say the biggest problem with our list isn't isolated to just Mitch, but the midfield group as a whole's inability to use the ball well under pressure. At least Tom's handballs hit the target more often than not, unlike some of the others who are obsessed with hitting up people's feet. But we can see just by watching Ward and CMac that the solutions are there, we just need more game-time into them.

I'm enjoying Sam prioritising giving CBAs to blokes not named JOM TOM or JIM, but i also don't think it's a coincidence that our best clearance results have come when Tom and Jaeger are given more emphasis in the middle. However, we lost the two games where that was the case – so is it even the best way to utilise our current list?

I'm aware that DE is a flawed stat, but 72% for an inside mid is pretty good. His handballing effectiveness is elite, his KE at around 52 is abhorrent.

By comparison:

AFL won't let me see Ward and Macdonald, but i'd imagine they would be the best efficiency-wise outside of Nash (who averages in the 80s for both KE and DE!)

i'd say the biggest problem with our list isn't isolated to just Mitch, but the midfield group as a whole's inability to use the ball well under pressure. At least Tom's handballs hit the target more often than not, unlike some of the others who are obsessed with hitting up people's feet. But we can see just by watching Ward and CMac that the solutions are there, we just need more game-time into them.

I'm enjoying Sam prioritising giving CBAs to blokes not named JOM TOM or JIM, but i also don't think it's a coincidence that our best clearance results have come when Tom and Jaeger are given more emphasis in the middle. However, we lost the two games where that was the case – so is it even the best way to utilise our current list?
I think the most damning thing with our kicking efficiency is how most of players take the short safe option and still have low numbers.

Really only Duke and Worps try and open the game up for us by foot out of our midfielders. Admittedly neither is good by foot.

Mitchell and Phillips take the short 25 metre kick or long to a pack every time and still miss a fair bit. Add in both get a lot of ball on the outside and the numbers aren’t good.

Petracca is going at 50% but has been so valuable as he takes the game on. Even if erratic by foot on occasion.

I can take lower numbers taking the game on. But we have low numbers playing safe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dimma isn't going to the twos any time soon, those kick ins were ****ing dreadful tho.

We're not a lock for a decent draft pick, unless decent is just any first round pick. Or whatever you consider decent i have no idea.

Decoy forward? wow.

Agree on the Silk comment, don't think we have a leader out there sometimes, Sicily was the closest to it i thought but Jaeger needs to if he wants to be a leader.

Day was put down, but got up after a little (a few went over) and played on, if it was bad bad like knocked out cold. It would've been. I suspect this may be the message from Sam also, get behind each other and rally them up for Easter Monday.

By comparison:

Tom had a great game, most of his kicks Sunday hit targets or were long to contests.

His handballing game is elite tho, his ability to dish it out in so many ways and quickly to release players is so underrated it's not funny. He had 7 centre clearances aswell which was unreal.

Handballed more but looking at his kicks they were what i want to see from him, long to contests and picking out blokes in space which he's shown to do well, he just can't hit up lead up targets too often or too well, doesn't get enough penetration in his kicks, unless he gives it a big ol wind up haha.

-
Thought the issue was our turnovers and running, we let them get on the outside too often which just opened up the G.

Got to own the outside like we did the first few rounds and that's where our game off HB can excel. Our midfield was better and in particular Titch who had his best game of the year by far and had 7 centre clearances which was probably the most i've seen him have since 2018, which is when obviously he's at his best, he didn't have bulk CBAs either, we just need to make sure we're giving more to Newcombe cause his body and presence in there is very good, Ward needed alot more today tho, only 6 compared to 19 the week before.

CMac got a few and i was happy with that, Worpel was poor and either goes out this week or if he plays he has to do something or it's BH the week after (bye this week). Finn came on as the med sub, found a fair bit of the footy in the short amount of time and did pretty well and got the CBAs he'd been crying out for, if Worpel goes out Finn would stay in and be the bloke in there, can run but he's also got the big body 190cm and a strong midfielder. He's got the pace/explosiveness aswell, just needs to spend some time in there.

But we do need the Ward, CMac (Wingard if he plays) class in there.

I wouldn't mind seeing Ned Long very soon!

I think the most damning thing with our kicking efficiency is how most of players take the short safe option and still have low numbers.

Really only Duke and Worps try and open the game up for us by foot out of our midfielders. Admittedly neither is good by foot.

Mitchell and Phillips take the short 25 metre kick or long to a pack every time and still miss a fair bit. Add in both get a lot of ball on the outside and the numbers aren’t good.

Petracca is going at 50% but has been so valuable as he takes the game on. Even if erratic by foot on occasion.

I can take lower numbers taking the game on. But we have low numbers playing safe.
Phillips i am not sure about but on Titch he tries to take the short kicks too often, often it's not him missing but the other bloke not taking it which leads to an ineffective kick and turnover.

It has to be a 30+ kick unless to a bloke in space or running into space.

Phillips i am not sure about but on Titch he tries to take the short kicks too often, often it's not him missing but the other bloke not taking it which leads to an ineffective kick and turnover.

It has to be a 30+ kick unless to a bloke in space or running into space.
Mitchell gets under his kicks too much. Results in giving the opposition plenty of time to get to intercept.

So even when it’s on target, it’s still a poor kick. He will kick it 20 metres and put a teammate under the pump. He has the same problem with his handballs. The guy receiving it always under pressure.

He needs to be way more constructive with his disposal. The player getting the ball is often under more pressure than what Mitchell was.

Mitchell gets under his kicks too much. Results in giving the opposition plenty of time to get to intercept.

So even when it’s on target, it’s still a poor kick. He will kick it 20 metres and put a teammate under the pump. He has the same problem with his handballs. The guy receiving it always under pressure.

He needs to be way more constructive with his disposal. The player getting the ball is often under more pressure than what Mitchell was.
Yep and i don't think he can really fix that as he hasn't so far.

And no his handballs aren't the same you lost me there.

His handballing is his strength clearly, he's one of the best in the comp i'd say. He's able to flick it quickly, effectively and usually to someone in a better position, he showed it fully on display against St Kilda where he was digging it out to teammates from clearances, picking it up taking the tackle and releasing and it was really good to see how well he moved aswell to go along with this (after his Groin complaint in the pre season and after all his, shoulder, broken leg issues from the last couple years.)

His kicks are good when. He kicks long, he kicks to a bloke leading to space, or just kicking to space where someone can move into it, but when he tries to hit a target he basically needs to wind up to get any chance of enough penetration, he's able to do it but sometimes he doesn't (get's rushed sometimes) which leads to too much air on a short kick which leads to turnovers.

And yeah nah, Mitchell was so good in his 2018 brownlow year because he was able to take the pressure absorb it like a sponge and dish off the footy to someone in a position better than his and to go forward, that to go along with his unreal clearance work, tackling pressure and ability to go forward.

He's been able to show that in patches since, but not consistently, we'll see if he can again.

He was good against St Kilda, he really showed his ability to win the centre clearance isn't gone which is what made him so good. He's also been pretty good in getting forward this season and getting a shot on goal (has had 3 or 4 in the 4 games and has missed a couple, but he's getting the opportunities.) this to go along with a goal assist a game and 7.3 score involvements a game.

Also his contested game on the weekend was super 18 contested possessions.

They were cheating fwd of the ball at all costs. We can probably take something from it, if we start to win more contests.
And not turn it over constantly. Hit some targets and we would have been out the other way

Also the more we turn it over the more it encourages them to cheat the other way

Last edited:

Resting ruck to be the decoy? When Reeves got down there Lewis seemed more effective

Lynch has had some rotten luck we need a good run of games with the three together to see where it’s going

Mitch Lewis a decoy?

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Round 4: Hawks have mare against Saints

Remove this Banner Ad

Back